Sponsored by:

Me v Ducati monster 916

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2007, 10:43 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me v Ducati monster 916

Well I like a challenge, but when a colleague suggested we take part in a friendly comparison I had to laugh. These bikes are rapid (I thought)

Now he doesn't like me.

From a standing start up to a very healthy speed I was around 2 car lengths infront.

Bring on the comments.................
Old 22 September 2007, 11:09 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

clueless biker.....had a few bikes and once rolling scoobies (amongst other porsches and the likes) would be firmly in the rear view mirrors and would stay there unless it was a back road blast where it might be a bit more even....916 isnt a new bike but by **** they can go !! 900-1000bhp per tonne if you work out 150bhp ish and 170kg.... i did slightly msread on that it wasnt a 916 but a monster which is slower but would still munch your *** to 120 easily !!
Old 22 September 2007, 11:35 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
clueless biker.....had a few bikes and once rolling scoobies (amongst other porsches and the likes) would be firmly in the rear view mirrors and would stay there unless it was a back road blast where it might be a bit more even....916 isnt a new bike but by **** they can go !! 900-1000bhp per tonne if you work out 150bhp ish and 170kg.... i did slightly msread on that it wasnt a 916 but a monster which is slower but would still munch your *** to 120 easily !!
Bear in mind that pretty much anyone who knows how to drive car get a fast start in a scoob/evo. It takes a bit of skill for a biker to get a really good start on a big bike. Some of them have so much power (plus only one wheel to put it thru') that if they don't watch they either have to back off or wheelie, etc.

I know that in the old scoob I matched some big bikes off the mark. I know for a fact that once above a certain speed they'd have left me for dead, but that on some of the back roads I've been on the car hasn't been embarrased at all.

Also know a biker who when another biker was slagging the car off actually stood up for the car. He was well impressed by how well the car could stay with the bikes on the B roads.

As with everything it all comes down to bottle/b*lls, etc. I rarely go above certain speeds on the roads these days (not telling you what the exact speed is ) and I know that it's quicker than a lot of people and slower than others. It doesn't mean I'm racing, etc.

In a car you can throw it into a corner and if you **** it up then you have some protection from what you hit, etc. On a bike you have none of that, therefore on a back road how you compare with any bike has a lot to do with how much bottle (or lack of brains/caring/skill) the biker has, nothing to do with how good/bad the car or bike are.

I've also gone up against a Duke at 3 sets of traffic lights one after the other. I wasn't going to bother initially but he was revving the b*lls off it at the first set. Surprised him and at the second set we were both ready for it, I matched him again and by the third set he waved me on ahead of me. Moment we caught up with traffic I moved over and let him passed. Both gave a wave. Couldn't say for definite if he was 100% and I know that the car I had then (UK wagon with ~290bhp) wasn't the fastest motor out there.

Power to weight (or outright power) means nothing, a lot is down to the guy behind the wheel/handlebars and how much they want (or have) to win.
Old 23 September 2007, 12:18 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yea but if the same guy was on both, the bike will always be quicker full stop
Old 23 September 2007, 02:31 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

as the obvious was stated, peeps drive cars all the time and most bikes are weekend toys etc and with weight and 4wd its easy to get a clutch slipping and dump thew power in..something that on a bike takes a bit of talent hence why i said clueless biker...not that i mean the guy is a bad rider, just that it takes a bit of practice to do drag starts....done a couple on my ducati at crail and whooped most ***'s ! not easy to do as the head shakes and the *** squirms and if you get it wrong then you are sliding up the road on yer *** ! ! not a lot of people ride aggressively from a start and only once rolling ....like for like the bike takes 10 out of 10 starts no competition in it !!
Old 23 September 2007, 01:04 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
yea but if the same guy was on both, the bike will always be quicker full stop
why's that then ?
Old 23 September 2007, 01:38 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

I have both, a MY05 STI PPP and a Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade and my bike would obliterate my car in most situations, standing start, rolling start, motorway etc..... I've upset many 911 Carrera's and Turbo's and even a Ferrari F430

The only place where my Subaru would stand a chance would be on the B-Roads/Twisties etc because I would push the car maybe more with higher confidence knowing that I'm protected by a shell. Come off on the bike at 70mph plus and it's all over, in a car you obviously feel a lot more safer. Would be a case of pulling off on the straights and then being caught up by the Subaru on the tighter bends.

However mine is a Superbike, a Ducati Monster weights a lot more with less power. I still think bike should have still won from the lights.
Old 23 September 2007, 01:44 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

The only place where my Subaru would stand a chance would be on the B-Roads/Twisties etc because I would push the car maybe more with higher confidence knowing that I'm protected by a shell. Come off on the bike at 70mph plus and it's all over, in a car you obviously feel a lot more safer. Would be a case of pulling off on the straights and then being caught up by the Subaru on the tighter bends.

However mine is a Superbike, a Ducati Monster weights a lot more with less power. I still think bike should have still won from the lights.[/QUOTE]

i agree i've had a play with lots of bikes they pull away on straights but you catch them on the corners, 1 bad bump and their off i've got 3 other wheels and a shell to protect me, put both on a track and my guess is you prob wouldn't see the bike till the finish imho
Old 24 September 2007, 04:48 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

All the above comments noted.

Returning to work, matey can't explain it. He's a keen biker but I imagine he isn't that experienced plus his bike "aint all that" imo.
Old 24 September 2007, 04:51 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to Bike V's Car, if the bikes a fairly decent super sport / super bike its just a matter of ********* versus common sense, standing start times on a bike are proportional to the size of your gonads (metaphorically speaking).. And a Ducati Monstor is NOT a quick bike .. HTH..
Old 24 September 2007, 06:03 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevey
why's that then ?
Stevey.....if you ride a supersport bike (ie cbr600/suzuki GSX-R750/yamaha R1 etc etc )
you will know
Old 24 September 2007, 06:15 PM
barry wemyss
Scooby Regular

my mate has a zxr with couple of mods he can take out most iprezas and evos and few others even his mates bigger bikes as his is a 750 i think (not a bike person sorry )
Old 24 September 2007, 07:53 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
Stevey.....if you ride a supersport bike (ie cbr600/suzuki GSX-R750/yamaha R1 etc etc )
you will know
rode a cbr600 for a while now, still the question is "if the driver/rider is the same person" why would the bike always win as you stated, who says they can ride as good as they can drive or vice versa
Old 24 September 2007, 07:58 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

and just to show

and the others
Old 24 September 2007, 08:00 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

and one of me in action
Old 24 September 2007, 08:43 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

and one of me in action
pmsl
Old 24 September 2007, 08:50 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with the comments made here, bikes are undoubtably fast, but form a standing start it would seriously be down to the rider. Easy enough to launch a 4wd car quickly, much more skill involved launching a fast bike!
Old 24 September 2007, 08:51 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barry wemyss
my mate has a zxr with couple of mods he can take out most iprezas and evos and few others even his mates bigger bikes as his is a 750 i think (not a bike person sorry )

A modern ZXR750 will destroy any Impreza/EVO off the line and on rolling acceleration, even heavilly modified ones.. The book 0-60 time is just under 3 seconds.. just need the ***** to hang on.. Even a CBR600F has a 0-60 book time of 3.2 seconds. And both bikes have a higher top speed, you'll run out of gears long before the bikes

What you find is someone will beat a fair-weather sunday rider off the lights on an R1 or GSXR1000 and instantly their car is the fastest thing in the world
Old 24 September 2007, 08:52 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bicco
Have to agree with the comments made here, bikes are undoubtably fast, but form a standing start it would seriously be down to the rider. Easy enough to launch a 4wd car quickly, much more skill involved launching a fast bike!
Exactly! Side stepping the clutch at 5 grand doesnt take much skill or gonads
Old 24 September 2007, 09:28 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Exactly! Side stepping the clutch at 5 grand doesnt take much skill or gonads
So twisting the throttle and releasing the clutch on a bike does.
Old 24 September 2007, 09:30 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
much more than it does in a car mate, can go wrong easily if you dont know what to do
Old 24 September 2007, 09:46 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Old 24 September 2007, 10:23 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Also remember that if you race a bike and he's no good and bins it you can look forward to a lengthy spell in prison even if there is no contact between you and the bike.

It's already happened once on here.

Cheers
Lee
Old 24 September 2007, 11:06 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Question

You got an ITR hiding in that 2nd photo?

TX.

and just to show

and the others
Old 24 September 2007, 11:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I love the bike vs car debates

I "drove alongside" a bike this evening on way home from work. Turned off M25 down sliproad & stopped at lights. Bike pulled up between me & car on inside lane (don't they always!). Lights changed & bike pulled away slightly quicker. Curve of r/bout let me catch a bit so was on his tail coming on to straight. I gunned it to be fair just to keep up (which I did), bike slowed a bit to let "slow" car in fast lane move over & I had no trouble keeping up. At end of straight was a serious 180 degree bend. Bike had to slow right down so that I was again on his tail. Bike had a few serious wobbles taking this bend (leaning over quite a bit!) whereas my car was actually going too slow. Bike then turned off without waving

I'm not saying that my car is quicker than any bike, just that I could keep up with this chap without too much trouble in a real world situation.

TX.
Old 24 September 2007, 11:33 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
You got an ITR hiding in that 2nd photo?

TX.
no mate close, civic ek9 type r
Old 24 September 2007, 11:38 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I love the bike vs car debates

I "drove alongside" a bike this evening on way home from work. Turned off M25 down sliproad & stopped at lights. Bike pulled up between me & car on inside lane (don't they always!). Lights changed & bike pulled away slightly quicker. Curve of r/bout let me catch a bit so was on his tail coming on to straight. I gunned it to be fair just to keep up (which I did), bike slowed a bit to let "slow" car in fast lane move over & I had no trouble keeping up. At end of straight was a serious 180 degree bend. Bike had to slow right down so that I was again on his tail. Bike had a few serious wobbles taking this bend (leaning over quite a bit!) whereas my car was actually going too slow. Bike then turned off without waving

I'm not saying that my car is quicker than any bike, just that I could keep up with this chap without too much trouble in a real world situation.

TX.
Man that biker can't ride full stop !
If you guys want to know Bikes vs Cars .....just watch any "on-board footage" of any Isle of Mans TT Laps

Last edited by bighead; 24 September 2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 25 September 2007, 12:06 AM
fabiostar
Scooby Regular

Default dear o dear

having come from the bike racing world end of things.tell the monster rider to turn the throttle TOWARDS him and itl go better .

unless its a twisty road with a fat 56 yr old riding it .its game over for any car..

still get wet on the bike mind you.and the cd is normally crap on them

fabio
Old 25 September 2007, 01:45 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fabiostar
having come from the bike racing world end of things.tell the monster rider to turn the throttle TOWARDS him and itl go better .

unless its a twisty road with a fat 56 yr old riding it .its game over for any car..

still get wet on the bike mind you.and the cd is normally crap on them

fabio
With you all the way mate! Iv had a zxr600, TLR1000, GSXR600 and a 750 and they all would poo on auy Scooby! And all this about getting a subaru off the line better

You may get a car lenth but as soon as that bike back wheel has grip buy buy what ever your driving!

Unless your car looks like an over sized audi TT with 4 turbos and 1000bhp that is or mates with lewis hamilton
Old 25 September 2007, 07:33 AM
gillyz20let
Scooby Regular

theres a guy who lives round the corner from me with a suzuki gsx600 one of them with SRAD on the back and he always has a go down a bit of duel carridge way just out side the village, on the roll after 50mph im stuck to him like glue, deffo wouldnt be the same if it had a few more cc.

my dad used to have kwak zzr1100 and that thing would hit 180 2up before my scoob would hit 100.

Quick Reply: Me v Ducati monster 916