Sponsored by:

Watch your credit cardsguys& girls

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2002, 07:32 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Some W@nker.......some where took a copy of my credit card without my knowledge and had a good old spend on it, The scary thing is they ordered very expensive Car Hi-Fi on it and had it delivered to my address were they going to break in and nick it???.........The police think yes........So keep an eye on your cards, am I nervous you bet I am.......thankfully I have a great guard dog and Yes she will bite if I tell her too.
Cheers
Colin
And a baseball bat at the ready.......and Yes I will use it.
Old 19 January 2002, 09:40 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

That's a bit cheeky to say the least!! What a nightmare. Hope things sort themselves out
Old 19 January 2002, 09:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I reckon you ordered it while drunk

Most people bought their Gold Wheels while 'under the influence'

Pete
Old 19 January 2002, 09:57 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Red face

LOL@ps, seriously is bad news if someone has your address too, i'd be calling some mates and hanging about lieing in wait.
Old 19 January 2002, 10:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Thats whats confusing isnt it?? How do they know the address?? This should reduce the places where it was used which entailed address giving - certainly my local Shell garage doesnt require to know my address. So it boils down to somewhere where you ordered something and they required a delivery address?

OR you gave your card number over an analogue cordless phone!

Pete
Old 20 January 2002, 11:22 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The other crazy thing is when they ordered the HI-Fi they left 2 phone numbers one that did not exsit and a mobile number which did, the police are following this up hopefully they will get to them before I do.
Cheers
Colin
Old 20 January 2002, 01:02 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

Hi Colin,

Sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience and few weeks ago. Someone tried to book a holiday(?!!!) on my card, worth just under £1k!! Luckily my bank wrote to me asking if it was a fraudulent transaction before putting it through, which I was well impressed with.

I too am now nervous of where I use my card and i'll also check on insurance, I think there's some sort of Card Guard scheme for £10 a year, which sounds worthwhile

Do you have any insurance cover on your card?

Hope you get it sorted

Lou
Old 20 January 2002, 01:20 PM
ChrisB

Interesting thought on CardGuard Lou.

I've been signed up for a few years. I always thought they only covered you for miss-use if the card was lost or stolen. Time to dig out the T&Cs to see if cloning or miss-use without the card going missing is covered.

I know the grief it causes though. I had an ISP make three seperate charges onto a card I'd paid them with a few years back. I still had the card active so the transactions just appeared on my statement. Total value was around £500. I disputed them and all have been credited back to me.
Old 20 January 2002, 03:50 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

It possible that whoever got your card did their buying online. A lot of places nowadays will only send the goods you buy to the address on the card, and they might not realise this. The other thing is, if they have been buying online, find out who the company they bought from is and contact them, often companies will keep records of the purchaser's IP Address, and once you've got this and the time they purchased you can find out quite a lot. There are websites on the internet that will tell you which ISP they're using, then you can contact them and find out the account details for who had that IP at that time.

Its worth a go mate, if you have problems with people not wanting to tell you the details, explain to them your situation and if they still wont, ask the police (helps if you know someone who knows someone i think ) to do it for you.
Old 20 January 2002, 05:20 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Col.

You sure that this isn't Jamie pulling a fast one

You obviously need to up his pocket money

Hugh
Old 20 January 2002, 06:25 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've always been wary with my card since the owner of the petrol station across form where I work was detained at her maj's pleasure for accessory to fraud. He was giving credit card numbers to a mate, who was then ordering goods from catalogues and mail order firms for all the people on the local council estate. The stuff was delivered to a vacant council house. My bosses card got stung for a three grand holiday in America.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR STATEMENT!
Old 20 January 2002, 06:27 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Guys.......Thanks for the sympathy, I have today fitted cctv cos who ever it was tried to get into the house on Friday to get the goods, I hope this will be an end to it but if not me and the baseball bat will be waiting and the dog too.....Hugh, Jamie said you are a dead man next time he see's you Cos the police asked him the same question and he was not happy ah........Bless him I thought it was quite funny cos he said to this rather big policeman he was not into pain and that after they had nicked him he would then have to come home and face me.
Cheers
Colin
Old 21 January 2002, 10:58 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

For that reason, I only ever use my Switch card to withdraw cash. I buy everything using the credit card. That way, fraudsters can only run up bills on your card, rather than actually withdraw money from your bank account. Refusing to pay a fraudulent bill is a lot easier than trying to get money put back into your bank account.