Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What course of action to take
Nothing, the goverment will see sense in the end.
5.48%
Start arranging road blockades. Like the lorry drivers once did.
80.82%
An eletronic or paper petetion.
2.74%
Stop using a prticular petrol station, in attempt to them on our side through loss of earnings
6.85%
All SN members to write a letter to the PM, the sheer number of letters might annoy him into action
1.37%
Other, suggest it in the thread and if valid I'll add it to the poll.
2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Who thinks that a road blockade would help solve fule costs???

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2007, 05:26 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who thinks that a road blockade would help solve fuel costs???

The price of fuel at the moment is taking the micky

The amount of threads concerning just this subject is going up and up, so lets do something about it.

Last edited by jiffthejiffmanjaffa; 02 December 2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02 December 2007, 05:29 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Back in 2000 there were several blockades which did seem to work. Fuel price then was around 80p/L for unleaded.

You're right though it is too excessive now.

Nick
Old 02 December 2007, 05:32 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

We need the lorry drivers to get involved again to blockade the fuel outlets, road blockades/drive slows will do nothing, in order for anything to be done the country needs to be brought to a standstill like it was before.
Old 02 December 2007, 05:41 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Anyone know the ring leaders of the last lorry drivers road blockades?
Old 02 December 2007, 05:43 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

We live in a very different country now, to the one that we lived in in 2000. Sweeping powers of arrest, multiple new police powers and provision to mobilise the army to deal with subversives or terrorists or whatever the government chooses to label you as. Remember that this is the government whose Home Secretary demanded that a prison riot be put down by armed police machine gunning offenders.....
Old 02 December 2007, 05:44 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Brynle Williams.
Old 02 December 2007, 05:48 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

It started out as a farmers dispute. Williams was a farmer and DERV prices were of little interest to him.
Old 02 December 2007, 05:51 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

OK, if road blockades aren't the answer what it?

Check poll above.
Old 02 December 2007, 05:55 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Anyone know the ring leaders of the last lorry drivers road blockades?

Andrew Spence was one of the organisers too,he lives close by me,and word has it,there is going to be a new protest within the next week or so.

But what is tyhe point,Flash Gordon,has plans in place to halt any blokades,mititary drivers all ready trained etc.....

This Government sure knows how to Butt **** always.

It's getting beyond the Joke now,the prices are creeping up everyday.
Old 02 December 2007, 05:55 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

It is likely that direct action (French stylee) is the only answer; that doesnt make it feasible though. I really dont like the cheese-eating surrender-monkeys, but I have to admire their willingless to successfully take matters into their own hands. We just sit about and bitch on internet forums.....
Old 02 December 2007, 06:21 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
It is likely that direct action (French stylee) is the only answer; that doesnt make it feasible though. I really dont like the cheese-eating surrender-monkeys, but I have to admire their willingless to successfully take matters into their own hands. We just sit about and bitch on internet forums.....

Exactly,tough action is the only way to be noticed.
Old 02 December 2007, 06:38 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

If another blockade happens, we can't chicken out of like last time. This time we must hold it until they knock 10p/l of tax off to bring into the same sort of prices as Europe.
Old 02 December 2007, 06:40 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

id go with road blocks!!! but let me fill up first
Old 02 December 2007, 06:51 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

everyone seems to agree with action against the government ie fuel blockades ,every forum ive been on totally agree but i dont think people of britain have enough bottle anymore look at a couple of years ago when they tried it - nothing happened people didnt even support what was happening
i agree lets put our own government back where it belongs in our own country for a change instead of supporting other countries first
Old 02 December 2007, 06:58 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Anyone for a strict speed limit drive on the M25 one busy Saturday afternoon?

Near Christmas that would cause chaos, sounds like it would get noticed.
Old 02 December 2007, 07:33 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

The price of fuel at the moment is taking the micky

The amount of threads concerning just this subject is going up and up, so lets do something about it.
I'm sure that OPEC would be really bothered about your proposed actions, the rest of us just get pissed off, like last time, with the inconvenience
Old 02 December 2007, 08:08 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

the only thing that will work is peaceful protest (leading to blockade) with anti-government themes. showing the next government (labour are out on their ****) that over-taxation will not be tolerated. Unfortunately, one of the side effects of capatilism is a total disregard for your fellow man, so people unaffected by high fuel taxation, and high taxation in general (the wealthy or well off) will not give a d4mn about the people who struggle with the cost of living, after all, fuel is fuel, it is not a plasma telly, or a porsche, or a vintage champagne, or any other 'luxury' it is a necessity for the huge proportion of the working class of this country, now if every city, town or village had the public transport offered by london, then there would be a viable alternative, even though the cost of public transport is no respecter of class either, you only have to read some of the posts on forums like these which show the level of lack of compassion to your fellow man indicated by some of the posters to make you realise that this country will NEVER stand shoulder to shoulder, and don't the government just know it.
Old 02 December 2007, 08:46 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I'm sure that OPEC would be really bothered about your proposed actions, the rest of us just get pissed off, like last time, with the inconvenience
Thanks for the constructive critisum.

Have you any suggestions that may actually help.

Please note that in the above poll, there are other less invasive action.
Old 02 December 2007, 09:13 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the constructive critisum.

Have you any suggestions that may actually help.

Please note that in the above poll, there are other less invasive action.
It wasn't critisism, constructive or otherwise (so please refain from the use of ), it was my view.

Nobody likes fuel costs as high as they are but recent increases aren't tax related. So what would you be protesting about?
If it is the high level of taxation on fuel, then I suggest you have some suggestions as to what taxes should go up to compensate for a reduction in fuel duty?
High fuel prices are here to stay, and are likely to get higher still?
Old 02 December 2007, 09:22 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

As a Trucker I voted for Blockades - but - the price of fuel affects everyone one way or another, so I would say it will take everyone - a day of action stop the country 1 day this week 2 week after 3 week after that, they cannot afford for the country to stop.
Old 02 December 2007, 09:24 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

heres a suggestion to reduce taxes, have a good look at useless money sapping quangos, prevent MPs and local councils from claiming 10s of thousands of pounds in 'travel expenses', ban immigrants from claiming benefits, sort out the massive amount of people claiming incapacity benefit, the biggest waste of money in this country apart from wages and associated expenses for government and council employees, is the lack of respect for the spending of public money, you really need to see it to believe it, no really, it will make you vomit.....
Old 02 December 2007, 09:26 PM
White ST
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BooSH
We need the lorry drivers to get involved again to blockade the fuel outlets, road blockades/drive slows will do nothing, in order for anything to be done the country needs to be brought to a standstill like it was before.
i run afw lorries and vans and my od man has a coach company, in one of the mags that we recieve there was a colum in it with pritty much the same story line. a mamber of the RHA has warnd that if lorry drivers bloked the feul depo's offending bizness will have there operating license takern away! with the way the of hualage is no 1 will stay together, in my own view i think that the transport/public survice should have feul at a cheaper rate as without it this country would really strugle

i can see why they are putting it up to try and cut the congeston and the amount of pollution and the only way to do it is to hit people hard where it hurts ur pocket.

i could go on all nite but it all ends up in the same place we need petrol/derv to make the world move
rant over deep breathe
Old 02 December 2007, 09:42 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=speye91;7454679]Andrew Spence was one of the organisers too,he lives close by me,and word has it,there is going to be a new protest within the next week or so.

i heard this about 3 weeks ago from one of the cashiers at the local petrol station......................still waiting for it to happen!
Old 02 December 2007, 09:46 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

well no we don't need petrol or derv, we are forced to artificially use fossil fuels whilst at the same time told to 'save the planet', well how about the fact that the alternatives to fossil fuels are deliberately subdued by not just this government, but all governments, engines can be redesigned to run on ethanol blends involving no fossil fuels, this could possibly mean a huge shift of wealth from the worlds richest countries to so called third world countries where food and an acceptable way of life can be provided in exchange for a few supercars and palacial homes as the crops for ethanol based fuel can be grown, even in harsh environments with the right amount of backing. or what about hydrogen fuel cells, they can provide huuuge amounts of electricity with 0 emmisions, not just for cars, but for homes and businesses, hydrogen can be artificially created. How about the lack of funding toward superconductivity research, which if superconducters are reliably created would ultimately mean FREE energy (and the end of combustion for energy). (look up searle effect).........fossil fuels will exist until they are depleted as fuel is a massive source for controlling the people of the world, and the associated wealth and desire for wealth that comes from it.

BTW i have not used my car for 3weeks, and will try not to use it, if everyone did the same if they can, and used public transport to get to work then the country would grind to a halt, but hey, what difference will i make, i am just 1 man.

Last edited by gallois; 02 December 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02 December 2007, 10:30 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Blockades didn`t work last time and they won`t work this time, all a blockade of fuel terminals does is to **** up our daily lives with a shortage of fuel and long ques at the petrol stations.

If you block the roads this crap goverment will just arrest you, remove your car and either crush it or charge you for it being in storage until after you have appeared in court for public order offences. They have us all by the bollocks.
Old 02 December 2007, 11:05 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
Blockades didn`t work last time and they won`t work this time, all a blockade of fuel terminals does is to **** up our daily lives with a shortage of fuel and long ques at the petrol stations.

If you block the roads this crap goverment will just arrest you, remove your car and either crush it or charge you for it being in storage until after you have appeared in court for public order offences. They have us all by the bollocks.

Blockades worked the last time,made the monkeys running the country stand up and realise.

The thing is last time it was the Numpty's Panic buying that fooked it.
Old 02 December 2007, 11:16 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

If they threaten your 'O' licence then every haulier will shy away; theres no doubt about that.

Id love to see alternative fuels for IC engines but life isnt quite so straight forward. Has any one noticed that the price of vegetable oil has nearly tripled in the last five years? The reason is that so much rape seed oil is now being used for biodiesel. If we all drove cars powered by ethanol then other food prices would rocket too! Hydrogen on the other hand..........
Old 02 December 2007, 11:27 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by speye91
Blockades worked the last time,made the monkeys running the country stand up and realise.
No it didn`t, if it had worked then we would have had vastly reduced fuel prices which we didn`t get and we certainly wouldn`t have the fuel prices we have now because if the goverment were worried about fuel blockades then they wouldn`t dump so much tax on our fuel.

Basically motorists are a money making machine for the goverment with high fuel tax and high road tax, they know they have the power to lock you up and destroy your motor if the need be.

Are you going to risk losing your scoob and getting thrown in jail at the same time for something that isn`t going to work in the long run anyway as the goverment will do what they like as they always do.
Old 03 December 2007, 08:53 AM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Ok, guys if blockades of the fuel factorys is a no what about road congestion. The police can't do a thing to someone sticking to the speed limits on mjor roads.

A strict speed limit drive on the M25 would cause chaos this time of year, and no one would be out of fuel. That said it would delay people. Would this delay be seen as a nusiance or as a good thing in an attempt to make the govement reliase.
Old 03 December 2007, 09:09 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's nothing we can do while Green is fashionable. No government will chop fuel tax whilst the general public believes that cars are the worst polutant.

The other option is to invade the oil rich countries and start producing more oil.....Oh, we just did that

Quick Reply: Who thinks that a road blockade would help solve fule costs???