Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2008, 05:56 PM
scoobypodster
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol smell in my oil

Hi everyone.
First post here, so be nice.

First off, the car in question is a Legacy, but as the engines are the same as Impreza engines, I'm hoping you can help me out.

I bought myself a Legacy 2.0 non turbo as a run about, it's a X reg (2000).
I figured I had better do a service soon and so checked the oil level and color, straight away I noticed a strong smell of petrol in the oil.

So the question is, what could cause this, i figured piston rings, but now think it could be any number of things causing it.

Any ideas anyone ?
Old 22 January 2008, 06:29 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could it be just the oil vapour? i ahve got a oil catch can, and the stuff that comes out of that really stinks
Old 22 January 2008, 06:32 PM
newbiefreddy
Scooby Regular

hope its not a issue mines new and it smells
I think its normal. Would think unless you've got smoke coming out the back its fine.
Old 22 January 2008, 06:45 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

it is a possiblilty that the fuel is not being burnt and or is running too rich therefore any excess fuel can seep down between the rings and end up in the sump

which is what my uk tubo is doing at the moment and i have been advised not to drive it and get it in for a remap to sort out the over fueling.

not saying it is the same as yours but it can happen, if the fuel is stong enough it can cause the lube in the bearings to wash out therfore leaving metal on metal,

i suggest you get it to a garage to be safe

steve
Old 22 January 2008, 07:02 PM
scoobypodster
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stevie1982
it is a possiblilty that the fuel is not being burnt and or is running too rich therefore any excess fuel can seep down between the rings and end up in the sump

which is what my uk tubo is doing at the moment and i have been advised not to drive it and get it in for a remap to sort out the over fueling.

not saying it is the same as yours but it can happen, if the fuel is stong enough it can cause the lube in the bearings to wash out therfore leaving metal on metal,

i suggest you get it to a garage to be safe

steve
Now that sounds possible.
I will defo get it looked at.
Thanks.
Old 22 January 2008, 07:38 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

How strong is the smell? I have noticed on every petrol car that i have had that the oil has smelled a little like petrol anyways (and my Impreza is probably the strongest of them all)

I just assumed it was normal (considering its only done 16k and the oil is pretty clean still)... although i have been told that as standard the STi runs rich so that may explain mine.. but to help you with yours mate, mine smells of petrol too. (1.5yr old STi @ 16k miles & FSSH)
Old 22 January 2008, 07:52 PM
scoobypodster
Scooby Newbie

Thats settled then, I've got nothing to worry about.
I'll just give it a damn good service, then get rid
Then buy me a twin turbo legacy

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2008, 05:03 PM
gt5500
Scooby Regular

I think all but a freshly run in engine will suffer some piston blow by which will obvioulsy make the oil smell of petrol. However the blow by gets worse and worse the more worn the liners/pistons and rings get, so strong petrol smell can indicate a worn engine. This doesn't mean that its going to stop working or anything, but if you are worried you can always get a compression check done to rest your mind. As said it can also be caused by overly rich fuel settings but you would also have sluggish performance, heavy fuel use and black plugs, a trained 'nose' would also pick up the unburnt fuel smell in the exhaust fumes.