Sponsored by:

V5/6 STI RA but without the rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2007, 10:01 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default V5/6 STI RA but without the rear spoiler

Looking into various Imprezas and although Type Rs are more exclusive I find 4 doors very handy even if the car is a weekender.

Anyway, looking at a couple of v5/6 STI RAs but I'm not keen on the high level spoiler on a 4 door. Suits a 2 door much better IMO.

If I got the car, is it a straight swap for say a V4 or UK rear boot. Isn't there different weighting depending on the spoiler?
Old 07 December 2007, 11:07 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to what i know and i maybe wrong but the v5/v6 spoiler is fixed at the ends and 2 bolts in the middle to keep it a close fit and due to the weight.

the v4 is only fixed at the ends as there is nothing in the middle, the bolts at the ned of both to my experiance are in the same place so that would not be an issue

but the issue is if the perticular car you look at is fixed in the middle if that is the case you will be left with two holkes which would need filling and painting, the other option is to look out for a damaged car or one with a blown engine and buy the whole boot lid and spoiler in one hit and if you hold out i am sure you coul dfind one in the same colour as your car and get the best of both worlds.

one other issue maybe and i maybe wrong but i think the ra had a lighter boot lid to save weight so if you bought one from a standard v5 sti or uk turbo you will end up with a heavier boot not that it is a big problem just a minor set back

hope it helps and if i am wrong i am sure someone will correct me

steve
Old 07 December 2007, 11:57 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, classic boot lids are all the same. There are no aluminum ones, lol. Not even on RA's. There are some carbon fibre aftermarket ones though.

If you really want a mid level spoiler, then I'd suggest finding someone with a V4 car of the same colour and asking them to swap the boot lid and spoiler.
Old 07 December 2007, 12:18 PM
wrx_driver
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EddScott
Looking into various Imprezas and although Type Rs are more exclusive I find 4 doors very handy even if the car is a weekender.

Anyway, looking at a couple of v5/6 STI RAs but I'm not keen on the high level spoiler on a 4 door. Suits a 2 door much better IMO.

If I got the car, is it a straight swap for say a V4 or UK rear boot. Isn't there different weighting depending on the spoiler?
Springs are different.

You'll be amazed how fast the boot comes up with no rear spoiler!

Some people weight the boot to keep the lid from flying up when the boot release is pulled.

Cheers
Old 07 December 2007, 05:51 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx_driver
Springs are different.

Some people weight the boot to keep the lid from flying up when the boot release is pulled.

Cheers
Yeah ive nearly smashed my face a couple of times, plus the carbon ones are twice as light
Old 07 December 2007, 06:39 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx_driver
Springs are different.

Cheers
when my car was in getting painted last year the spoiler was off and someone hit the lever and nearly broke the painters jaw