Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Subaru have used the Impreza name for the new car ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2007, 03:03 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Should Subaru have used the Impreza name for the new car ?

Having called in my local Scooby dealers yesterday for a look at the new Impreza, I can't help feeling that they could have gone a different route to market this new car. The Impreza has a cult following amongst car enthusiasts and is respected the world over for it's power and handling. The vast majority sold are of the high performance models, and if Subaru really wanted a car to take on the other mass-market hatches such as the Golf, Focus, Astra etc they should have launched a new car, with a new name, and left the Impreza to do what it is good at.

Much like the VAG group manage to market several models under different marques utilizing the same base chassis/floorpan (Golf/Leon/A3/Octavia for example), I think Subaru could have created their new model with its bland styling and homogenous, characterless demeanor to go after new markets, and styled a true Impreza as a stand-alone performance icon with all the power and styling quirks which attract us, hidden on top of the same chassis.

The things which make an Impreza what it is are being destroyed. The burble is all but gone, the scoop is blending in, the frameless doors, the saloon car shape replete with big wing. Times change and things move on, and sometimes a revolution is needed, but I can't help but think that they have got their plans wrong somewhere.

I cannot see a large number of ordinary hatch buyers being tempted. Economy is a deciding factor for many, and as we all know, Scoobs don't do economy very well. 4WD is currently demonized and faces ever stiffer taxation penalties. I also think that the history associated with Impreza's will make insurance higher than the equivalent alternatives, deterring yet more potential buyers. All this on top of alienating their core market doesn't look good in my eyes.

The STi does look better, in a bodykit kind of way, and I must add that I haven't yet driven one of the new models. I admit that I have never been a fan of the Scoobs looks. To me they are like an ugly girl who is amazing in bed. You forgive them for the thrills on offer, and ultimately end up loving them. If the new STi blows my pants off when I drive it, and is significantly better than the EvoX then I will retract my opinion, but I can't see it somehow. I hope I'm wrong !

What do you guys think ? Should the new Impreza have been branded under different name, retaining 'Impreza' for an individual performance icon ?
Old 01 December 2007, 03:52 AM
b8ste
Scooby Regular

hi dave, loved your description of the scoobs loooks agree 100% with what you say, i want to like it but cant,
Old 01 December 2007, 04:08 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just looked out of the window to see how come you're posting at this un-Godly hour
Old 01 December 2007, 04:56 AM
b8ste
Scooby Regular

good ere int it, only 11,000 posts and i'll catch you up

Last edited by b8ste; 01 December 2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01 December 2007, 07:35 AM
badgerface123
Scooby Regular

Location: deepest darkest dorset ripping up the A30 in a red V5

NO new car should have been called a new name ............... Un-imprezeda or something like that
Old 01 December 2007, 09:03 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by badgerface123
NO new car should have been called a new name ............... Un-imprezeda or something like that
Maybe the Subaru Ceed, Subaru 120i or Subaru Focus
Old 01 December 2007, 09:37 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Have to agree a name change would of been sensible, and let the Impreza become some thing special again.
Would also allow Subaru to use the lower end models to offset the emmissions of the high performanvce models (possible ditch 4wd ??) and also let Subaru turn the Impreza into the P2 concept that they keep tempting us with !

Richard
Old 01 December 2007, 10:09 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
What do you guys think ? Should the new Impreza have been branded under different name, retaining 'Impreza' for an individual performance icon ?

Absolutely - though i can see why they would want to cash in on the name.
Old 01 December 2007, 10:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

They should clearly have just the name "Unimpreza"

but seeing as its their co. im guessing the can do what they want ..!
Old 01 December 2007, 11:16 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Agree, a name change is in order. Not because of styling features like scoops and wings, as these have changed vastly over the years but mainly because it is no longer a saloon car. If Subaru want a fresh start and market then a new name is in order.
Old 01 December 2007, 11:20 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Sti is going to be a very capable car though with the longer wheelbase etc. I think it just means that everyone who wants a performance Impreza is going to have to have an Sti or a hotter Jap import. The days of buying a WRX with a view to modifying I think will mostly disappear as the new Sti is now more than ever a completely different car and worlds apart from that awful WRX. I'm sure aftermarket exhausts will lose the quad pipes and replace with noisier twin singles and various other cosmetic mods will see some good looking cars before very long.
Old 01 December 2007, 12:23 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
The Sti is going to be a very capable car though with the longer wheelbase etc. I think it just means that everyone who wants a performance Impreza is going to have to have an Sti or a hotter Jap import. The days of buying a WRX with a view to modifying I think will mostly disappear as the new Sti is now more than ever a completely different car and worlds apart from that awful WRX. I'm sure aftermarket exhausts will lose the quad pipes and replace with noisier twin singles and various other cosmetic mods will see some good looking cars before very long.
Nobody is disputing that, but the point is... should it still be called an Impreza? There are lots of capable cars that don't carry that name and look nothing like an Impreza... like the new STI hatch.
Old 01 December 2007, 01:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just looked on Sky and they are STILL claiming a 400 bhp Prodrive model....

What do you think to that Dave ?

I might be Impreza-ed then LOL, agree the name should have changed to reflect customer expectations of the car, Impreza = Nutter (?)
Focaru is cuddly, and nice.

Dunx

P.S. How's the little fella doing ? Are you getting any sleep....
Old 01 December 2007, 02:40 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't believe Prodrive will do 400bhp especially with a three year warranty??
Old 01 December 2007, 07:36 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Don't like the look of it at all. And it's NOT an Impreza