Sponsored by:

How long ....

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2000, 02:51 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Probably around the same time ***** who bunch up doing 18 to 25 mph with all their fog lights blazing on a completely straight (and empty) stretch of road with a smattering of mist, where visibility is in excess of 500 yards and no ice, get out of the way of people who are not cacking themselves and know the road.

Bloody sheep!

See, it all depends on where you're coming from, Mr "King of The Road".

What makes your driving so holy then? You're going to phone the police and tell them what?

Who the hell are you to remonstrate with anyone?

Maybe he thinks he should send the police round to you to ask why you drove like a Wendy behind 5 other cars.

If you want to overtake, then overtake. If you don't fine, but why whinge because somebody else wanted to? Why not just let them?

Isn't this similar to the reaction of the motorway lane hoggers everyone complains about?

There are two sides to every story.

Old 19 December 2000, 05:39 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Bad day BK? Or are you still longing for the weekends wide open spaces.

Rumour has it that it's gates not traffic that holds you up
Old 19 December 2000, 09:13 PM
Dales
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its definitely not a rumour....
Old 19 December 2000, 10:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I'll second that (as Dales' navigator). The directions lovingly printed off by Craft were discarded to the door pocket after following BK for 10 minutes
Old 20 December 2000, 01:05 PM
Naunt
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

They may have had a birthing woman in the back seat and been on mercy run to the hospital. (I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt)

But seriously, they may have had a very good reason for wanting to get past you, I know that when I've picked up my nice warm take away......

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2000, 08:27 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

....and while you are wasting police time some lowlife is burgling my house.....
Old 21 December 2000, 09:36 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Wanting to overtake is no excuse for tailgating somebody - you should keep a safe distance until a safe overtaking opportunity exists.

And sometimes, driving "like a Wendy" is unavoidable, and annoying, if Wendy happens to be 4 cars ahead and there is a constant stream of traffic from the opposite direction.

Patience is a virtue. But sometimes a Scooby can relieve you of needing patience

[Edited cos I can't slepp]

[This message has been edited by Mungo (edited 21 December 2000).]
Old 21 December 2000, 09:43 AM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Amazing, now your all supporting tailgaters. Jeeeeeesus.
Old 21 December 2000, 09:49 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Who's supporting tailgaters?

I'm certainly not, I'm simply pointing out that one person's "reasonable queue" is another person's "line of ditherers".

Had it today where I'm the fifth car in line behind a JCB. Plenty, and I mean plenty, of opportunities for us all to safely filter past one by one, EXCEPT THAT the numpty in the metro at the front of the queue would simply not overtake the JCB!

Result 5 miles or so at milk float pace, with a huge queue of traffic building back, all because of one ditherer who should not be in charge of a pram!
Old 21 December 2000, 10:05 AM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Yes but theres still NO NEED to sit up someones ****.
Old 21 December 2000, 10:14 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Did it ever occur to you that the Metro driver might not feel safe overtaking the JCB? Or that his car simply was unable to do it?

Having driven a Scooby for over a year, I find that I often forget just how much quicker I am than most cars on the street, never mind a 10 year old Metro!

If people want to drive below the speed limit, that's their right, as long as they don't impede other drivers' progress by blocking the road, speeding up, or not leaving a gap in front of them.

As is pointed out on all the good driver training courses, sitting 2 inches off someone's bumper actually makes it <I>harder</I> to overtake them!

[This message has been edited by DavidRB (edited 21 December 2000).]
Old 21 December 2000, 10:39 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I think there is a difference between a tailgater and a line of traffic ...

the wife ( Wendy Mungo ) does't feel she has the need to overtake the vehicle in front if she's making comfortable progress (?) so she is quite happy to stay in a line of traffic close to but not over the speedlimit .... when she does come upto a JCB or the like she does tend to wait a lot longer than average and times her overtaking manouver and takes no risk at all rather than some folk that will risk everything just to squeeze past in time ...almost collecting the digger bucket on the swerve back in ...

Tailgaters in my opinion are drivers who treat all cars in front as "backmarkers" and have to overtake at all costs, I personly don't like "brake testing" them but I do find the h/lamp washers very useful in this situation, they always seem to back off with their wipers going
I had to travel the length of the A/M42 early yesterday and even cruising at **mph in a line of evenly spaced cars about a mile long you still get the vectra or alfa drivers coming upto the back of the car leaving no more than 5-10ft and even flashing me ( boy do I hate that ) to get me to move back into lane 1 so they can get one car ahead ...

WHY ?

K
Old 21 December 2000, 11:48 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Muppets! You don't know the meaning of the word.

What ever happened to having an opinion or different point of view?

You really are such a..well...Doofus!

At least we're getting a bit of healthy debate instead of the usual Patrician patronising followed by beatification of those Knights Templar of the road, Scooby drivers.

Totally agree with the motorway thing. I used to drive back down to Croydon from the Wirral approx 15 years ago, and by the time you get to the jams entering London, there are all the cars who hurtled past, some of them an hour earlier, queuing up with the plebs!

Nowadays, often see the usual supects doing exactly the same thing every day on the M62. Bombing along nose to tail getting angry with each other, slowing to a crawl/standstill from the Brighouse junction to beyond Leeds where everybody they passed catches them up.

EVERY DAY, they do it EVERY DAY. The same people do it EVERY DAY.

No wonder the government can tax the living #*#% out of them, they never learn. Isn't that going to be a problem with a course of driver education?

Oh, and my apologies to all you Wendys out there who drive like robbers.
Old 23 December 2000, 09:54 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Question

Kev

I am not a fan of tailgating where it is not necessary, but sometimes it is the only way to get lane hoggers out of the way when on a clear motorway. I agree with you that if you are making good progress, along with the person in front then no hassle, but if you are stuck behind someone in the right hand lane who is sticking to 65 and refusing to pull in to the [empty] left hand lane it is annoying. However I picked this habit up from a trip to Italy where I drove 400 miles on the motorway - tailgating is just a way of life over there, and the motorways are far more free flowing than ours.

I find all this sticking to the speed limit, and not tailgating, and not this and that a bit hypacritical from Scooby drivers - at the end of the day you bought a Scooby for the speed of it, and not looks and interior - certainly not economy

I agree with the inappropriate speed rule - i.e. I dont go tearing through towns, or past schools, but I do open it up a bit on motorways and quiet A/B roads. If someone is driving in front of me on a motorway/dual carriageway, UNDER the speed limit, and in perfect conditions, and they refuse to move over I will tailgate them in the hope that they will get bored and move over. After all the outside lanes are for overtaking only and not sitting there like king of the hill.

Hands up those of you that have never tailgated anyone, or broken the speed limit? Thankyou

Old 23 December 2000, 10:45 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

I wouldn't say Italy was a great place to pick up motorway driving tips from, unless you think drifting randomly from lane to lane and doing 90+ with 2" between you and next car is an example to us all

Steve
Old 29 December 2000, 03:02 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Oh great. Now he asks for a show of hands on the internet.

I've never tailgated anyone. I have tried to overtake people and they have slowed down so I have been closer to them than I wanted to be.

I have never exceeded the speed limit. (through Marsden).