I broke my scooby...........

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2007, 11:14 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy I broke my scooby...........

Just seeing if anyone else can report any similar mishaps.....was driving thru country roads in Essex yesterday, terrible weather, pouring with rain, not driving particularly fast but obviously took a corner a bit too fast for the weather conditions, as did the merc coming in the opposite direction at the same time - swerved slightly to avoid and ended up totally losing grip and skidding for about 50 yds, initially on my side then veering onto the opposite side of the road, finally managing to correct but ending up in bushes/ branches which sheered into the bumper, wrecking half of it.
I do seriously thank God or whoever is up there that no other vehicles were on the other side of the road at the same time as I was, but have already had comments from (?) friends along the theme of 'told you a woman shouldn't be driving one of them', etc.
I now have to find out the cost of a new bumper (any ideas?) and am wondering whether anyone else has tales of any similar misdemeanours... or is it time to listen to the voice of reason (my mother) and start looking to trade in for Nissan Micra perhaps .....
Old 09 December 2007, 11:18 PM
Steve169
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair tho if you had lost it in a Micra you would have prob been off the road in a much bigger way !
Old 09 December 2007, 11:20 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Letting off the gas peddle mid-corner in the wet is allways a No No in the wet as it un settles the car and normaly ends up with the back stepping out, even worse if you swerved as well

Glad your ok to tell the story as you never know what could have been coming the other way....
Old 09 December 2007, 11:20 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Steve169
To be fair tho if you had lost it in a Micra you would have prob been off the road in a much bigger way !
Very true!
Old 09 December 2007, 11:22 PM
Steve169
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lorrainecallison
Very true!
Thats always my argument with my mum (yes im 29 and she still complains about my car) I tell its "safer" for pulling out of junctions and on corners etc...
Old 09 December 2007, 11:25 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Anger
Letting off the gas peddle mid-corner in the wet is allways a No No in the wet as it un settles the car and normaly ends up with the back stepping out, even worse if you swerved as well

Glad your ok to tell the story as you never know what could have been coming the other way....
I appreciate yr advice.... to be honest I can't remember what I did; fortunately back didn't swing out, but yes, I was v.lucky and hope will learn from it
Old 09 December 2007, 11:29 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Steve169
Thats always my argument with my mum (yes im 29 and she still complains about my car) I tell its "safer" for pulling out of junctions and on corners etc...
Good one......I'll remember that! I daren't tell you how old I am but I bet you'll find your mum is still saying the same things when you're my age!
Old 09 December 2007, 11:35 PM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Opps, Sorry to hear of your misfortune!!
What year is your car? If your in Essex, try ESB (Essex Subaru Breakers), they deal with second and new parts, and are very fairly priced! Give them a call 01268 572149.
I hate driving my car in the rain!! Good luck!

Lippy x
Old 10 December 2007, 10:11 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Lorraine,
Sorry to hear that hun, when I bought mine the dealer always said give it respect otherwise it will kick you in the ****, that statement has aleays stayed with me, fair play to you though, as someone has alrady said if it had been a smaller car it could have been a lot worse hope you get it sorted soon.
Cheers
Colin
Old 10 December 2007, 10:25 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep the car.
Just a bit of a wake up call. (correct entry speed is vital)
Which slid first the front or the back end?
Glad you are OK
Old 10 December 2007, 10:33 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds as tho you aquaplanned , could of happened in any car although 40 profile tyres on my sti and rock hard susupension just made it more susceptible

slow in ,fast out
Old 10 December 2007, 10:40 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

All cars have the ability to 'lose' grip, swerve, skid & slide, but not all of them are as recoverable as the Subaru
Old 10 December 2007, 10:42 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Glad you are okay... Car can be mended.... They do have a tendency to aquaplane Ive found... I guess its all about set up and tyres
Old 10 December 2007, 10:45 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by girl-in-a-scoob
Glad you are okay... Car can be mended.... They do have a tendency to aquaplane Ive found... I guess its all about set up and tyres
Mine seems to ****** violently to the left during waterskiing sessions at high speed .... quite offputting at times!
Old 10 December 2007, 12:28 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

nice one DCI...

Hi
Old 10 December 2007, 12:43 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

LorraineCollision

tyres = Goodyear Eagle F1.

I find that I can drive just as fast in the rain as the dry. Big difference to other cars on the road. I look forward to the rain, it's when all that expense pays off.

Smooth driving style is also essential.

Originally Posted by EmEm
I hate driving my car in the rain!
You're joking right
Old 10 December 2007, 01:42 PM
New_scooby_04

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Chin up. everyone involved is ok. that's all that matters!

Sound like you aquaplanned, deep standing water is a problem for any car. Either than or you're telling us porkies about your cornering speed.

Driven smoothly -and that's the key- Scoobies are great in the wet. I actually enjoy driving mine in the wet and it's running significantly more than std power- it's a very sure footed car.

What tires did you have on? What condition were they in?

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 10 December 2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10 December 2007, 01:55 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Go and see the guys at Cadence Driver Development. Spend a day on the skid pan with them and you will learn a lot and also if you can get out on the road with Hugh and you will enjoy your driving a lot more for it too.
Old 10 December 2007, 06:56 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Sounds like, going by op that the car understeered (scooby tradition ) onto the wrong side of the road, and then came back too sharply.

If so then, possibly too much corrective steering was used when the car went into the slide. So when grip comes back the, car veers off wildly due to excessive angle the wheels are at.

With understeer it is a temptation to turn the steering far more than nessercery - this makes the slide worse, and "if" grip does come back, you have to turn the wheel back very very quickly to stop the car veering off the road...which sometimes can unsettle the back end, which if not corrected quick enough, then fishtails and spits you into a field...usually backwards (another scooby trait)

Country roads are notrious for poor grip at this time of year, due to muddy water running off fields and from farm machinary. Add to that summer tyres that don't work at their best in cold temepratures and you have what is essentially very greasy and slippery conditions on what looks like a normal wet/damp road. And you only find that out once you go into a slide.

If it scares you, try a skid pan course.

Last edited by Shark Man; 10 December 2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10 December 2007, 08:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
All cars have the ability to 'lose' grip, swerve, skid & slide, but not all of them are as recoverable as the Subaru
But like ^^ he said once youve lost it the whole set up doesnt let you get back on like a front or rear wheel drive motor .

Last edited by dpb; 10 December 2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10 December 2007, 10:59 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by EmEm
Opps, Sorry to hear of your misfortune!!
What year is your car? If your in Essex, try ESB (Essex Subaru Breakers), they deal with second and new parts, and are very fairly priced! Give them a call 01268 572149.
I hate driving my car in the rain!! Good luck!

Lippy x
Thanks for that! Car is 04 WRX and am in Essex so will definately give them a go if cannot be repaired (unlikely!) but have someone looking at it this week so will see what they say
Old 10 December 2007, 11:09 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Keep the car.
Just a bit of a wake up call. (correct entry speed is vital)
Which slid first the front or the back end?
Glad you are OK
Definately will! But will show it more respect in future, as Scoob 99 (Colin) said. Thinking back was the back end slid first, but as someone else said, felt more like aquaplaning
Old 10 December 2007, 11:20 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Chin up. everyone involved is ok. that's all that matters!

Sound like you aquaplanned, deep standing water is a problem for any car. Either than or you're telling us porkies about your cornering speed.

Driven smoothly -and that's the key- Scoobies are great in the wet. I actually enjoy driving mine in the wet and it's running significantly more than std power- it's a very sure footed car.

What tires did you have on? What condition were they in?

Ns04
Just had a look at tyres (not easy in the dark I can tell you!) - Bridgestone in front, Potenza RE 050 at rear - doesn't mean much to me I'm afraid! Recent MOT said tyre condition good.
Old 10 December 2007, 11:23 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by speedking
LorraineCollision

tyres = Goodyear Eagle F1.

I find that I can drive just as fast in the rain as the dry. Big difference to other cars on the road. I look forward to the rain, it's when all that expense pays off.

Smooth driving style is also essential.

You're joking right
I like it : am definately changing my name to Lorraine Collision
Old 10 December 2007, 11:26 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my tale of woe - you may all have thought 'silly cow' but were polite enough not to say it, just offered good advice and help instead x
Old 11 December 2007, 09:11 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

you may all have thought 'silly cow' but were polite enough not to say it,

Not at all Lorraine, just because it could have been anyone of us, at least you had the bottle to admit you were maybe going a little bit too fast (a woman admitting she's wrong) but on a serious note glad you are OK and your Scooby can be sorted
Cheers
Colin
Old 11 December 2007, 09:26 AM
sportwagonred
Scooby Regular

lorraine,
Don't let anyone tell you they haven't had a fright when driving a scooby at some time. If you haven't frightened yourself at some point during your driving career yopu aren't driving your car properly( fast enough). Been sat at the side of a Police driver when he's taken to the grass verge to avoid standing traffic around a bend, then a couple of days later ditto, but fortunately where the verge has been wide enough to avoid hitting anything.
You were just on the wrong road otherwise you'd have been as lucky as me and not caused any damage.
As alreadt suggested a day, hour, on a skid pan does wonders for car control and as important it's great fun.
Old 11 December 2007, 01:12 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

stiffer front and rear ARB would reduce the snap from lift off oversteer
Old 11 December 2007, 02:08 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Lorraine,

Take it with a pinch of salt mate. Wrong time wrong place. Chin up.

I am not a mad driver nor do I take any risks (Anger will back me up on this). However I've had two crashes this year. Both were not my fault.
One was in my WRX when a idiot pulled straight out of a petrol garage on a duel carridgeway.Resulted in my rolling the car three times and being hit by a van coming the opposite direction. Car written off as you would have thought.
And in the STi some idiot on the wrong side of the road over taking cars hit the whole side of the car.

Its just one of those things. Get the car fixed and enjoy it.

Steve
Old 11 December 2007, 11:34 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Lorraine,

Take it with a pinch of salt mate. Wrong time wrong place. Chin up.

I am not a mad driver nor do I take any risks (Anger will back me up on this). However I've had two crashes this year. Both were not my fault.
One was in my WRX when a idiot pulled straight out of a petrol garage on a duel carridgeway.Resulted in my rolling the car three times and being hit by a van coming the opposite direction. Car written off as you would have thought.
And in the STi some idiot on the wrong side of the road over taking cars hit the whole side of the car.

Its just one of those things. Get the car fixed and enjoy it.

Steve
Blimey, you have been very unlucky - hope it was just your cars that were injured, not you.
Thanks for telling your stories; I am certainly not going to give in over this; it's taken me too many years to get to the point where I can drive what I want!