Customs Duty Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2007, 11:08 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customs Duty Help Needed

Hi Guys,

Im wanting to buy an Invidia Exhaust System for my STi from the states, and im confused what the duty would be.

I have been to the site below, and it tells me that duty would be 3%.

TARIC Consultation

Does that sound right?

Assuming it is, then i would be paying 17.5% VAT on the value of shipping + goods, and then a further 3% duty on the value of the goods alone right?

Pls help! its the most confusing system i ever seen!

Total value of goods will be $800, Shipping will be around $150 i have been told by UPS

Thanks in advance,
Old 31 December 2007, 08:55 AM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Bump
Old 31 December 2007, 09:48 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

If you generally estimate 20% to 25% of the total ( goods plus shipping ) this will be about right for what the couriers will charge you when they deliver it. Most couriers add a 'handling charge' of their own as well.

Findind an exact 'to your door' price is pretty much impossible as the charges customs add on seem quite random at times.

Remember as well that if there is a problem with the exhaust, or it doesnt fit etc... you will have to pay to ship it back to the USA.

Buying from overseas often seems really cheap, but by the time you add on the taxes, annoyance at having to wait for it etc.. it can often be easier to pay a few quid more and get one from the UK.
Old 31 December 2007, 12:36 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

you pay vat on the goods, shipping and duty. I've always paid 10% duty but not bought from the states.
Old 31 December 2007, 12:37 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by marmski
Im wanting to buy an Invidia Exhaust System for my STi from the states, and im confused what the duty would be.

Assuming it is, then i would be paying 17.5% VAT on the value of shipping + goods, and then a further 3% duty on the value of the goods alone right?

Pls help! its the most confusing system i ever seen!

Total value of goods will be $800, Shipping will be around $150 i have been told by UPS
I think your right ish most suggest to allowing approx 23% which till makes the parts dead cheap

I've got some parts from the states coming VERY soon so will post up want i have to pay

Mine $300 + $105 postage (apparently size dependant and not wieght)

Tony
Old 31 December 2007, 01:55 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
I think your right ish most suggest to allowing approx 23% which till makes the parts dead cheap

I've got some parts from the states coming VERY soon so will post up want i have to pay

Mine $300 + $105 postage (apparently size dependant and not wieght)

Tony
Tony I'll watch with interest on your duty charges. I nearly bought some Perrin suspension parts from an American company but the VAT + duty added approx 22% to the end cost . I would have saved about £5 in the end.

Bloody VAT and duty .

Wolfie.
Old 31 December 2007, 04:05 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

ime a bit confused here about what you meen about duty,is it an extra cost you have to pay on top off the shipping charge for bringing it into this country cos ive bin buyin parts from all over the world a lately and all i payed was the cost off the part + the shipping didnt no nothin about any duty.
Old 31 December 2007, 04:15 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
ime a bit confused here about what you meen about duty,is it an extra cost you have to pay on top off the shipping charge for bringing it into this country cos ive bin buyin parts from all over the world a lately and all i payed was the cost off the part + the shipping didnt no nothin about any duty.
depends what sort of of bits you've bought and what size, smaller things sometimes are easy to pass off as presents, as when i've bought stuff from japan they wrapped them in birthday paper for me, don't know how easy and often this works though
Old 31 December 2007, 04:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Duty and VAT is very hit and miss tbh.
Sometimes they get you full whack, others not at all.

I have been very lucky on most things.
Old 31 December 2007, 05:49 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

I purchased the APR Rear Diffuser from the states, from memory it cost $495 to buy, $125 to ship, totaling $620(£320 in our money) Once it arrived in this country it was sent to a bonded warehouse closest to the delivery address and held there till the duty is paid, for the above i paid another £47. As said it can be hit or miss I have bought alot of other things from USA. Canada, Japan, Australia but have never been taxed.
Old 31 December 2007, 06:43 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

as said duty is hit and miss,i had 2 items from the states earlier this they were delivered fine but a few weeks later had 2 letters from couriers saying i owe duty
i chose to ignore them fedex sent a final reminder so i payed em,dhl never got back to me so i did not end up paying.
Old 31 December 2007, 08:19 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

looks like ive been looky up t now havnt been charged any duty for any of my parts ive bin gettin but sayin that ime waitin on a exedy twin plate comin from japan ive bin trackin it and its in customs at coventry at mo sods law is al be getin a duty charge on this one.
Old 01 January 2008, 09:08 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Normally Parcelforce and some other couriers ( TNT possibly ) will ask you to pay on delivery - DHL and Fedex just deliver the goods, then send an invoice through later on. If you dont pay it, the next time you have a delivery from them they wont deliver it until you pay for the last one and the current one.
Old 02 January 2008, 10:33 AM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

I thought it was the duty (3%) in this case on everything inc carriage and then vat on the total.

The last thing I got from the states was sent UPS and I got a letter from Parcelforce telling me I had to pay the duty before they would deliver it. They have a special website where you can pay by card to avoid the delay of sending a cheque.
Old 02 January 2008, 11:16 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Normally Parcelforce and some other couriers ( TNT possibly ) will ask you to pay on delivery - DHL and Fedex just deliver the goods, then send an invoice through later on. If you dont pay it, the next time you have a delivery from them they wont deliver it until you pay for the last one and the current one.
Never known this to be the case with Fedex. Also of course will depend on who is the declared person responsible for taxes. Shipper/Recip or 3rd pty.

Badger, nope, duty varies not only on consignment to consignment, but also on what the goods are. C&E also have the right to ignore the declared value of the item and make an independant valuation.

This might be of use to some.
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_001454

Last edited by Snazy; 02 January 2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07 January 2008, 04:35 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

well got a letter this morning saying my clutch was at parccelforce in leeds and they wanted 45 pounds before they would release it.what a rip off to say ide already paid for the p+p and paid alot for it aswell.why dont they just add this to the p+p so you no what the total cost is instead of you thinking you have paid the total cost then kikin you in the ***** for some more.
Old 07 January 2008, 06:34 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Because the company sending it wont know how much the customs duty and couriers fee will be before it is delivered to you, so cant add it on to the P&P - unless they just put a set amount on, which would need to be MORE than the actual charges to cover them so they arent losing out.

Its not exactly a ripoff - you know items from Japan should have duty paid on them, you've just been lucky in the past getting away with it. I'm sure if you work out how much you've saved on all the parts you've bought you are still well up on the deal, if not, then just buy them in the UK instead.
Old 07 January 2008, 09:02 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

yeah i must say ime still a few hundred quid in pocket for buying from japan rather than in england.suppose ive just had a good run up to now not having to pay a duty on any of my parts.
Old 08 January 2008, 10:03 AM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

i would just ask them if they can write girft on the packageing if they are very nice had this done in the past and it works
Old 08 January 2008, 10:30 AM
VTR Bondy
Scooby Regular

i remember my mate buyin some electrical goodies from states and havin em gift wrapped as you dont pay duty on a gift. Dont know if it will work for an exhaust but may be worth enquirin.
Old 08 January 2008, 11:44 AM
ScoobySportSpecial
Scooby Newbie

if you order anything from abroad and parcelforce charge you a 'clearance fee', don't pay it.

tell them:

a - the charge is for a service you had not agreed to
b - they have no right to hold the parcel for ransom as it is your property
c - if they say its not yours till you sign for it, tell them that as you have paid for the item and shipping, it is yours, and if they keep it that is theft
d - the charge is listed being raised by HMRC on the invoice, which is a lie.

if they refuse, ring the managing director's office on 01908687249 and keep telling them these 4 points if they argue - eventually they'll give in.
Old 08 January 2008, 01:29 PM
Puppetmaster
Scooby Regular

Wish I had known that last year!

Bought two dvds I have been looking for for years off the Internet... they were very cheap - until Parcelforce charged me about £26 for the pleasure of them holding onto them! Was desperate to see them, so, like a mug, I paid up!
Old 08 January 2008, 03:46 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Wish I had known that last year!

Bought two dvds I have been looking for for years off the Internet... they were very cheap - until Parcelforce charged me about £26 for the pleasure of them holding onto them! Was desperate to see them, so, like a mug, I paid up!
i think that why i rushed over an payed the money straight away realy cos ide already waited 2 month for this clutch and i just needed to get it in an get my car back up an running.maybe if ide not been in a rush for this part and ide have nown that you could argue that you didnt have to pay this duty then ide have probably have tried.
Old 08 January 2008, 06:47 PM
p1dazza
Scooby Regular

VAT at 17.5% and duty at a varying rate depending on what the product code is is chargeable by law. It is charged on the invoice value inclusive of shipping costs. For car parts generally it works out around 23% in round figures on the invoiced value.
This is absolutely not influenced in any way because you have already paid shipping. The two matters are not related.

Depending on the carrier you pay on the doorstep or have to go to thier office to square the bill eg Parcel Force (who as already explained add a handling charge) DHL will invoice after delivery, sometimes 5 weeks later but you always get charged. They work hand in glove with customs and excise at East Midlands or where ever.
On odd one off parcels from some other less well established shippers sometimes can result in no charges but as the purchaser generally has no influence over the carrier used, being lucky and paying no vat and import duty is pure luck and in recent times much less likely to ocur.
Old 15 January 2008, 05:23 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by wolfie28
Tony I'll watch with interest on your duty charges. I nearly bought some Perrin suspension parts from an American company but the VAT + duty added approx 22% to the end cost . I would have saved about £5 in the end.

Bloody VAT and duty .

Wolfie.

roughly $295 part & $105 postage

I paid £198 cash

Customs bill is (only shows VAT and no Duty)

VAT £32.99 (£34.65 if 17.5% ???)

+ Parcelforce fee £8.00

Total £40.99

and no I don't know how they work it out

Tony