Anyone got a Valentine 1?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 05:11 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks

Recently aquired a V1 radar detector from America.

Trouble is, I'm not convinced I'm getting enough warning on two of my local gastso's.

Both are on the A1 on final approach to Edinburgh. (National Speed Limit, dual carridgeway.)

According to the test on the UK Speed Traps website, I should be expecting 8 or so seconds warning.

What I'm actually getting is more like 2 - 3 seconds (if that).

(I realise there are a number of factors which will affect signal strength and I haven't tested the detector on any other cameras yet.)

My current conclusions are:

1. The cameras aren't switched on and something else nearby is triggering the detector making it seem like a late warning (not too likely, nothing much around except fields.)

2. The detector isn't very good (yet these V1's are supposed to be among the best around - the guy on the above mentioned website rates it as good/better than a Bel550)

3. I haven't mounted it properly (though it's on the centre of the windscreen sitting level.)

4. Mine's a duffer (hope not!)

5. Some other localised reason/interference causing a late warning on these two specific cameras (like I said I haven't tested the V1 out on other Gatso's yet.)

Anyone with any experience with Valentine 1's could I have your comments please?

Ta very much

Rich
Old 08 January 2002, 06:42 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Hi Rich. I have one and rate it highly, just make sure it is not being shielded by your scoop or wiper blades....

It is excellent normally and is a godsend (old term I know but all I could think of) on the M25 for the camera mounted ones and picks them up over a mile away.

All the best

Tim
Old 09 January 2002, 09:46 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The Gatso may be on flash only mode. Apparently the power of the radar is significantly reduced if this is the case. I have one which sometimes gives 5-6 seconds, and sometimes gives 1-2 on the same camera on a different day. Don't really want to test out the theory though
Old 09 January 2002, 11:06 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

The american ones are configured slightly differently to the uk ones.

have you been to the various detector forums to check what the uk settings are and change your USA configured one so it matches ours?

(just a case of increasing some and turning down others from what i've read).
Old 01 September 2002, 01:01 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys...

Tim

Hi mate, haven't spoken to you for a while - hope you're well

The wipers and scoop shouldn't be the problem as I postion the detector about half way up the screen.
Glad to hear you reckon these are good detectors though... (bit of faith restored.)

fast bloke

That sounds conceiveable (though I don't fancy testing it myself!) It certainly would explain the problem I'm having so I hope you're right!

ptholt

Not sure about increasing or decreasing any settings, but I have found out how to switch some on and some off.

i.e. The "Ku" band, which is sometimes used in the U.K. but not used in America, is not switched on by default.
I've switched it on manually using the instructions on the Valentine 1 website.

You can also switch other bands off or use the "Logic" mode which seems to selectively warn you depending on the level of "threat".

Mine's currently setup to find and report on all bogeys.

I'll persevere with it and let you know what I find - good or bad.

Thanks again

Rich

[Edited by RichS - 1/9/2002 1:03:02 PM]