Sponsored by:

Bloody thieves

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2000, 01:34 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My neighbour came over to me a few days ago and told me to keep an eye on my car.

Apparently some kids had gone around my estate and smashed in a load of cars and nicked items from them.

It really annoys me that you have to be so careful not to leave anything on display in your car, outside your house. Otherwise some di*k will break in and nick it.

I never usually leave anything on show, but the thieves kept well away from my car. I wounder if its anything to do with the Clifford alarm I had fitted?

They would have been pissed off if they had wasted their time breaking in. All my stereo equipment is well secured and all my CDs are copies (I keep the originals in the house).

While I am on this point. Does anyone know where you can get the lock to the boot release (next to the drivers leg) from? If you look close, you can see that there is a cover where you can put one. They fit them on the Rover 600.
Old 12 December 2000, 01:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I have a UK MY99 4dr car.

On my car there is a lever as part of the boot latch mechanism which will disengage the handle inside the car. I found this out by accident when i caught the lever and engaged it.

Hope this helps

Paul
Old 12 December 2000, 01:45 PM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Do you mean the catch that is phsically attached to the lock in the boot? It lifts up and down to lock/unlock and prevents the boot from being opened from inside the car.

I've got one on my MY00 so it's probably on the other models.

I'm sure someone can explain this much better than me.
Old 12 December 2000, 01:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

David.

Yep - thats the kiddie. it is a two way latch so you can change it back as required.

Paul
Old 12 December 2000, 02:15 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

I am accually talking about the levers inside the car, next to the driver. There is one for the boot and one for the fuel tank.

On these levels is a cover, about the size of a 1p coin. You should be able to get a lock to put there.
Old 12 December 2000, 02:15 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

It's on 98s as well, for a week I thought the cable release had broke
Old 12 December 2000, 02:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Sgould
Yes you are correct about the plastic trim adjoining the handle in the car. a lock could theoretically be put there although this is unlikely to stop a thieving scumbag.

IMHO
The latch on the boot lock attached to the bootlid is a much more secure option. They are likely to pull the handle in the car with no visible effect on the boot lid and give up.

As Banshi put it 'he though the cable had broke' - just what ya want 'em to think!

At the end of the day the back seats pull down so the could get in that way if they wanted to although it is a lot more awkward.

Hope this helps

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 12 December 2000).]
Old 12 December 2000, 06:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

This lock on the release lever - it wouldn't be for the boot that you can get to by dropping the rear seats would it?

Sadly Scoobies don't seem to have any "safe places" - even the glove box is insecure.

mb
Old 12 December 2000, 06:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Bugger,

Paul must have edited his reply a few moments ago, so SNAP!

mb
Old 12 December 2000, 07:25 PM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

hmmm, thinking on, although this is probably the wrong attitude, on my Terzo ( with non-folding back seat), i could set the lever as said ( i always wondered what it was for ), and thus have a totally secure boot, <B>but</B>, then run the risk of having the boot lock screw drivered, .....so which is worse, a missing bass box and amp, or a missing bass box and amp, plus a knackered boot lid

i spose it just depends on how well informed they are, and how determined they are
Old 12 December 2000, 08:07 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well now the theifs might know that you have a bass box and amp in yer boot!

Some kids might not even know about the release lever by the drivers seat, so we might end up with screw-drivered locks anyhow

Sunil
Old 12 December 2000, 08:32 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Some theiving little **** has allready screwdrivered the lock on mine(on the boot) , it's going in the shop tomorrow to be repaired . The hole has been welded up and now the only way into the boot is the latch inside . They tried to steal the cd player but didn't have a cross head driver , the cd player is now also welded to the boot floor .
Dave
Old 12 December 2000, 11:01 PM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

Old 13 December 2000, 09:19 AM
sgould
Scooby Regular

Atleast if the thieving b@stards have to break through the lock first, it will give me chance to kick **** out of the b@st@rds first.

Annoying thing is, it will be me the police cart away then.
Old 13 December 2000, 10:43 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

5 cars in my road were broken into a couple of days ago, and my house (just took a coin box the the washer/dryer meter). Really nice welcome back to the UK after a holiday. One of the cars was my old cavalier. They levered the passenger front door lock, but 'cos of deadlocks (and a flat battery) couldn't open the door. So the stupid donkies smash the window on the same door. Surprise surprise the door still won't open. They must of climbed across the glass and opened the drivers door. Found nothing in the car, so smashed the locked glove box open. Again found nothing. Kucking funts. Anyway, the car is effectively scrap now. With the value of they car being roughly the same as the excess I won't bother claiming and will scrap the car. Annoyingly it's got new disks/pads/tyres all round. It's not often I wish ill of people but I hope these ******* get a very nasty skin complaint for the rest of their miserable lives.

Jerome.

PS: From 5 cars all they got was a 7 year old personal CD player. From the meter they didn't get much 'cos it had been emptied recently. Probably caused £2-3000's worth of damage for a few quid.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 13 December 2000).]