Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many liars, crooks and idiots selling Impreza's!

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2007, 06:15 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry So many liars, crooks and idiots selling Impreza's!

Unbelievable!

Today, I went to see an 'immaculate, 1 owner wrx 05 with 11000 miles'. (So the ad said).

The car was in reality a 2 owner, Euro import with the dealer asking UK car money for it, the mileage was 12500, and all 4 wheels were quite badly scuffed. Plus the front tyres were almost expired!

I was about to go and see a wrx UK 300 MY05 tomorrow in Nottingham, at an independent dealer, advertising the car in capital letters saying 'ONE PRIVATE OWNER FROM NEW'. I just did a £5 RAC hpi check, and the car has 2 owners, the 1st owner had the car for 3 months then sold it, so the advert is a blatant lie. Ive just phoned them and said I am not going to see the car tomorrow, and they said to me that their ad wording means 'one private owner, i.e, they haven't included the previous business owner because it was a main dealer demo car!!! (Even thought the registration document will have 2 owners on it).

Ive just got off the phone to Nottingham Trading Standards who are going to look into it.

Then I spend hours looking at Autotrader, and the majority of WRX's for sale have WRX STI as their ad headings, but they are not STi's. One car says Prodrive performance pack which includes Prodrive suspension! Really? Since when was suspension a part of PPP? And of course the usual suspects, 3 year old cars with 5+ owners, how ridiculous.

I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences.
Old 05 December 2007, 07:00 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences... i dont think their all bad, but with cars like the Impreza/Evo you do have to keep your heart away from your head!!

With regards to the 2 owner car, it is possible that it was a dealer pre-reg. My car has had 2 owners (1st one being the dealer, 2nd being me) but had not done anything but delivery miles (10 miles) when i collected it from the Subaru main dealer. Reason it was pre-reg'd was because the dealer got a bulk deal and the cars needed to be on the 06 plate as part of it... not a 56 (which was 1 month away at the time). I didnt care obviously... because i had a brand new car with the wrappers and plastic guards still over everything on the most current plate!

Just another side of a story... because mine has also had nothing but love since day 1 of having it! (my friends call me ****!! i jus like to respect the things i own even if it does mean treating a car like a new born baby!!)

Hope you find your perfect car though, keep those rose tinted shades in ur pocket to ensure you get a minter!

Last edited by marmski; 05 December 2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05 December 2007, 07:06 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

nevermind how many owners....it should really depend on the condition of the car
Old 05 December 2007, 07:14 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Know how you feel, lot of dodgy ads out there. Must rankle with you as you had a fairly tough time selling your mint JDM STi (forgive if I've mixed up and it wasn't yours I saw posted for ages) and then seeing some of the blatant bull$h1t being told to flog dogs (and working in a lot of cases). The old Sti disguised as a WRX always gets me...............

Chin up, you know there are gooduns to be had out there at good prices, just need to get right one.

DNC
Old 05 December 2007, 11:03 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

i know were your coming from mate . it and to think these peolpe have the cheek to put these **** adds up and let u travel to see stuff that basically a big fat porkey pie
Old 05 December 2007, 11:58 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I remember going to look at a Bugeye STI last year. The car was for sale at a Daihatsu dealer somewhere in Yorkshire and was over an hours travelling for me.

On my arrival the car was being frantically cleaned, and after looking at the paperwork first (always recommended I think) which miraculously had an other owner on it I went for the test drive. It was clear that there was a very worn track rod bush as the car pulled hard to one side, and on looking underneath, the engine guard was removed. I was informed that the car was being worked on to get it immaculate (dont you mean safe).

Oh, and the 40k service had not been done and there was paint peeling from th erear bumper. Needless to say I walked/ran away with the rep offering 1K above the book for my WRX .

Hardly the immaculate car that was desrcibed in the ad!
Old 06 December 2007, 11:16 AM
whiterat25
Scooby Newbie

This is the second hand car market all over
took me 18 months to find my ford anglia after looking at many many examples that were not as discribed. People are greedy on a whole when they sell cars.
Old 06 December 2007, 11:27 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bighead
nevermind how many owners....it should really depend on the condition of the car
It's a consideration but certainly not a show stopper.

Dealer told me a small porky about the number of owners, 1 owner had it for 3 months, got a company car the dealer bought it back. 2nd owner had it for under a year before he wanted the full STi look and chopped it for a WRBlue one. I am the 3rd owner, its done 8k miles and is mint. Yes I am the 3rd owner but that doesn't concern me when the car is as new and I moddified it anyway.
Old 06 December 2007, 01:33 PM
RICKSTER555
Scooby Regular

I'd always stay well clear of cars on autotrader, always found the best place to buy is on here or pistonheads is sometimes ok. Trouble with autotrader is people dont know what there selling!!
Old 06 December 2007, 01:55 PM
95blackWRX
Scooby Regular

when i was looking for my first subaru wrx i seen one in autotrader,pic looked great. Phoned guy up he said car is mint condition untouched completely standard. so i went to see it it was in west yorkshire and i am coming from glasgow. so gets down there and soon as i saw it i thought the car he was describing must have been behind it. The top of doors were covered in rust the seats were burst it had stupid red buttons stuck all over the interior. the guy looked shocked when i didnt want to test drive it and walked away
Old 06 December 2007, 04:34 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

It's not just imprezas.

I can't believe people blatantly lie like that. It just p!sses people off when they get there and it's not true. Wasting everyones time.
Old 06 December 2007, 09:18 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX PPP

I can absolutely assure you that this one is a totally imaculate UK car - it's mine and I have cherished it in every way - only selling because I have a new job and a merc C200k.
Old 06 December 2007, 09:31 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
I was about to go and see a wrx UK 300 MY05 tomorrow in Nottingham,
They were definitely advertising a UK300?

The UK300 was an MY01 car (bugeye)
Old 06 December 2007, 09:38 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by streetbeats
They were definitely advertising a UK300?

The UK300 was an MY01 car (bugeye)
Hi streetbeats,

Yes, there was an 05 UK 300 as well as the earlier bugeye.
Old 06 December 2007, 09:45 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by RJL_WRX05
Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX PPP

I can absolutely assure you that this one is a totally imaculate UK car - it's mine and I have cherished it in every way - only selling because I have a new job and a merc C200k.
I have been looking at your car ad, and it does look and sound excellent, and the price is excellent too. What I've been trying to do is get a part ex on my 330d M Sport, but it's always us private owners who have the 'inferior' cars and the dealers who have the 'superior' cars, if you know what I mean, hence the unacceptable p/ex deals we are offered. I've just written an ad and will put it for sale over the weekend hopefully. If it sells soon, I'll contact you. Are you the 2nd owner and is it a UK car?
Old 06 December 2007, 10:12 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06 December 2007, 10:34 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

OK, i reckon i risk getting a few posts disagreeing with me, but I reckon the main reason you get so many dodgy Imprezas for sale is obvious.

There are lots of people willing to buy them. If everyone carried out the standard checks before buying, dealers and dodgy sellers wouldn't bother. I guess some people are also willing to believe anything, just so they can say 'I've got a 400bhp Impreza for 2 grand' when they are boasting in the pub.

If people don't buy them the market's gone.

Of course it 's not just Imprezas, but I think we might be the worst buyers!

Last edited by escott; 06 December 2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06 December 2007, 10:52 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Damn! Thought this would be about KTC again judging by the title
Old 06 December 2007, 11:04 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

My local Subaru dealer sold me a WRX PPP that was in fact not PPP. After months of demanding compensation from them they gave me a cracking deal against a PPP STI. Sure enough it was PPP and lovely motor.Problem was when I crashed it I found out it still had outstanding finance on it from previous owner! Be very wary and trust no one when buying cars. As above prob a good place to buy is off an established Scoobynet member or maybe Pistonheads. I personally will be avoiding dealers in future. DODGY!!
Old 06 December 2007, 11:10 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
My local Subaru dealer sold me a WRX PPP that was in fact not PPP. After months of demanding compensation from them they gave me a cracking deal against a PPP STI. Sure enough it was PPP and lovely motor.Problem was when I crashed it I found out it still had outstanding finance on it from previous owner! Be very wary and trust no one when buying cars. As above prob a good place to buy is off an established Scoobynet member or maybe Pistonheads. I personally will be avoiding dealers in future. DODGY!!
GMD?
Old 06 December 2007, 11:21 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
Jeez that's scary - I would have at least thought that paying more for a car from a main Scoob dealer would guarantee a good one! And you got 2 dodgy ones! Unbelievable!
Old 07 December 2007, 12:01 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AutoTrader is full of lieing rogues!!

Thats my experience ...... best cars are word of mouth cars, card in the window cars, local paper cars and cars from long standing members on here (or other dedicated site) - beware of 'Newbies' just here to sell.

My car, when I come to sell, will probably be snapped up by someone who knows me - thats how it has happened in the past - or someone at the same workplace ...... it could also go to someone on here, maybe?

But it will be a 1 Owner UK example with normal miles and full history, a simple backbox and standard from thereon in .......... this is what EVERYONE should be seeking.

The number of owners DOES give a good indication of the reliability of the car - it also tells you if you can actually live with the car ...... lots of STis have a long list of owners simply because they are not the everyday car some try and make them!
Old 08 December 2007, 10:38 AM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

I have been looking at your car ad, and it does look and sound excellent, and the price is excellent too. What I've been trying to do is get a part ex on my 330d M Sport, but it's always us private owners who have the 'inferior' cars and the dealers who have the 'superior' cars, if you know what I mean, hence the unacceptable p/ex deals we are offered. I've just written an ad and will put it for sale over the weekend hopefully. If it sells soon, I'll contact you. Are you the 2nd owner and is it a UK car?
I know what you mean about part ex deals - I had a dealer ring me last week and offer £8,500 for my car!!!! I said I wasn't interested in selling BUT would would be very interested in buying one off him for 8.5k. He just put the phone down.

My car is a UK car pre registered so I am second owner (main subaru dealer is 1st owner). I know you have heard it before but It really is totally immaculate. I am very **** with my cars!! I originally advertised it for 11,500 but have dropped it to 10,750 due to lack of interest and the fact that I have already got my new car. I really cant go any lower than 10,750 though.

Good luck with the sale!
Old 08 December 2007, 10:44 AM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

[quote=pslewis;7466237]AutoTrader is full of lieing rogues!!

Thats my experience ...... best cars are word of mouth cars, card in the window cars, local paper cars and cars from long standing members on here (or other dedicated site) - beware of 'Newbies' just here to sell.

My car, when I come to sell, will probably be snapped up by someone who knows me - thats how it has happened in the past - or someone at the same workplace ...... it could also go to someone on here, maybe?

But it will be a 1 Owner UK example with normal miles and full history, a simple backbox and standard from thereon in .......... this is what EVERYONE should be seeking.

The number of owners DOES give a good indication of the reliability of the car - it also tells you if you can actually live with the car ...... lots of STis have a long list of owners simply because they are not the everyday car some try and make them![/quote

Totally agree - every car I have ever sold (until now!!) has ended up going to someone I know or someone who lives down the next street who has seen me cleaning it every weekend!! People think they are getting peace of mind from a dealer but this is not always the case. Plus you always pay a massive premium for that peace of mind in the first place.
Old 08 December 2007, 10:53 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Pete, you'll sell your motor on here easily enough. I'm sure someone will buy it just so they can meet you!

Nick
Old 08 December 2007, 11:31 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Unbelievable!
I was about to go and see a wrx UK 300 MY05 tomorrow in Nottingham, at an independent dealer, advertising the car in capital letters saying 'ONE PRIVATE OWNER FROM NEW'. I just did a £5 RAC hpi check, and the car has 2 owners, the 1st owner had the car for 3 months then sold it, so the advert is a blatant lie. Ive just phoned them and said I am not going to see the car tomorrow, and they said to me that their ad wording means 'one private owner, i.e, they haven't included the previous business owner because it was a main dealer demo car!!! (Even thought the registration document will have 2 owners on it).
Not quite sure with your gripe on this one mate, if the advert clearly states 'ONE PRIVATE OWNER FROM NEW' and if the car has been a pre-reg or a demo before that, then the dealer isn't lying about anything. If anything it sounds as though you have misread the advert! I doubt very much trading standards will even look twice at that one to be honest!
Old 08 December 2007, 11:50 AM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Heres my view,

I would buy from a scooby modifier, quicker then from a dealer or from the local rag.

Its not worth the hassle, this said, if you in Nottingham TSL is /always my choice. Graham, Sue and crew wont put you wrong.
Old 08 December 2007, 12:08 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
Not quite sure with your gripe on this one mate, if the advert clearly states 'ONE PRIVATE OWNER FROM NEW' and if the car has been a pre-reg or a demo before that, then the dealer isn't lying about anything. If anything it sounds as though you have misread the advert! I doubt very much trading standards will even look twice at that one to be honest!
You could argue that they have withheld information not stating it was a prereg which is another owner. Its all a play on words if you ask me, supposed to get you to enquire or through the doors.
Old 08 December 2007, 12:54 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Hi streetbeats,

Yes, there was an 05 UK 300 as well as the earlier bugeye.
Hate to be picky but there was only one "UK300" limited edition and that was in MY01. The MY05 limited edition I think you are referring to was the "WRX300".

Rich.
Old 08 December 2007, 03:21 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
I rarely misread much, and I'm not bothered about Trading Standards doing anything, as they are, at best, incompetent.

Deep breath......Here's a simple English lesson......so:

Car for sale, 0NE owner = The V5 document will have a ZERO where it says number of former keepers

Car for sale, TWO owners = The V5 document will have ONE where it says number of former keepers.

So that dealer is mincing their words. Their ad says ONE private owner....FROM NEW. It should say 'One private owner from when the car was 3 months old'.

What does from NEW mean? That means the car is undriven, with zero mileage. Then ONE person goes to the dealership and buys that car FROM NEW.

The ad I am referring to should say TWO owners from new, because the V5 document has TWO names of people on it who have owned that car.

THE END.

Quick Reply: So many liars, crooks and idiots selling Impreza's!