Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long can you drive with no insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2007, 05:08 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can you drive with no insurance?

Don't even think about it!

But . . . there are some numpties about who do and The Daily Telegraph today reports that they have formed a page on Facebook entitled "Anybody who wrote off any car/drove without insurance".

The page asks "Please join this group and state:

1. What car you wrote off.
2. Where it was.
3. Consequences.
4. How long u was driving about with No Insurance"

[The spelling and grammar are exactly as printed I might add!]

It is reported that the group has 172 members and features 123 accounts of stupid driving together with lots of photographs too.

I wonder why the car insurance companies are now checking this page out!

Funnily enough, it was only in the early hours of this morning - as I was totally absorbed by this link

Prison?

Also here already on ScoobyNet

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...stonheads.html

which I thoroughly recommend to every single ScoobyNet reader - that I read a post by a guy who told how he lied about his prison conviction.

In following posts it turned out that another forum member could identify him by his full name from his forum posts and profile, and that he was a Ford of Australia employee who had, quite probably, lied on his job application form and, therefore, his Australian work permit.

The former convict, who admittedly had only done 3 days in prison for unpaid parking fines, had so annoyed others on the forum by his posts that someone was tempted to drop him in it with both his employers and the Australian immigration service! So be careful!!

Indeed, the original story I was reading was about an Integra driver who admitted causing a very serious accident in which a motorcyclist was critically injured and who now has lifelong problems.

When the police investigated the accident, they took the forum web address from stickers on some other Hondas that turned up at the accident as they had been travelling in a convoy. Are you now thinking about your ScoobyNet sticker?

Within a few hours the plods [who clearly engaged their brains on this one] had identified the Integra driver's nickname and downloaded all his rather boastful [even aggressive] posts about his driving together with some, shall we say, less than helpful comments that other forum users posted after they had heard of the accident.

All of this was then used, along with other evidence, to support the prosecution claims that the guy was racing on the public highway and driving dangerously.

He got 12 months in jail.

Again, set aside a couple of hours, and read what could happen to a very great many of us in the space of 10 seconds or so by "getting it a bit wrong". It really is is sobering stuff and deserves the widest possible audience.

Prison?

Apologies if this all seems a bit heavy, but for one bloke enjoying his motor cost him, his victim and their families one hell of a lot more than some petrol and a bit of rubber.
Old 02 November 2007, 09:39 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

mmm - no takers?
Old 02 November 2007, 09:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Driving without insurance deserves a big police threat! As what would happen if you ran over someone?? The country makes a big deal of drink drivers (i'm not supporting them ) but if you were run over by one they have insurance to help you claim and get the compensation you need. People with no insurance are JUST A MENACE !
Old 02 November 2007, 09:50 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

At least now they are impounding the to55ers cars, when one of the few traffic cops around happen to come across them....

Dunx
Old 02 November 2007, 10:54 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Got a link to this facebook page, would be worth a laugh?
Old 02 November 2007, 11:56 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Can't help with the link I'm afraid - it's a technology too far and I not a Facebooker!!

As someone who has never knowingly broken the law on car insurance, I did have an anxious moment when I discovered quite by chance that I had let my MOT run out by 3 months - something I have never ever done in 40 years - which technically made my car uninsured. Needless to say the car was MOT'd the very next day at 0800!

I only realised it after seeing other motorists being pulled in a major operation in Birmingham which set me thinking "My MOT must be due about now". You can imagine my suprise when I got home and discovered my error!

Now I have the tax, insurance and MOT due dates stuck on the inside of the windscreen by the Road Angel.