Sponsored by:

Do I need to re-register an Isle of Mann car in England

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2007, 01:37 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to re-register an Isle of Mann car in England

Hi guys, recently ive bought an Isle of Man WRX on a 55 plate. The number original UK 55 plate registeration works fine everywhere but the car did come with some manx number plates when i got the car. Is it true I need to re-register the car even though the original 55 registration comes up on Subaru systems as well as the DVLA computers.

Dont know if im making myself clear but i dont know how to explain it any better.

I dont understand why i would need to re-register a previously uk registered car lol

any help would be great
Old 09 December 2007, 01:48 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Manx and CI cars do need to be registered here.
Old 09 December 2007, 04:27 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Manx and CI cars do need to be registered here.
no but i would have assumed it was already registered here since it has the original english number plate too and ivechecked with dealers as well that both the chassis number and the 55 plate uk registration match.

Also if i was to re-register would i have to pay the £50 registration fee or am i excempt since it is a uk car anyway?
Old 12 December 2007, 11:08 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Where have all the helpful members gone nowadays?
Old 12 December 2007, 11:21 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Maybe it's such a strange question no one on here knows the answer?
I'd guess that you could just start using the plates again so long as you get it taxed and insured, sounds like it wasn't taken off the Uk DVLA register when it was shipped to the Isle of Man.
You definitely can't transfer the Manx number over here to use though (MAN or MN plate).
Try giving the DVLA a buzz on 0870 2400010 8 till 8
Old 12 December 2007, 11:25 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Maybe it's such a strange question no one on here knows the answer?
I'd guess that you could just start using the plates again so long as you get it taxed and insured, sounds like it wasn't taken off the Uk DVLA register when it was shipped to the Isle of Man.
You definitely can't transfer the Manx number over here to use though (MAN or MN plate).
Try giving the DVLA a buzz on 0870 2400010 8 till 8
Lol I thought it was a weird question but in recent times i have seen various genuine questions by members unanswered.

Nevertheless regarding the plates I did call DVLA but dayum what a rubbish call it was. I waited for ages to get through to an advisor and when I did it felt as though she was in a rush. She basically said fill a bladibla form out and send to us. Before I could ask her if i have to pay she goes "hope that helps, thank you for calling DVLA bye" lol

strange woman
Old 13 December 2007, 12:10 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

If you go to an online car insurance website and get a quote for the car, you will be able to type in the registration number. The site will normally then tell you what car it is. If the correct details for your car pops up, you can take it that your car is properly logged with DVLC as you suggest and if you have a UK tax disc with the correct registration number, you are in the clear.
Old 13 December 2007, 01:16 AM
Martin typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased my car from a dealer which in turn had bought it from the isle of mann, which i had to register in the uk. The car already had uk plates on it for some reason even though it had been imported brand new from japan.

I went to my dvla office to register it in the uk, i had to fill out a form, which was quite straight forward, give them the old isle of mann log book and show them the MOT certificate.

I did have to pay to register it but i cant remember how much as got tax for it at the same time.
Old 13 December 2007, 09:59 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin typeR
I purchased my car from a dealer which in turn had bought it from the isle of mann, which i had to register in the uk. The car already had uk plates on it for some reason even though it had been imported brand new from japan.

I went to my dvla office to register it in the uk, i had to fill out a form, which was quite straight forward, give them the old isle of mann log book and show them the MOT certificate.

I did have to pay to register it but i cant remember how much as got tax for it at the same time.
Aah this seems more like it I think. When it says send £50 with the form and mentions something regarding the tax can someone explain what it means. Is it that you need to fill the form in, enclose a cheque for £50 and also send off for the tax or is that part of the £50 which seems highly unlikely
Old 13 December 2007, 11:54 AM
Martin typeR
Scooby Regular

If i was you i would go to your local dvla office,if you have one near you, they will check you have filled in the form correctly and send it off to dvla swansea for you, that is were you will recieve you new log book from.

The £50 is to register you car then you will have to pay x amount on top of that for tax disc, which i got straight away from my dvla office.
Old 13 December 2007, 11:57 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

If i was you i would go to your local dvla office,if you have one near you, they will check you have filled in the form correctly and send it off to dvla swansea for you, that is were you will recieve you new log book from.

The £50 is to register you car then you will have to pay x amount on top of that for tax disc, which i got straight away from my dvla office.
Aah, ive actually already sent off for the log book because the car was damaged recorded I had to send off for log books anyway
Old 13 December 2007, 12:20 PM
Martin typeR
Scooby Regular

No worries, will just take a little bit longer.

Hope that has helped.
Old 13 December 2007, 02:22 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

No worries, will just take a little bit longer.

Hope that has helped.
yeh defo has me thinking in the right direction lol. Thanks for the help matey