Bit of Help and advice on STI Version 3 Please

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2007, 11:32 AM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of Help and advice on STI Version 3 Please

Hi Guys,

I currently own a Toyota Supra and previously owned a Mitsubishi GTO TT. However, i only use these cars on a weekend which was ok because i had use of my partners car and a works van.

Now i have had my works van taken off me and keeping the supra is not practical. I want to buy a car i can use every day which is not to expensive, but i want to stick with something Japanese. What can i say i like Jap cars!!

I have seen a really nice Subaru STI Version 3 with 69000 miles on the clock. I have looked at the car which is a fresh import and everything looks ok. The only problem was slight smoking from the engine which on further investigation seems to be a leak from the Rocker Box Gasket. The dealer told me he would but a new gasket on for me before i collect the car. Everything else sounded fine, no knocking and no bearing noises from the turbo. The car is very tidy inside and out and has an AVG Boost Controller fitted.

My only concern is that i have heared a lot of horror stories about engines in the classic subaru sti like engines blowing up and requiring a rebuild. I thought who better to ask than the owners themselves!!!

Is this a weak engine?? Am i better off going for a WRX, are these engines less likely to blow because they are mot so highly tuned.

I have been in a 1995 Subaru WRX which seems to go well once you hit higher revs. Will the STI version 3 be a lot quicker than this WRX??

Finally without starting any fights or arguements between you guýs!! I have heared that the classic subaru STI is quicker than the new STI subaru. Is this true. Surely some of you guys on this forum have owned both??

I would appreciate any advice please particularly about the reliability of a classic STI. As you can appreciate i dont want to buy an everyday car which is not going to be reliable!!

Thanks
Old 30 December 2007, 08:50 PM
scuba steve
Scooby Newbie

Not sure on that model but im sure someone will help you out
Old 30 December 2007, 10:08 PM
sjwent
Scooby Regular

I have to say my old Sti V3 wagon's engine was rock solid - never missed a beat. Power (if you're interested) was 294 in standard trim, torque 267. A sports cat DP, blitz exhaust & apexi ECU (mapped at Zen) raised this to 314 and 309. Car was running 1.4 bar of boost.

Hope this helps
Old 30 December 2007, 10:14 PM
butler
Scooby Regular

I have an sti v3 m8, best car i've had so far to be honest. Very good to drive and reliable so far. As to engine wise think they are more reliable and stronger than wrx's due to forged pistons etc which also makes them more tunable to start with. Engine reliability will be down to how the car is treated i suppose as with any car, but the sti block's are pretty strong i think. Dont know how they compare to newer sti's (someone else might be able to help) but i've had a play with a few newer wrx's and the difference is a fair bit, also my mate has a classic sti v1 with mods (i'm standard) and i pull away from him a fair bit. Hope that helps a bit!!
Old 30 December 2007, 11:00 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys!!

So i guess the engine should be pretty reliable then providing you dont drive it hard all the time and take care of it.
Old 30 December 2007, 11:06 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a v3 nearly 9 years now, std engine bar decat and k&n. 49k miles and it managed 326 bhp @ 7,500 rpm last year. Never missed a beat and it'll make the WRX look like it's standing still

p.s. mine has seen 7,000 rpm lots of times and always maintained myself.
Old 30 December 2007, 11:24 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
Had a v3 nearly 9 years now, std engine bar decat and k&n. 49k miles and it managed 326 bhp @ 7,500 rpm last year. Never missed a beat and it'll make the WRX look like it's standing still

p.s. mine has seen 7,000 rpm lots of times and always maintained myself.
Thats sounds good to me. This car has 69000 miles on the clock but i dont suppose that will matter.

So they can obviously take a bit of stick without going bang then!!

I think i will be happy with this car!!

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your help.
Old 31 December 2007, 07:47 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

They are excellent cars I have mine just over 3 years, the spec has changed a lot since I first got it (view my scooby) but once mapped for the right fuel it is excellent and has run like a dream.
If you cannot afford to remap, then run the car on vpower plus octane booster to be on the safe side.

banny
Old 31 December 2007, 08:00 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine for 5 years now. Still on stock bottom end.
Now mildly modified and raced for 5 years very hard indeed, and regularly hits 8000 or the rev limiter.
Tuned to 360 ish bhp but always gently warmed-up and down. Some can show signs of piston slap when stone cold, but hat soon goes away.

I lost a head gasket but easy fix and the car has run perfectly for 3 years.

Huge temptation to modify them! But overall on the road I would leave it bog standard or maybe treat it to a good exhaust (Revolution in my opinion) and used a good fuel such as Vmax (Shell) and change the engine oil every5K or so.
I have used simple Shell Helix semi synthetic for years and years and it tolerates everything I throw at it.

The Sti V3 is a great cheap value for £ car that was very well sorted by the factory, and lots of fun too.

DropShots.com

Last edited by 911; 31 December 2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 31 December 2007, 05:31 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

thanks to all you guys that have replied. I appreciate it!!

Looks like i should be ok with the version 3 then. This gives me peace of mind buying the car.

I will tell him i will have it !!!

And start having fun!!

Thanks Again to you all and all the best for the new year.