Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Renewal - How much should i be paying?

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2000, 06:17 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As the year has flown by and my Sti comes out of warranty, it's time to renew (visions of a £5k bill for a melted No. 3 piston in mind...!)

The car's insured through "Warranty holdings" which is part of NIG Skandia. Current cover is only £1000 max claim so i want to raise it to a maximum of the "Retail value of the car" which is the next bracket for maximum claim amount.

They've quoted £620.00 for two years cover based on an unlimited max claim amount so....

1. Has anyone any experience of Warranty holdings? Do they pay out or Wriggle out?

2. Is that the right sort of money or is the premium a bit steep?

Any advice gladly excepted!

Cheers

Russ
Old 20 December 2000, 06:58 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

Some people allegedly had issues with them a while back. I'm not sure of the details or the outcome but allegedly they have a reputation for not being the quickest to pay up.
Old 20 December 2000, 08:02 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Got an STi 5, warranty with Warranty Holdings - big end went.

They tried to wriggle out of it - took 4 months worth of independant assessors and solictors letters to get them to pay.
Old 20 December 2000, 08:35 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
I had problems too. They agreed to change a faulty clutch, then changed their minds

"wriggle".....pah....wrigglier than a wriggley thing.

They have clauses to get out of ANY claim, and have a reputation for only paying out, if the policy was bought via a BIG dealer, who sells lots of policies.

I actually got my premium back from them, after their Customer services Manager couldn't give me "ONE" example under what conditions they "would" pay out.

I also know that Trading Standards have got involved with them, on various issues.

Mark.
Old 21 December 2000, 12:32 AM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

I had an STi5 with the dreaded pre-det problem, piston picked up......then the turbo went. Motor Warranty Direct honoured both claims, although they were a little reluctant with the second one. A civil phone conversation with the MD focussed his mind and the cheque appeared the next day. On balance, yes I would recommend them.

They could have completely refused the second claim because it was "consequential" damage caused by minute fragments of piston going through the turbo.
Old 21 December 2000, 08:38 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

After having spoken to someone who we should pay attention to, the words "not worth the paper it is written on" were used.

I use M&G insurance which I admit I've not needed to claim on so they may not be any better but the contract is pretty good and the max claim is the value of the car.

Email me direct if you would like the details.

Matt.
Old 21 December 2000, 09:11 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

I have a policy with Warranty Holdings (supplied with the car when I bought it, then renewed by me last month for a further year - £449). Thought about claiming for a broken rear strut but decided, after checking through all the documents, that they had a get-out clause for pretty nearly everything. So, I've decided to wait until the end of the second year and then claim the two years' premiums back, per their instructions (if you don't make a claim in two years, and you still own the car, you get your money back apparently). We'll see.

Trending Topics

Old 21 December 2000, 09:26 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

It seems that ALL these warranty companies are a little "reluctant" to pay out!

So, who's had a GOOD experience of a warranty company? If so, who was it?

I've got no particular loyalty to Warranty holdings if there's a more reasonable company out there.

Thanks for the advice folks