Help needed fitting scoobysport backbox :(

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2000, 11:38 AM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Guys,

Just bought scoobysport exhaust, full system.

Having problems fitting the backbox, there is less than 1cm gap from the backbox and the bottom left corner of the rear diff, so when going over bumps it hits and makes a right horrible noise.

Tried replacing the rubber bushings with harder ones, this helped but not perfect.

Could somebody with the same backbox tell me how much gap there is supposed to be?

Im wondering if it is the design, or maybe I have a bad one. Bad news is where I live is just a little too far from the UK.

Thks
Andy
Old 26 December 2000, 08:02 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy,
I can pass one of my fingers between the corner of the diff and the pipe, (by the way I'm an engineer, but I can't be bothered to crawl under the car to measure the gap exactly).
I had problems with mine catching, specifically when reversing up my drive.
I removed the box, gripped the section of bar that makes the rear hanger in a vice and 'manipulated' it with a bigish hammer, to stretch the drivers side rod away from the box, and pushed the passenger side rod closer to the box.

This had the effect of moving the rear silencer and the forward section of pipe farther over to the left hand side of the car, increasing clearance with the diff.

WORD OF WARNING however, if you choose to adopt this procedure, YOU MUST ENSURE THAT THE BAR IS HELD VERY TIGHTLY IN THE VICE.
You have to guarantee that the hammer blows on the rod are not allowed to push the rod against the material of the box itself, or the box may rip, or distort.

Grip the rod in the vice as close to the side of the box as you can, then manipulate the rod, that is sticking out away from the vice,repeat for the other side.

Cheers MTR
Old 26 December 2000, 08:24 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've fitted my scoobysport back box to three different turbo's MY98 and 2 MY00's and its fitted perfectly to all of them so unless you've got a bad one, unless the centre section you've fitted could be be out of alignment. Best of luck sorting it out cause it don't half sound good.
Adge
Old 28 December 2000, 09:43 PM
RobMac
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The best way to stop it hitting the drive shaft is to loosen the two bolts connecting the back box to the centre section.

Then as you re-tighten them, pull the joint downwards to create some tension in the joint (you might want someone to help, although it's not necessary.)

This tightens the joint at a VERY slight angle, and stops the system from making those horrible noises! Works every time...

Did it to my car, and a few others with the same problem, and Hey Presto!!! no more rubbing!

Rob.
Old 29 December 2000, 01:41 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

We fitted some rigid bushes which helped a lot but it still clonks occasionally.

Have to say the scoobysport full system is a belter! MUCH better than the other japanese stuff I've tried. Thanks again to Pete and Co at Scoobysport for shipping it all the way to hongkong.

Cheers, Mark
another scoobysport happy customer