Sponsored by:

Advice on Purchase Please

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2007, 01:15 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Purchase Please

Hi Every1 ... as you can probably tell from my lack of posts I am a noob here and new to Scoobies in general.

I am currently in the process of changing my company car (to self owned) and due to random act of kindness from the wife she said I can have anything I want as long as they fit the following:

4/5 Seats for us + baby + dog + boot for random crap...

.... and that's it. After about 2 months of searching looking at just about every 4 seater sports car there is I've landed here and seem to have found the one ... m3/m5/supra/evo/rx8/r33 skyline even 350GT have been looked at and all found lacking in some area.

My requirements are (not in order):
Reliable (to a point)
Fast (handling just as important as bhp) want to take it to the ring next year
Hold value (as well as it can)
Not need daily servicing (goodbye evo)
Able to insure it
Lowish milage (will be putting on about 20k per year... company pay fuel)
Under 16K purchase price
Do more that 15mpg ... please o please ...

and thats about it ..... hence I think I'm in the right place now just time to choose which one ... I've looked through these forums and am just looking for confirmation that I'm on the right track.. if not what would you buy

04/05 Blobeye WRX STI UK??? I thought but have seen WR1s for this money and just when I thought I could stop with the research noticed today there is this listed
2004 54 Reg SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI V-LIMITED ONLY 555 MADE ??? no reference anywhere to this though

Sorry for the bloody long post any help appreciated!

Cheers

Pants
Old 17 November 2007, 02:26 AM
finnigan5823
Scooby Regular

depends on what you want mate when it comes to everyday use,the ultimate scoob is a a spec c,but after reading your thread i assume u do a few miles and the wife will be also driving it,if in my opinion the best bet would be a uk sti, me mate just bought one last month for 14k (54 plate blobeye) if you have budget of 16k that leaves u 2k for mods,that would see a sti upto 400bhp which from past experience is a fast everyday car
Old 17 November 2007, 08:17 AM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Personally, a fan of understatement and I quite like
the afore mentioned WR1 - that little bit different
to the 'ten a penny' blue sti's (sorry lads) or the spec D.
The spec D for me is perfect, you get all the performance / toys
of the sti and a few extra ones and it's doesn't shout "LOOK AT ME !!".
If your looking for reliability, without question go for a newager.
Because a dog is an issue possibly consider a wagon ??
Hope this helps a little, all the best wi the search !!
Craig.
Old 17 November 2007, 08:22 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Theres a nice STI modded wagon for sale here somewhere.
Old 17 November 2007, 10:26 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys .... I'm not looking at the Wagons mainly because I don't like the look of them and the dog can sit on the back seat in a car hammock and not do any damage (and the missus is getting an estate if we really need to load lug).

So choices all blobs:
UK STI
WR1
Spec C
Spec D
(and if that add is correct)
STI V limited .....

Can someone tell me the difference or where I can go to find out ???

With regards adding 2K worth of mods ... although I fancy light mods (header ECU uprated panel filter) I'm not looking at big mods as I'll replace it within 2 years and wont get anything for the mods plus it'll up my insurance in the mean time.

Thanks again

Pants

ps Anyone else doing big miles like 20K+ pa and whats your insurance like ??
Old 17 November 2007, 11:56 AM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Have a wee gander at this mate :
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | SidcFaq / SIDC FAQ

I don't do big miles only about 8 ~ 9k a year so my
miles are usually tootling about town. I'm lucky if I get
200 mles to my £30.

Insurance :
2003 WRX, usual Andy F mods declared, 28, 7 yrs ncb, car on driveway, tracker, Fully comp / protected - £450 ish.

Hope this helps,
Craig.
Old 18 November 2007, 01:17 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for you help... but that page and most others seems to forget about models after the bugeye ... ie blob and eagle ..

are there any other reference pages anywhere more dedicated to these??

+ anyone else doing big miles in their STIs ??

Cheers

Pants
Old 18 November 2007, 02:43 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Welcome aboard..

Well I've got an 05 wrx (saloon) with two under 5's (isofix child seats) and the usual cr@p that you have to carry and I would say that, depending on how old your kids are, you may find it a bit tight, especially with the dog..!

When using the isofix anchor points (by far the safest way of securing a child seat) there's not a lot of room between. In fact, you can't sit an adult, even a skinny one in the middle..! If you use seat belt anchor child seats you have a little more leeway, as you can move them closer to the door. However, that's not so safe..!

Best try one out for the afternoon from your local dealers, as if you can manage the space they do make a very good family car, considering what they actually are..

IMHO I'd try a stretch to an 05> STI as they came with a whole host of mechanical improvements. Prices at the moment are very low so you should get a nice one for ~£15k.

You may find the STI a bit too raw (hard suspension etc) for every day/high miles, you therefore may want to look at an 06 2.5wrx with PPP. put some 18" alloys on and they actually look very good. Plus less undesirable attention IYSWIM..?

High miles, well the fuel is the biggest expense, but you have it paid for you (lucky sod..!) however, servicing is scheduled 10k minimum requirement, most people change oil every 5k to be safe. Depends on the type of driving you do.

Go and try one out with your family and dog in tow..
Old 18 November 2007, 06:06 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Space shouldn't be a prob (no long married so we haven't got kids yet but thats a work in progress ) either way that fourth seat wont be used for while.

There's a scooby garage fairly near me (downham market) so will nip over there and have a look ... just trying to do my homework first before I get suckered in !!!
Old 18 November 2007, 07:25 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

[quote=PantsUK;7419833]Space shouldn't be a prob (no long married so we haven't got kids yet but thats a work in progress ) either way that fourth seat wont be used for while.

There's a scooby garage fairly near me (downham market) so will nip over there and have a look ... just trying to do my homework first before I get suckered in !!![/quote]

Very wise approach, you'd be amazed at how many people buy cars without investing a little time only to then bitch that their car isn't what they thought it would be..! The amount of times you see "I thought it would be this or that", when they never even had a test drive..!

Sorry about adding the extra kid, I can see into the future, lol...!

You'll be in exactly the same scenario we were when we got our scoob with a 12mth old, only no dog..
Pop into your dealer and tell them your concerns about space and to elevate them you'd like a car for an afternoon, at least, to do the weekly family shop or something..

Sometimes a cars great reputation can lead to disappointment when you actually get behind the wheel, always try before you buy (an hours drive at least)..!
Old 18 November 2007, 09:24 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Get a forester STi ?
Old 18 November 2007, 10:15 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I might try the "need a full afternoon scenario" ... its not the best time of year for car dealers so you never know ...

As far as the forester goes ... if I was going to have a bigger heavier slower car I'd probably go for an Audi S4 estate but until I have to an impreza should do me just fine ... (I currently have a saab estate .... fun fun fun )

Now back to my earlier question anyone know of a guide detailing the difference between the blobs or at least heard of the Vspec special edition as that doesnt seem to be talked of anywhere ??

Thanks again guys .... (this forum and the community in general was another tick in the box of car requirements!!! )
Old 18 November 2007, 11:27 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

this should link to the V

Autotrader - SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI V-LIMITED ONLY 555 MADE RARE
Old 19 November 2007, 12:20 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Why buy secondhand when you can have brand new WRX for under £15k?

The Motorhouse -||- For Sale: Subaru Impreza WRX

But hurry.

By the way, cheapest new style 5 door WRX £18,500 and brand new RB320 now £28K.
Old 19 November 2007, 12:21 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

PS - I have no connection with Motorhouse! Just happened to be trawling for myself this even ing.
Old 19 November 2007, 06:59 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

227bhp is all .... but it is food for thought thanks for this
Old 19 November 2007, 12:06 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK

That is very nice, but I haven't heard of one of these on this year of car.

It may well be the Spec C, flowered up a little. Awesome car all the same.
Old 19 November 2007, 12:43 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
That is very nice, but I haven't heard of one of these on this year of car.

It may well be the Spec C, flowered up a little. Awesome car all the same.
Loks like a Spec C V Ltd although I did not think They had rear wash wipe a s my Spec C LTD does not have it.

looks like a nice car,although needs all docs checked etc

Mac
Old 19 November 2007, 12:46 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

If you can find an 05STi with PPP already fitted at a good price second hand, spending about £800 on a remap, uprated panel filter, 3 port boost solenoid and some PFR7B spark plugs, should see you up around the 350bhp mark and is a great car to drive.
Whatever Scooby you choose, I'm sure you'll love driving it ... mine still puts a on my face every time.
Old 19 November 2007, 01:01 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

mate do yourself a favour,get a spec c!.i have had 3 scoobs up till now and i kick myself for not buying a spec c last time round.out of the box they are the daddy!i remember the day i got my sti remapped by bob rawle,i was delighted by the way but when asked how would mine compare to a spec c,he replied"love them great car,far better etc etc,or words to that affect"

if you can afford running costs etc might as well do it right.i seen two over the weekend at wrc ireland,put my head away
Old 19 November 2007, 01:56 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

As far as I can see the Spec C looks great but I still fancy the mod cons of Aircon and leccy windows and I think I'm right in saying these don't come on that model ?? I know that may not sound very "commited" but although I can live with stiffer springs, louder exhaust etc but I can't live without aircon on a hot sweaty day .. in a business suite ... stuck in 50miles talebacks on the M25 .. if you've ever been there you'll know what I mean. And as I do about 10K miles over the summer period this can become a regular occurance....

So it looks like the WR1 could be the best compromise available ... and although may not hold its value quite as well as a spec C shouldn't be that bad + as its a UK car insurance cheaper ???

(if I can afford a decent second car I think a rawer car may be the order of the day)
Old 19 November 2007, 06:14 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK
As far as I can see the Spec C looks great but I still fancy the mod cons of Aircon and leccy windows and I think I'm right in saying these don't come on that model ?? I know that may not sound very "commited" but although I can live with stiffer springs, louder exhaust etc but I can't live without aircon on a hot sweaty day .. in a business suite ... stuck in 50miles talebacks on the M25 .. if you've ever been there you'll know what I mean. And as I do about 10K miles over the summer period this can become a regular occurance....

So it looks like the WR1 could be the best compromise available ... and although may not hold its value quite as well as a spec C shouldn't be that bad + as its a UK car insurance cheaper ???

(if I can afford a decent second car I think a rawer car may be the order of the day)
I have a Spec C ltd (view my scooby),it has air con and electric windows, unbeleivable car and i am glad i got it, it might be to raw though as their is no soundproofing lighter glass etc. WR1 would be a good choice if you can find a mint one,think the owners club is WR1OC or something like that, they usually have a few for sale on there.Insurance is not that bad from Gary Moulson on here(Moley wrx) check insurance section.

Good luck.

Mac