Sponsored by:

Bumper spray job price??

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2007, 11:05 PM
DirtyScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper spray job price??

I've a mate who has his own Insurance approved crash repair business and he has done stuff for me in the past such as when I had my P1 it was full of stone chips so he resprayed the bonnet, bumper, splitter and blended in the front half of both wings for the price of £600 which I then got quotes from local repairers including a BMW approved place and the £600 knocked them into touch with 1 quote being double.......he also resprayed some Focus front and rear bumpers for me when I returned it to standard before selling that and buying my 04 WRX for £80 a piece.

I've now managed to get hold of a genuine Newage WRX STi front bumper which is unused and not sprayed and I rang him to get a price and he rang back and said £185 for prep & spray if it was a geniune bumper and more if it was a fibreglass replica.

I'm thinking that the £185 seems steep compared to the other jobs he has done for me so have any of you had brand new bumpers sprayed if so what price did you pay?

Also is it more expensive as the WR performance blue would be more expensive than Ford machine silver paint wise?

Also what does he mean by prepping the bumper?

Any thoughts, prices, constructive comments appreciated
Old 08 November 2007, 11:12 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Prepping means to get rid of any blemishes and to get the bumper to a glass, smooth finish which can involve a lot of work in itself sometimes.

I had a front bumper done not long ago and it cost me £240, ive known them to be a lot more, your quote sounds cheap to me.
Old 08 November 2007, 11:47 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Did mine myself with 2 x £12 cans of prof matched WR blue Halfords paint and can of high build plastic primer. Was a FAR better job than the £100 spray job on my STI 8 spoiler done by a bodyshop. For about £40 including lacquer its worth a try
Old 08 November 2007, 11:58 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mate has just redone a rear bumper from a blue colour to black mica for £120 he's a proffesional sprayer but doesn't have a fancy workshop.
Old 09 November 2007, 12:11 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Tell him £150 for cash! But even at £180 it's a good price - he's done work for you before, you obviously think he did a good job or you wouldn't be going back, so why try and screw a few bob out of him? I always try to have a deal with folk but you have to leave them with some profit otherwise you don't get good service and they won't look after you the next time you want something done in a hurry.

Anyway, for comparison, my wife's new Merc got scraped on the rear bumper by a little old lady who couldn't park. Most of the marks have come out but it is still going to cost her insurers £500 + VAT to remove the bumper, prep, spray, bake [you can't do that with cans!] and refit.
Old 09 November 2007, 09:16 AM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

i paid 225 for my fornt bumper to be fixed beacuase i ran over it and it snapped and then all smothed bk on and resparyed
Old 09 November 2007, 09:33 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Price seems good to me. Best thing is you know he does good work A garage down the road could cost you £50 less and then do a pants job.. Worth the risk? i think not!
Old 09 November 2007, 09:46 AM
Barnesy
Scooby Regular

Looks a good price if the work is up to scratch.
I've paid between £150 and £250 for a bumper respray.
Old 09 November 2007, 01:26 PM
DirtyScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
Tell him £150 for cash!
Its always a cash quote for me anyway

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
so why try and screw a few bob out of him?
I'm not I simply had no idea how much the job would cost and going on previous jobs he has done for me it seemed steep although from most of the replies it would seem a decent price

Just need to get the bumper picked up now as the ebay guy still hasn't replied with the collection details yet even though I've paid via paypal

Thanks for all the helpful replies anyway its put my mind at rest
Old 09 November 2007, 02:40 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

If you trust his work pay the money mate,
ive just got back from the bodyshop that the wifes car has been at for the last 18 days, they were replacing the rear bumper after a prang but they just cant get it right
AC
Old 09 November 2007, 04:08 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DirtyScooby
I've a mate who has his own Insurance approved crash repair business and he has done stuff for me in the past such as when I had my P1 it was full of stone chips so he resprayed the bonnet, bumper, splitter and blended in the front half of both wings for the price of £600 which I then got quotes from local repairers including a BMW approved place and the £600 knocked them into touch with 1 quote being double.......he also resprayed some Focus front and rear bumpers for me when I returned it to standard before selling that and buying my 04 WRX for £80 a piece.

I've now managed to get hold of a genuine Newage WRX STi front bumper which is unused and not sprayed and I rang him to get a price and he rang back and said £185 for prep & spray if it was a geniune bumper and more if it was a fibreglass replica.

I'm thinking that the £185 seems steep compared to the other jobs he has done for me so have any of you had brand new bumpers sprayed if so what price did you pay?

Also is it more expensive as the WR performance blue would be more expensive than Ford machine silver paint wise?

Also what does he mean by prepping the bumper?

Any thoughts, prices, constructive comments appreciated
had my rear done after some **** head lightly rear ended me when the car was 5 days old cost him just over £300 notes, your mates giving you a good deal.
Old 09 November 2007, 10:00 PM
johnnywrx
Scooby Regular

Just got my front bumper repaired after a numpty hit it just to remove strip and re-primer and spray £722 a little scratch and 2 dents on the bonnet £150 cash your price is very good m8 take it especially if you know the work is good
Old 09 November 2007, 10:20 PM
scooby jay
Scooby Regular

Like most people have said you get what you pay for seems a good price to me a good painter is hard to come by these days a good paint job is 90% prep if u get this right then the paint is straight forward yes there will be cheaper places but like i said you get what you pay for paint and materials aint cheap nowdays especially waterbase paint so i would use the same guy as before you will then know your guranteed a top job
Old 09 November 2007, 10:58 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

As above real hard to find good painter. My 53 STI had been sprayed on bonnet to cover stonechips and it was rough as. Took hours with P3 and machine polisher to get it shining again. If you know his work is good then really cost is not main factor.