HAWK EYE STI UK v JDM

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2007, 12:37 PM
vash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAWK EYE STI UK v JDM

Hi

I know the differences between the 2 ( Or atleast i think i do from looking at Litchfield and reading through the many pages on this forum ) and in the new year i will be getting myself another scooby after selling my MY03 STI Type UK to some lucky git back late 06.. and missed it ever since..

My question is between the two which would you go for and why?

I know the JDM has the smaller engine and twin scroll ( plus all the other nice bits ) where as the UK has the big old 2.5 which i can assume is ripe for tuning and a 3year warranty..

From what i can find the new engines on the JDM and the ECU are alot less prone to braking than the older ones..

But i dont know.. advice please..

Also where would and how would be the best way to get a JDM if i do decide to go that route?

Many Thanks

Matt
Old 10 December 2007, 02:20 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

If I buy a JDM again, which is highly likely in the future, I would only buy one that had all the Japanese documentation, service history and auction certificate. Any of these items missing, to me, equals a crash repaired car, unless the seller has an extremely good, honest, genuine reason for NOT having any documentation, and still I wouldn't buy it!

The 2 litre engine is superior to the 2.5, a commonly accepted fact in the Subaru/Motoring world.

A very good website for JDM's is PCM Manchester, plus the proprietor is a member on here, who I am sure will be able to supply a car to your exact requirements.
Old 10 December 2007, 03:00 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Those that have had an import, will undoubtedly tell you get a JDM. It seems you know what most the differences are and i think only a drive of both will tell you which one you want.

One thing though, the 2.5 engine comment. tuning and warranty don't normally get used in the same sentence.
Old 10 December 2007, 03:07 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

having owned (and still own) a UK classic and a JDM classic i wont look near a UK car again when it comes to imprezas, JDM is definatly the way to go IMO
Old 10 December 2007, 03:16 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Á¢ïÐ
having owned (and still own) a UK classic and a JDM classic i wont look near a UK car again when it comes to imprezas, JDM is definatly the way to go IMO
Isn't the new STi better in UK format though??
Old 10 December 2007, 03:17 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

The gap in performance & spec beween uk/jdm was at it's smallest during Hawkeye production.

With a remap you can get good figures from a uk Hawkeye though the moment you do this you can kiss goodbye to your warranty. That said the uk spec still doesn't have the up-rated engine internals of the equivalent jdm AFAIK.

Personally I would go JDM.
Old 12 December 2007, 10:02 AM
vash
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your replies so far.

Chatted to the extremely helpful chap at PCM ( thanks for recommeding him )

Right.. So im definetly going to get a JDM.

Specs are better, Servicing isnt much more than a Type UK .. parts.. well.. if they need replacing they need replacing..

So my plan was to let him know late Jan what im after put the order in and wait the 6weeks for my new precious to arrive... ( I want a Graphite Silver 07 one, hopefully with a nice loud dumbvalue and neighbour annoying exhaust )

Then.. oh then he does something very very mean!

He recommends I go and get a Spec C instead...

I know the Spec C is the beefed up version of the STI .. ( and i have read the specs on his and litchfields site )

My problem now is that.. I know its better than the STI but there are lots of versions and it is unlikely i am going to do many .. ( If any track days ) the most i will do will maybe a Santa pod run just to see how fast it is..

So my question is.. other than it being designed for track with all the reinforced and uprated goodness..

For normal day to day use what you would guys say to go for? STI or Spec C

I have done some searches and there appears to be so many different versions.. if i do go for a C what type do i Ask for?

I know i want electric windows and Aircon..
I know the fuel consumption on a standard STI is bad.. ( worth it but bad )
Is the Spec C much worse?

Any other considerations?

Over to you!

Many Thanks

Matt
Old 12 December 2007, 01:35 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

im also thinking of coming back to scooby ownership and thinking of speck c or even type r R , if i can sell something first
so am waiting for answers to your above post
Old 12 December 2007, 02:50 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vash
I want a Graphite Silver 07 one, hopefully with a nice loud dumbvalue

Dumpvalve. Personally i wouldn't bother. It has one, but is not audible as it's closed loop. If you want the noisy type, be prepared for the pitfalls.

A spec c is just a more raw version of the STi, lighter etc. I would get one without a second thought, but the car hardly gets used. If i was doing 50m per day in one, it might get too much.

I already take my car on the 100m commute sometimes and i get out deaf and shaken.
....but happy.
Old 12 December 2007, 04:03 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vash
Thank you for your replies so far.

Chatted to the extremely helpful chap at PCM ( thanks for recommeding him )

Right.. So im definetly going to get a JDM.

Specs are better, Servicing isnt much more than a Type UK .. parts.. well.. if they need replacing they need replacing..

So my plan was to let him know late Jan what im after put the order in and wait the 6weeks for my new precious to arrive... ( I want a Graphite Silver 07 one, hopefully with a nice loud dumbvalue and neighbour annoying exhaust )

Then.. oh then he does something very very mean!

He recommends I go and get a Spec C instead...

I know the Spec C is the beefed up version of the STI .. ( and i have read the specs on his and litchfields site )

My problem now is that.. I know its better than the STI but there are lots of versions and it is unlikely i am going to do many .. ( If any track days ) the most i will do will maybe a Santa pod run just to see how fast it is..

So my question is.. other than it being designed for track with all the reinforced and uprated goodness..

For normal day to day use what you would guys say to go for? STI or Spec C

I have done some searches and there appears to be so many different versions.. if i do go for a C what type do i Ask for?

I know i want electric windows and Aircon..
I know the fuel consumption on a standard STI is bad.. ( worth it but bad )
Is the Spec C much worse?

Any other considerations?

Over to you!

Many Thanks

Matt
suggest you drive both then as some do find the 'c' a little too hardcore for everyday driving.

Perosnally i would never buy a car without testing it out before hand
Old 12 December 2007, 04:18 PM
vash
Scooby Regular

I am going to drive a version of each before..

But there is only so much you can learn from a test drive.

I really want to hear from people who own one and how they get on day to day.

If its a real bone shaker and sounds like a jet engine all the time.. its probably not for me..

I loved my STI Type UK and the JDM is an improvement on that..
The spec C being an improvement on the JDM is tempting on paper..
Old 12 December 2007, 05:13 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

Before you do go JDM (which is undoubtedly the wiser purchase all other thinsg being equal and if you dont care about warranty), just check to see if any UK dealers have a UK STI at a decent discount.

I got my 07 Type UK pre-regged with 6 miles on the clock at a massive discount that made it impossible to turn down and go JDM as I was originally planning.

Its now running nearly 350/350 and feels awesome
Old 12 December 2007, 06:19 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Isn't the new STi better in UK format though??
No, the better parts still remain on the the new MY08 JDM version - nitrid coated crank allowing for higher redline, equal length tuned manifold, twin scroll turbo. I don't know the exact specs of the engine but I wouldn't mind guessing that like the MY06 cars and earlier, the JDM also has better heads with larger ports and more agrressive cam profile.
Old 12 December 2007, 06:21 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
The 2 litre engine is superior to the 2.5, a commonly accepted fact in the Subaru/Motoring world.
Not true. It is more tunable for high bhp and produces the power in more a "kick"... but it is not necessarily superior. You won't match torque levels or the smooth power delivery of the 2.5. It really depends how you drive and what you want but neither is superior as both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Why do you think it is better?

I drove both before going the UK route. The 2.0ltr for me was just to all or nothing.

P.S. I am running 360/390 with about a grands worth of mods.

Last edited by Mikkel; 12 December 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12 December 2007, 07:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

An alternative........?"View My Scoob" It's from Litcho's too.
Old 12 December 2007, 10:29 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
An alternative........?"View My Scoob" It's from Litcho's too.
In urban grey and I would be sold. Nice motor and a sleeper too