Sponsored by:

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2007, 10:25 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo

will a bigger turbo on a standard engine do any damage without remapping???cheers from a newishby
Old 02 November 2007, 10:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

depends how big and at what bar ??? the sensible money is on the remap. Plus I'm just guessing with 7 posts you think adding a bigger turbo and nothing else will make the car quick ??? err wrong
Old 02 November 2007, 10:42 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
depends how big and at what bar ??? the sensible money is on the remap. Plus I'm just guessing with 7 posts you think adding a bigger turbo and nothing else will make the car quick ??? err wrong
no..has a decatted exhaust..upgraded manifolds,and sti,intercooler,dumpvalve,and soon to have a induction kit i hope justtrying to see which is the right one..surely a bigger turbos gota do something???
Old 02 November 2007, 10:45 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by festering
no..has a decatted exhaust..upgraded manifolds,and sti,intercooler,dumpvalve,and soon to have a induction kit i hope justtrying to see which is the right one..surely a bigger turbos gota do something???
sorry and a bigger stainless exhaust..The main reason i ask is that ive just replaced the engine today and dont want to kill it ...
Old 02 November 2007, 10:48 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Ding ding ding !! and the winner is ??? Well there is your answer!!! A new engine and you want to fit a bigger turbo and not get it remapped to save cash ??? Durrrrr
Old 02 November 2007, 10:53 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

Ding ding ding !! and the winner is ??? Well there is your answer!!! A new engine and you want to fit a bigger turbo and not get it remapped to save cash ??? Durrrrr
The engine that was in the vehicle was an ebay purchase with no history a red top but maybe it was just powder coated..it wasnt a match for the car as it was out of a p reg and the wagons on a t ,,so the engine may have had any sort of damage...A mate of mine has a scooby with larger turbo running for about four years with no remap but is that just a fluke??
Old 02 November 2007, 10:55 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

p.s i never said i wanted to save cash and not get it remapped>>>dind ding ding....i was asking for advice to see if i should spend the cash and get it done
Old 02 November 2007, 11:00 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Dont run it under any load until you get it mapped and it will be fine. By no load i mean no boost or foot to the boards.
Old 02 November 2007, 11:05 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

so i definatly should get it remapped ???does this cost a leg or an arm???
Old 02 November 2007, 11:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

My quote wasn't ment like that, You have just fitted a new engine, I pressumed you blew the last one up?? After changing the engine you were hoping to run a bigger turbo without the expense of a remap ??? Lots of subaru engines blow up but not half as many as the ones that have been mapped properly

Last edited by stevebt; 02 November 2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02 November 2007, 11:18 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

so i definatly should get it remapped ???does this cost a leg or an arm???
remaps are anything from £600+ for a custom jobby inc the licence. many people on here have used the likes of...

andyf
bob rawle
jollygreen monster
pat hepburn
steve simpson

etc etc...

i dare say you can run a decat and a bigger turbo without a remap, but some sort of boost controller would be required, otherwise the standard ecu will see the engine overboosting, due to the extra power available, causing boost cut or limp mode.

with your selection of mods, id go for the remap, as you have obviously spent on your car, and you would like the returns for your "speculation" of hard earned... right?

also, why are you going for an induction kit? does the car have a front mount intercooler? if so, fair doos, but if not, scoob+induction kit+m.a.f. failure in lots of cases

just my tuppence
Old 02 November 2007, 11:18 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

My quote wasn't ment like that, You have just fitted a new engine, I pressumed you blew the last one up?? After changing the engine you were hoping to run a bigger turbo without the expense of a remap ??? Lots of subaru engines blow up but not half as many as the ones that have been mapped properly
so out of interest do you know how much boost a standard 2.0 turbo engine can handle???its giving me a headache... as a mate just said the guy whos run the bigger turbo although has a bigger turbo may not be running as much boost(does that make sence??)so i think ineed to 1:get a boost gauge2:see what max boost i can give the engine3:sort it out
Old 02 November 2007, 11:22 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
remaps are anything from £600+ for a custom jobby inc the licence. many people on here have used the likes of...

andyf
bob rawle
jollygreen monster
pat hepburn
steve simpson

etc etc...

i dare say you can run a decat and a bigger turbo without a remap, but some sort of boost controller would be required, otherwise the standard ecu will see the engine overboosting, due to the extra power available, causing boost cut or limp mode.

with your selection of mods, id go for the remap, as you have obviously spent on your car, and you would like the returns for your "speculation" of hard earned... right?

also, why are you going for an induction kit? does the car have a front mount intercooler? if so, fair doos, but if not, scoob+induction kit+m.a.f. failure in lots of cases

just my tuppence
can you explain the induction bit??i have a top mount intercooler and thought the induction kit was just the air filter giving the air more ease of entry??I need all the help i can get as never owned anything like this...was just on demon tweeks looking at the bling
Old 02 November 2007, 11:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

so out of interest do you know how much boost a standard 2.0 turbo engine can handle???its giving me a headache... as a mate just said the guy whos run the bigger turbo although has a bigger turbo may not be running as much boost(does that make sence??)so i think ineed to 1:get a boost gauge2:see what max boost i can give the engine3:sort it out

It all depends on what mods you have and "who" maps your car, My last car was a UK99 and it had a standard engine, but once mapped by Andyf i ran on a standard engine 1.6bar on a td05 and at a later adte 1.5bar on a td05-20g Mapping is your friend, if these turbo's had not been mapped to my car they would of blew my engine up for sure
Old 02 November 2007, 11:29 PM
DANNYBOY2511
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing to do mate, is speak to a good tuner first.

they will prob tell you to get a decent after market ecu if you want to run a bigger turbo with more boost, the likes of gems or apexi etc.

they will advise on induction from there,wether you need panel or cone filters. depends on the aplication.

there are a 1000 answers to your question. but without knowing what you want and what turbo etc you want. its very hard to say either way.

good luck with what ever road you go down mate
Old 02 November 2007, 11:33 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DANNYBOY2511
best thing to do mate, is speak to a good tuner first.

they will prob tell you to get a decent after market ecu if you want to run a bigger turbo with more boost, the likes of gems or apexi etc.

they will advise on induction from there,wether you need panel or cone filters. depends on the aplication.

there are a 1000 answers to your question. but without knowing what you want and what turbo etc you want. its very hard to say either way.

good luck with what ever road you go down mate
just thinking i might bolt the original turbo back on before i start driving it....and saving for a remap....at least i wont kill the engine...
Old 02 November 2007, 11:37 PM
festering
Scooby Regular

thanks all for the advice....its been a long day...and ive only driven it twice...
Old 02 November 2007, 11:38 PM
DANNYBOY2511
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just thinking i might bolt the original turbo back on before i start driving it....and saving for a remap....at least i wont kill the engine...
good idea i think mate