Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Has anyone ordered a new MY01 or STI Import

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2000, 10:50 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This time two years ago everyone was buying the STI V including myself as soon as it was announced.

We now have a new STI produced, but no one has admitted ordering one yet.

1 Has anyone ordered an STI
2 How much
3 From who

Is the import business on STI's dead ?

Has anyone actually bought a Euro Import. Same question again.

Jonathan
Old 13 December 2000, 11:14 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

It's because the exchange rate is so crap at the moment and the waiting lists are soo long. No comments on the looks of the car mind.
Old 14 December 2000, 01:18 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Ok ill be the first one to say it or maybe the second, but i've ordered one. I ordered it back in august and im test driving one this week. I don't really care about its looks, its how it handles and goes that i am concearned about. I will be going from a peugeot 306 1.8. so i will probably be quite shocked when i get in one and drive it.I don't know, we will soon see.

Scrappy
Old 14 December 2000, 01:40 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

HEY SCRAPPY

You will be rapt if you buy the MY01.
I picked mine up about 6 weeks ago and its farking unreal...
I too had a 1998 306 pug 1.8 and thought the world of it...
Fark was i wrong..
The sube is a senational car and i wouldnt swap it for anything (maybe a porker)
Buy it and you will never regret it..
SILVER WITH TINTED WINDOWS AND SUNROOF>>>
Old 14 December 2000, 10:32 AM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Wink

No offence guys, but going from a 306 to a WRX is sure to impress you. The real question here is the difference between the old and new shapes.

Jonathan,
Judging by the importing imprezas e-group, many people have ordered euro-import MY01s, but none delivered yet.

I have an order with a UK dealer on the basis that I can cancel if I don't like it after a test drive.

I do hope that anyone who has ordered a euro-import can do the same!

As for jap-imports, I guess that this will still go on. I would be tempted, but after my accident I seriously doubt I could get insurance for a grey.

It's probably best to wait for the UK-spec STI. I don't think that Subaru UK will be able to retain it's high prices. Mr. Lewis may well be right about the P1 prices coming down. I think that supply for UK WRXs will outstrip demand. It's only a matter of time before prices must fall.
Old 14 December 2000, 01:00 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

new shape STIs are scarce in japan (received a note from japan recently from someone who is trying to buy one himself) and FHI are keen to deliver to their domestic dealers first - also with the yen at 150/£ not many UK importers are interested as they can make far bigger margins on the evo 6 which still sells for ridiculous prices in the UK thanks to favourable reviews in press/media (evo 6 is no more expensive than an sti in japan).

I think Iain Litchfield could probably source one at a reasonable price but you would have to wait a while - and even his contacts may not be able to source a car until the jap domestic market has got its fair share. I have also read that FHI are frowning upon those mediterranean countries that import cars and then immediately ship to the UK - thus this route may dry up soon - get in quick if you can.

Me, I'm waiting for at least the version 2 or 3 as they will be far more interesting and hopefully won't have the god-awful front end of the current model.

but if you must have one I am sure that someone will take your money !

Paul W