Sponsored by:

Front fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2008, 10:22 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Front fog lights

Has anyone else noticed what seems to be the new trend that is, whilst driving at night instead of using your HEADLIGHTS you use your FRONT FOG LIGHTS instead!!!
Seems to be only chavs in there little 206's etc that are doing it.
Any way what I really wanted to say was F***ING TURN YOUR B****** LIGHTS ON.
I also thought it was illegal to have your fog lights on while it wasnt foggy????
Does this pi$$ anyone else off or am I just getting a grumpy git?
Any other comments are welcome

Marx
Old 14 January 2008, 10:26 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Minis have the same switch problem.

All the medium sized people carriers seem to as well.

It is irritating but not as irritating when they have their rear foglight on.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:30 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean about chavs driving with their side lights on (usually in blue or green) with their fogs on. Also you see Mercs, BMW, Fords, etc with their headlights on and also their fogs on when it is not even foggy.

I only reason I can think they are doing this is because their headlights are ****e and they need more light on the road. But in doing this, your eyes are focusing on the fog light beam which is much shorter and you are not really looking ahead far enough...or something like that.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:50 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae
Has anyone else noticed what seems to be the new trend that is, whilst driving at night instead of using your HEADLIGHTS you use your FRONT FOG LIGHTS instead!!!
I also thought it was illegal to have your fog lights on while it wasnt foggy????

Marx
Totally agree. It does my frikking nut in. I was sat behind someone the other night and they had their rear fogs beaming into my eyes and one brake light out with the other very badly lighting up. Tried to flash the guy a couple of times to let them know I was there and also and being blinded, just in case they had done it accidentally but the idiot was completely oblivious (btw I was not sat on his bumper either or anything fyi, grrrr @ tailgaters ). Turned out his front fogs were on as well and the guy must have had his indicators snapped off as per BMW and Merc drivers, he just randomly decided to do manouvres on the road with absolutely no indication. I would have politely let him know at the traffic lights we were coming up to but he turned off to the left up ahead, again with no indication, nearly taking out another motorist in the process
Yes, I believe it is illegal to drive with fogs on, I know of peeps who have been pulled by the cops for having them on (years ago though) but they don't seem to bother any more. I suppose there are more important things for plod to be looking out for but the law is the law for cryin' out loud.

Rant over, lol
Old 14 January 2008, 10:58 AM
krisclarkuk
Scooby Regular

People have been doing this for years... does my head in.

I think you get people that are;

1) chavs and things its cool that their car has fog lights and want the rally loook... along with their painted rear drum brakes and fake rear discs

2) old people that forget they had them turned on in 2003 when it was last foggy enough to have them on and their car doesnt auto cancel out either their front or rear lights

3) people that dont fall into either category and are idiots

I think in all the time ive been driving ive HAD to use my front fog lights maybe twice, when its thick enough you cant see the lines on the road or the car in front even though they have their fog light on

The sidelight/Foglight thing is just stoopid though... that is deaf a chav thing or someone that doesnt know they have their fog lights on and think its just dark enough for side lights (might as well put main beam on if you need your lights on imho). Rear foglights... well i thought these auto cancel in 99% of cars so why these are on i have no idea, only guess is its a car like a megan where you haev to have teh rears on to have the fronts on.

stoopid fog-light drivers
Old 14 January 2008, 11:00 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

I think the thing that is annoying me the most about it is the fact that when your stood in traffic and there up your **** so to speak, you cant really tell if there there since the fog lights are lower than my rear windscreen
Old 14 January 2008, 11:29 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

sme young rover mg driving **** was behind me he other day with his fogs on blinding me in myrear view mirror for about twomiles after plenty of warning (me flashing my rear rear fog light numerous times) to get him to turn them off i stopped dead in the road with him stopping behind me vibrating my car with his tunes not even noticing really that i have stopped on an empty road, slammed the car into reverse and started moving towrds his nice shiney yellow turd mobile (you should of seen his spotty face he shat himself while trying to select reverse) after that his foglights were imidiately switched off. i think the thought of havin a rangerover towbar and bikerack attatchment inbedded in the front of probably his mums car worried him slightly.

i know it was naughty but it worked . i had a nice drive home after that with my retinas in tact
Old 14 January 2008, 11:59 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Rear fog lights grinds my gears more.

Front facing ones just incur a 100w dazzle.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:21 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing new, its been chavtastically happening for years.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:24 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Nothing new, its been chavtastically happening for years.
True, i got pulled 11 years ago for driving my classic with front fogs on. (In my defense, i did think they were driving lights and i'd just got it )
Old 14 January 2008, 12:27 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae

Marx
1) Yes, you are a grumpy git Mark.

2) Yes, it's illegal and you can be fined for it (no points though).
Old 14 January 2008, 12:33 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Well I will prob get shot down for this but I normally run with all my front lights on mainly due to the very rural roads with big pot holes and lots of road kill issues I just find that they add light to the side of the road so you can see issues and react .

However I also use them in more general driving as I believe that it makes my car more visible and noticeable as I tend to drive on the faster side of things I think i would preferred to be seen if overtaking or coming up behind someone……..

Am I a chav ???? Well blue car gold wheels and a car that sounds like rolling thunder ?, I would say I am a rally fan but to be honest I don’t really care …

rear fogs tho are a big
Old 14 January 2008, 12:35 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

O and just to add in the IAM magazine a high ranking traffic officer encouraged the use of front fog lights on rural roads
Old 14 January 2008, 12:36 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Honesty is a rare and pleasant thing these days on here.

Do you really find the fogs give a better overall beam though? Would uprated main & dipped bulbs not work better??
Old 14 January 2008, 12:43 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I always thought people did cos they thought they got another 25bhp out of their motors
Old 14 January 2008, 12:43 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
Well I will prob get shot down for this but I normally run with all my front lights on mainly due to the very rural roads with big pot holes and lots of road kill issues I just find that they add light to the side of the road so you can see issues and react .

However I also use them in more general driving as I believe that it makes my car more visible and noticeable as I tend to drive on the faster side of things I think i would preferred to be seen if overtaking or coming up behind someone……..

Am I a chav ???? Well blue car gold wheels and a car that sounds like rolling thunder ?, I would say I am a rally fan but to be honest I don’t really care …

rear fogs tho are a big
Kinda see what your saying about the country lanes but on any rural lanes I've travelled down in Scotland and England, my headlights have been more than good enough to show what's on/in the road (suggest eye test and or upgraded bulbs). And tbh if you don't think people will be able to see you on normal roads with just your headlights on then there is definitely something wrong with them
I don't think it's that people are saying it's chavvy to do, it's more that the crime (as peeps have already stated a number of times, it's illegal) seems to be perpetrated by immature, un-observant or inexperienced road users.
Don't get me wrong, each to their own and all that, do what you like, but you will get abuse for it from some people on the roads

Cheers,

T
Old 14 January 2008, 12:45 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
I only reason I can think they are doing this is because their headlights are ****e and they need more light on the road. But in doing this, your eyes are focusing on the fog light beam which is much shorter and you are not really looking ahead far enough...or something like that.
Or they might just be *****. I know which option I'd put my money on.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:45 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Honesty is a rare and pleasant thing these days on here.

Do you really find the fogs give a better overall beam though? Would uprated main & dipped bulbs not work better??
Agree with Gaz on both the honesty and the bulbs
Old 14 January 2008, 12:47 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

In the mini's defence the lights in the front bumper which come on are side lights.

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
New Minis have the same switch problem.

All the medium sized people carriers seem to as well.

It is irritating but not as irritating when they have their rear foglight on.
Old 14 January 2008, 01:13 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

grow up all of you, its just a bunch of lights Jeeeees.
Old 14 January 2008, 01:16 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harry007
grow up all of you, its just a bunch of lights Jeeeees.
pmsl

yeah, being annoyed at being blinded by somones incorrect and illegal use of their lights is well immature, grow up guys!!
Old 14 January 2008, 01:17 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're doing us a favour...those driving with fogs on are telling other road users:

"I'm a complete a*se and don't know what I'm doing. I don't know the rules of the road and have never read the highway code. I don't care about other drivers, and probably haven't noticed any other drivers on the road anyway since I'm too busy being distracted by other things, especially my mobile phone. I suggest you keep your distance and take extra special care when driving anywhere near me".

Works for me.
Old 14 January 2008, 01:21 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Think HID's dazzle more than any foglight, especially in rear view mirror
Old 14 January 2008, 01:30 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Its not so much the fact that they use there fog lights along with there main lights thats bugging me.
Its the fact that they use the fog lights INSTEAD of there headlights.
Old 14 January 2008, 01:31 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
1) Yes, you are a grumpy git Mark.

Cheers I thought it would happen someday!!
Old 14 January 2008, 01:32 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I always thought people did cos they thought they got another 25bhp out of their motors
Actually, the opposite is true. The more power you're drawing from the electrics (esp rear heated screen/heater/wipers etc) the more work the engine has to do= less power to drive the wheels= less performance..!

Same is true of AC compressor, which most are already aware of.

Try this little experiment:

With the bonnet up and engine idling, turn on heated screen or main beam and slightly blip accelerator. Listen to the whine from the alternator. Now turn all elecs off and repeat...
Old 14 January 2008, 01:33 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
sme young rover mg driving **** was behind me he other day with his fogs on blinding me in myrear view mirror for about twomiles after plenty of warning (me flashing my rear rear fog light numerous times) to get him to turn them off i stopped dead in the road with him stopping behind me vibrating my car with his tunes not even noticing really that i have stopped on an empty road, slammed the car into reverse and started moving towrds his nice shiney yellow turd mobile (you should of seen his spotty face he shat himself while trying to select reverse) after that his foglights were imidiately switched off. i think the thought of havin a rangerover towbar and bikerack attatchment inbedded in the front of probably his mums car worried him slightly.

i know it was naughty but it worked . i had a nice drive home after that with my retinas in tact

Yes it was naughty... but i bet you were laughing all the way home
Old 14 January 2008, 01:41 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
In the mini's defence the lights in the front bumper which come on are side lights.

must admit didn't know that still bit of a stupid place to put them.
Old 14 January 2008, 02:27 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Why, perfectly good place to put them...

Was followed in heavy traffic the other night by a Nissan entrail with its fogs off, so ended up shouting at the woman to turn them off, five minutes later they were still on, so shouted again and she told me 'they are off' so she had turned them on at some point and hadn't got a clue how to turn them off!

Simon
Old 14 January 2008, 02:58 PM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

I have actually noticed more and more middle aged men and women drive with them on in their focus c-max etc etc.

And the dozy people who I have sit behind who drive down dark country lanes with their fog lights and sidelights on...I am overtaking you because you are going so slow because you can't see the road. They also don't use their full beam either, some people should be made to read the instruction manual of a car before being allowed anywhere near the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Front fog lights