Sponsored by:

Uk 2000 S/S exhausts?!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2008, 09:49 PM
STU13 B
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uk 2000 S/S exhausts?!

Hi guys and girls, well i have just brought a standard mint UK2000 Turbo on a T plate with only 52k on the clock and have caught the modding bug.

Basicly i want 2 change the exhaust with something a bit more special 2 unleash the classic scooby burble. I want a turbo back 2 get rid of both the cats. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Im also looking at getting a induction kit and BOV. What would u reccomened?

Hope u can help.

Stu
Old 04 February 2008, 03:21 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

blitz nur spec-r for the centre and back. decat downpipe from a reputable seller to finish it off.

induction kit??? why, get a decent panel air filer for £40 and save yourself the hassle. many on here agree my99 cars arent particular to indiction kits due to weak m.a.f. sensors.

b.o.v. again some like some dont. i have a simple baileys one, but i dont kill my car everywhere. forge, baileys, hks....

welcome anyways. piccies??
Old 04 February 2008, 09:43 AM
STU13 B
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply

What do u think of this? Impreza Turbo 1993-2000 Classic : Subaru Impreza Performance Exhaust System Package seems like a good price and good bit of kit altho i presume its 2.5" bore?

Thats intresting. So has anyone got an induction kit on there MY99 then?

Think im gona go for the HKS SSQV, not cheep tho!

Cheer for your help!
Old 04 February 2008, 10:16 AM
STU13 B
Scooby Newbie

Does anyone run there scooby without a recirc/bov? I used 2 on my S14a, and my mate does on his FQ300 and it gives nice compression surge. Its it possible on these?
Old 04 February 2008, 01:14 PM
STU13 B
Scooby Newbie

Anyone?!
Old 04 February 2008, 03:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Exhaust: Have a look at TSL's "Group N" stuff, nicely made, sounds good, not too loud but when you boot it, wow! It'll also release a few more horses, about 30, iirc.

DO NOT decat unless you know a friendly MoT station, and if you don't, DO keep your cats!

Induction kit: Sorry, but the 99 cars were/are the ones which it is easy to kill the maf, and soon after, the engine. Don't fit an induction kit, go for a decent panel filter. Nothing in it for power, they both give the same result.

BOV: Again, my advice would be don't. You already HAVE a dumpvalve, a recirculating type, and this is the one that suits the car, and will NOT destroy your engine. If you don't like the OE plastic one, then by all means buy another, but stick to a recirculating type if you must waste money

Alcazar
Old 04 February 2008, 05:24 PM
STU13 B
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
Exhaust: Have a look at TSL's "Group N" stuff, nicely made, sounds good, not too loud but when you boot it, wow! It'll also release a few more horses, about 30, iirc.

DO NOT decat unless you know a friendly MoT station, and if you don't, DO keep your cats!

Induction kit: Sorry, but the 99 cars were/are the ones which it is easy to kill the maf, and soon after, the engine. Don't fit an induction kit, go for a decent panel filter. Nothing in it for power, they both give the same result.

BOV: Again, my advice would be don't. You already HAVE a dumpvalve, a recirculating type, and this is the one that suits the car, and will NOT destroy your engine. If you don't like the OE plastic one, then by all means buy another, but stick to a recirculating type if you must waste money

Alcazar
Thanks for the advise on the exhaust and induction kit. I think its gona have 2 be the 1 on Scoobyworld i think.

As for the BOV as already stated in my other post im well aware it has a standard recirc. I was actually wondering if its possible 2 run without any D/V to get compression surge AKA Pigeon flutter? I have also never heard of an aftermarket BOV that can distroy your engine
Old 04 February 2008, 09:13 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

STU13 B..... You have a PM mate !!!
Old 05 February 2008, 01:22 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

You can disable the recirc valve to get compressOR surge, but why do you want to deliberately shorten the life of your turbo and risk a catastrphic failure?

Simon
Old 05 February 2008, 02:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by STU13 B

As for the BOV as already stated in my other post im well aware it has a standard recirc. I was actually wondering if its possible 2 run without any D/V to get compression surge AKA Pigeon flutter?
As good a way as any to destoy the turbo, I suppose. That's what the stock DV is there to avoid.

I have also never heard of an aftermarket BOV that can distroy your engine
It's not the DV that destroys the engine, it's what it does

The OE recirc type takes air that has been metered by the MAF, and puts it BACK into the system before the turbo, so that fuelling is kept correct.

A VTA DV takes that metered air and dumps it to atmosphere, so that the fuelling is now far too rich. This in turn leads to bore fuel wash, valve burning, thinning of your oil, damage to any cats, etc etc. It CAN lead to melted pistons.

Doubtless there will be those who will come on here and say, "Go for it guy, it worked well on my RS Turbo etc", but before you do, ask yourself this:

Why do NO reputable tuners, plus Prodrive and Subaru themselves, use VTA dumpvalves?

Just a thought..........

Alcazar
Old 05 February 2008, 02:51 PM
STU13 B
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by The rookie
You can disable the recirc valve to get compressOR surge, but why do you want to deliberately shorten the life of your turbo and risk a catastrphic failure?

Simon

2bh i ran my S14a for 50k and not once did i have a problem. Not saying thats right for all cars, and becuase im now starting 2 learn Scoobys i was just wondering what my options where.
Old 05 February 2008, 02:56 PM
STU13 B
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
As good a way as any to destoy the turbo, I suppose. That's what the stock DV is there to avoid.

It's not the DV that destroys the engine, it's what it does

The OE recirc type takes air that has been metered by the MAF, and puts it BACK into the system before the turbo, so that fuelling is kept correct.

A VTA DV takes that metered air and dumps it to atmosphere, so that the fuelling is now far too rich. This in turn leads to bore fuel wash, valve burning, thinning of your oil, damage to any cats, etc etc. It CAN lead to melted pistons.

Doubtless there will be those who will come on here and say, "Go for it guy, it worked well on my RS Turbo etc", but before you do, ask yourself this:

Why do NO reputable tuners, plus Prodrive and Subaru themselves, use VTA dumpvalves?

Just a thought..........

Alcazar
Very intresting mate, and point well made.

Didnt the P2 concept which prodrive made have lots of compression surge?
Old 05 February 2008, 04:26 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Another option on the downpipe is to go for a sports cat. I used to have a decat fitted (MY00 classic), then swapped it for a sports cat and to be honest I didn't notice any drop in horsepower. And it has no problems at MoT time.
Old 06 February 2008, 04:34 PM
STU13 B
Scooby Newbie

Yeah i might well consider that Tony. Where did u get yours from and how much?

Stu
Old 06 February 2008, 05:22 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

exhaust - magnex full system, hayward scott downpipe...all decatted, sounds amazing on boost but subtle for normal/motorway driving

ind kit - def not for reasons described above

bov - again def not for reasons described above
Old 06 February 2008, 05:37 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

2bh i ran my S14a for 50k and not once did i have a problem. Not saying thats right for all cars, and becuase im now starting 2 learn Scoobys i was just wondering what my options where.

as long as its not doing at high boost then it wont be a problem, mine does it at lower boost.

normmaly you need an induction kit, and front mount to get it to do it, but as said only does it at low boost
Old 06 February 2008, 06:00 PM
catons scooby
Scooby Regular

i have a full 2.5" exhaust turbo back, and its a roger clark motorsport, lovely deep burble, or i have a vortex afterburner b/box insted if you like the louder raspy sound its the angled version,