Sponsored by:

Petrol question

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2007, 04:11 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Petrol question

When i bought my blobeye about 4 weeks ago i filled it with BP ultimate, the next 3 tanks have been normal unleaded as i drive steady to work and back so thought i didn't need the extra?

when i went to fill up "again" today i noticed it has 98ron only inside the filler cap?
the ultimate is only 97 ron so do i need to use octane booster as well?
Old 11 November 2007, 05:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really, the ecu is really smart and will reduce the performance to avoid damage.... Some would chuck £3.30 of octane booster in, especially if you are going to give it some. A bit different with JDM imports tho' they need 100 RON ! !

Dunx ( and his octane booster collection....)

P.S. I ONLY use the decent stuff, and carry octane booster in case !
Old 11 November 2007, 06:00 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

It should give you advice in your 'instruction booklet'. Think most owners would agree that V Power or Tesco 99 is a better bet than BP ultimate (some people find their cars run lumpy on this). Also think most would recommend that you use SUL all the time, esp if it is an STi.

If you have a JDM I think you may need octane booster unless you have it mapped for UK fuel, though someone may correct me.

HTH
DNC
Old 11 November 2007, 06:40 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks

i was told the car was a UK car when i bought it - looking at the service book it had its PDI in Germany so i guess it should be the same as a UK (euro car?)

on the motorway yesterday i had a proper drive (i only drive to work and back usually) and 70-80mph it was fine but when i put my foot down it was hesitant
It felt like my golf turbo, etc when 1 of the coil packs was playing up or a S40 turbo i had when 1 of the plugs was faulty.
I'm due a full service next weekend (inc plugs) - should i ask them to check for anything or will using SUL cure the problem? i guess the ecu could be holding back due to poor fuel?
Old 11 November 2007, 06:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Some people in the forces buy cars abroad, or tax exempt, and bring them back to the uk, had a Mazda that was right-hand drive, but had a left-hand drive rear panel fitted to put the fog light on the "foreign" side. Then brought back to the u.k. and sold to me complete with German service stamp !

Dunx
Old 11 November 2007, 07:22 PM
Tired Old Dad
Scooby Regular

Having aready blown one engine apart, i always use Shell v-Power. I can't afford another engine and the cleaning properties of the fuel are suppose to be good.