Sponsored by:

do you have this small scoop??

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2007, 04:29 PM
reeperb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you have this small scoop??

if so do you suffer from the same problem....

when it rains i presume that water is getting in through the hole and making my filter wet, causing it to sputter and feel like its missfireing....(bit like when your running out of fuel).. soon as its dry its fine again....

could water be getting on something else to cause this problem...

cheers shaan
Old 01 December 2007, 05:40 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking about getting one of them little scoops for the vent over my ait intake (standard). Hav u got a aftermarket Induction kit.

Last edited by KINGTIGER; 01 December 2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: incorrect grammer
Old 01 December 2007, 05:45 PM
SCOOBYJOHN12
Scooby Regular

i had one on mine never had no probs with it but put the old one back on as the little scoop dont sit right on the bonnet
Old 01 December 2007, 05:56 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

i have a newage and when it rains it doesnt like to boost it sounds the same problems as you have

although it doesnt always happen
Old 01 December 2007, 07:35 PM
reeperb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYJOHN12
i had one on mine never had no probs with it but put the old one back on as the little scoop dont sit right on the bonnet
wot you mean it dont sit straight... it does in the flesh.. maybe the angle of pic...

yer i have a pipercross induction kit... theres no point in putting one with a standard airbox bud..
Old 01 December 2007, 11:33 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Is yout Pipercross Induction kit any good. Ive been told to stick with the standard panel filter.
Old 02 December 2007, 12:54 PM
reeperb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
Is yout Pipercross Induction kit any good. Ive been told to stick with the standard panel filter.
yes mate its very good imo... sounds really nice and does the job well...

depending on what you got, mines a rb5 so a uk car, i was told to stay clear of the blitz and hks as they have probs with the maf etc..
Old 02 December 2007, 01:31 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Unless your running a front mount then an induction kit is a total waste of money. Remove that god awful (IMO) vent and fit the OE one along with an OE filter box, the standard filter box and a good filter are good for over 350 brake. All the induction does is pull in hot air and you lose power not gain it.
Old 02 December 2007, 01:49 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

So what would be a good panel filter for a import Classic STI.
Old 02 December 2007, 02:23 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

I have a very similar scoop on my MY97WRX and when it rained heavily while driving I got the same effects, I presumed it was water getting onto the MAF. I stopped this by fiting some thick mesh underneath the scoop, it looks like alloy plate with holes in. Not sure where it came from as it was just some old stuff I had laying around. It still lets the cold air through but disrupts the flow of rain directly onto the filter.
Old 02 December 2007, 02:29 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Unless your running a front mount then an induction kit is a total waste of money. Remove that god awful (IMO) vent and fit the OE one along with an OE filter box, the standard filter box and a good filter are good for over 350 brake. All the induction does is pull in hot air and you lose power not gain it.
Agreed. You'd also get your offside morette light back, although I don't like these either

While I'm here, where's the nearside wing mirror, your sidelights and I doubt the old bill will love your plate much.
Old 02 December 2007, 03:36 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Anything other than an untouched RB5 should be taken off it's owner, returned to standard and sold. Sorry but you have spoiled what was a very nice car. Just my view, it's your car but it does seem a shame to do that to it.
Old 02 December 2007, 03:43 PM
SCOOBYJOHN12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reeperb5
wot you mean it dont sit straight... it does in the flesh.. maybe the angle of pic...

yer i have a pipercross induction kit... theres no point in putting one with a standard airbox bud..
not yours mate mine dont sit right on my bonnet
Old 02 December 2007, 03:43 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Kettle ... pot ... black! Your Type RA is not exactly standard

TX.

Anything other than an untouched RB5 should be taken off it's owner, returned to standard and sold. Sorry but you have spoiled what was a very nice car. Just my view, it's your car but it does seem a shame to do that to it.
Old 02 December 2007, 04:03 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Kettle ... pot ... black! Your Type RA is not exactly standard

TX.
It's not suppose to be it's an RA all my mods are there for a reason. The RB is a limited edtion car and should be left just how it was made IMO.

Like I said it's his car but I would have left it standard if it was mine, just seems a shame to spoil a nice car.
Old 02 December 2007, 06:03 PM
reeperb5
Scooby Regular

i disagree with this.. yes you may be able to run the power with standard bits but my filter has made a difference...

oh and the morettes have the side light, main & full beam working through the single one so i dont need the small one back..

thanx for your opinion on the Rb mate but i like it the way it is, with some personal touches yet keeping the ltd edition side of it still very much alive

oh and the wing mirror was knocked off but i have a new one currently being painted..
Old 02 December 2007, 09:39 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Agreed. You'd also get your offside morette light back, although I don't like these either

While I'm here, where's the nearside wing mirror, your sidelights and I doubt the old bill will love your plate much.
Remember #96 from a previous thread, started out as...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...rs13/rb5-2.jpg

& nutta, now i know why you dont like mudflaps ...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...SP_A0043-1.jpg

& it looks like he still hasn't finished
Old 02 December 2007, 11:29 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Lowered WITH mudflaps, must scrape like anything on lock! I did have mudflaps on the 22b I had Daz, they came with them. I would have taken them off if I kept the car, they spoilt the whole car.

Each to their own but it's a fast track to spoiling a special edition. I can talk I must say with all the mods on my car! I've changed the wheels for P1 wheels and the spoiler for a P1 one, but these are Subaru parts not something you'd find in the latter regions of a Maxpower magazine.
Old 03 December 2007, 09:03 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Lowered WITH mudflaps, must scrape like anything on lock! I did have mudflaps on the 22b I had Daz, they came with them. I would have taken them off if I kept the car, they spoilt the whole car.

Each to their own but it's a fast track to spoiling a special edition. I can talk I must say with all the mods on my car! I've changed the wheels for P1 wheels and the spoiler for a P1 one, but these are Subaru parts not something you'd find in the latter regions of a Maxpower magazine.
lol ...ive got a 555 ...& it's got flaps ...& it's lowered ...& i've changed the spoiler ...& the alloys lol
Old 03 December 2007, 11:44 AM
Rob.VXD
Scooby Regular

Shaan, have a word with Anger over on Surrey.

Exactly the same problem.
Old 03 December 2007, 01:16 PM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

I'd be careful messing with the RB5's induction as the MAF is tempremental on MY99's.

Best way is just to fit an STI panel and leave as is. Concentrate on other areas for power gains.
Old 03 December 2007, 06:14 PM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

Fitted a small scoop to my00, within a week it had let in so much rain that i ended up having to buy a new maf. I then put a piper-cross ram air feed on. Works fine.
Old 03 December 2007, 06:25 PM
reeperb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Remember #96 from a previous thread, started out as...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...rs13/rb5-2.jpg

& nutta, now i know why you dont like mudflaps ...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...SP_A0043-1.jpg

& it looks like he still hasn't finished

whats your point????????

555nutter - apart from the morettes & scoop its all subaru bits spoiler etc...

and as a ltd edition car, for the exterior whats so ltd... theres nothing on the rb5 that makes it stand out from a facelift scooby... unlike the P1 which has a splitter, spoiler etc...

so i decided to make mine stand out a little more with subtle touches and i think and most folks who see it like it...

back to topic though... it rained yesterday and it was fine, so bit weird this one....

and look see.... no flaps.... (for sale though)

Last edited by reeperb5; 03 December 2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04 December 2007, 09:05 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

whats your point????????
That, as others have pointed out ...you're to$$ing about with a Ltd Edition, which in my book is heresay & should be a punishable offence!

and as a ltd edition car, for the exterior whats so ltd
did you not notice the colour or alloys?

so i decided to make mine stand out a little more
But surely that's one of the points of buying a 'ltd edition' in the first place?

and look see.... no flaps.... (for sale though)
Thank f00k for that ...but please tell me you're not getting a 22B to replace it?
Old 04 December 2007, 09:45 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i disagree with this.. yes you may be able to run the power with standard bits but my filter has made a difference...
the standard air box vs induction kit is well documented and conclusive in that below 350bhp the standard air box is NOT restrictive. Any difference you feel is purely down to the placebo effect.

hth
Old 04 December 2007, 10:37 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Anything other than an untouched RB5 should be taken off it's owner, returned to standard and sold.

LOL, speak your mind

I agree. I modded the exterior of my 4 door classic quite a bit and TBH I wish I'd left it standard.

They look so much more classy these days. I want a P1 or Type R but failing that a nice low miles UK classic will fit the bill quite nicely.

Mod the heck underneath but the outside these days looks nicer as is.

IMHO of course.
Old 04 December 2007, 05:59 PM
reeperb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
That, as others have pointed out ...you're to$$ing about with a Ltd Edition, which in my book is heresay & should be a punishable offence!

did you not notice the colour or alloys?

But surely that's one of the points of buying a 'ltd edition' in the first place?

Thank f00k for that ...but please tell me you're not getting a 22B to replace it?

if i ever had a 22b i wouldnt need to touch the exterior as they already look sweet....

as for the colour, not that limited considering you can get the same cool grey on an sti5 (like my mate has)

tbh mate its hard to find an original P1 or RB5 these days... i mean eg on rb50c the majority of them exterior wise have been played with...

best thing ive done is the fact i can change the lights & scoop back to standard in no time atall....

the rest imo looks good.. being just the V5 spoiler (standard one not so limited edition really is it and looks pants imo...

thanx for your opinion though.. but for the time being ill keep the exterior as is