Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2007, 04:56 PM
pumba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hello And Im Lost!!

First of all I would like to say Hello!
And then on to business....
I am looking to change my family drive ( Laguna RN ) for a sportier car ! I am really looking at a scooby, but am lost on where to start. Is there anywhere I can find a buyers guide etc, One I am interested in is 2001 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX TURBO SILVER - eBay Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 18-Sep-07 22:14:13 BST)
I am looking to spend around the £6000 mark and keep insurance kind of pleasant £600-700 per year, I am 29 with 11 years no claim. Now to the picky bits, I would like silver, but really not sure if I want the Estate for practicality or the saloon, I really am lost so any advice would be great and really appreciated, and the wife would stop nagging me.

Thanks in advance guy's and girl's

ps, and its got to be a turbo with a dump valve, so I get the wooossshhhh :-)
Old 19 September 2007, 05:00 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of helping you there mate until i saw the last part with the dump valve and the whoooooosh bit, pure chavtastic that.

Mac
Old 19 September 2007, 05:10 PM
pumba
Scooby Regular

Sorry, just a bit of humour on the end!!!!

Seriously it would have to be a turbo, a boyhood dream of being able to afford to insure one.
Old 19 September 2007, 05:59 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

First ring A-Plan (details in the insurance section), to see what the damage would be for different models and years.

You should be able to get it around £700 for an STi i would've thought.

That will help you decide, although £6k will only get you a Bugeye WRX or classic. Might be able to get a special classic model though.
Old 19 September 2007, 09:17 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

You could get a mint classic with low mileage for 6k, As for insurance try confused.com as i got my uk classic insured through them for £500 fully comp (was 30 when i first insured it).Do make sure you have some money left over though,These arent the cheapest cars to run and maintain.Watching the petrol gauge visibly go down when your driving enthusiasticly can be a bit of a shock when you first buy it
however its worth every penny as long as your a car enthusiast, bang for buck you cant buy much better than an Impreza imo.As for the dump valve, If thats what you want then fine go for it but dont worry if the car you find dosent have one as these are relatively cheap and easy to replace with the oem one

Just seen that advert you listed, Please be carefull when you make your purchase!Theres alot of dogs on ebay.Try to get as low mileage as you can and a FULL service history with these cars is a must.Also get a hpi check and buy with caution, if the purchase doesnt feel 100% right then walk away! theres plenty out there to pick form.Theres many threads on here where someones dream purchase has turned into a nightmare.

Last edited by turbomatt; 19 September 2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 19 September 2007, 09:24 PM
help2003
Scooby Regular

ive got a 97 catalunya turbo, 28 9yrs no claims for £370 from churchill
Old 19 September 2007, 09:29 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
I was thinking of helping you there mate until i saw the last part with the dump valve and the whoooooosh bit, pure chavtastic that.

Mac
Alot of people would say the same thing about your gold wheels mate each to their own i say

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2007, 11:35 PM
pumba
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply's, Im off to look at the one mentioned in my first post on sunday, are there any real important things i should look out for? Any major issues? Please Please help, I will be getting the car HPI checked aswell, and the cambelt and big service was done 4000 miles ago, What should I be looking out for?

Right an update,

I have agreed to purchase a scooby now , the seller has had to take the private plate off, he has no V5 back from the DVLA yet but all the correct mot and tax, Should i wait until the V5 is returned before i purchase and collect the car? What complications are involved if there is no V5 present.

Thanks

Last edited by pumba; 25 September 2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Update on info
Old 25 September 2007, 09:19 PM
pumba
Scooby Regular

Please
Old 25 September 2007, 09:53 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Are you 100% on this car ? Have you checked all the other documentation to clarify that it matches to the vehicle you want. Also conduct HPI check has it got FSH etc and has someone in the "know" looked at the car?

My adice is do not rush into any purchase. Do loads of research on hear to find out if the one you are buying meets your needs and to ensure there is not a better model/style out there.

Have you got a link to the car you are interested in, as someone on hear maybe able to identify it etc.
Personally I wouldnt buy a car like a Subaru without all the documentation.

Thats enough of the negatives......Good luck
Old 25 September 2007, 09:56 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Hope you've seen the car as those photos were from 2004.
Old 25 September 2007, 10:05 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

No v5 could be genuine, how long have they owned it? If only a short time it would seem plausable. But then again if they have only had it a short while, you've got to ask yourself, why!
I would at least HPI it.
Old 25 September 2007, 10:13 PM
pumba
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
Hope you've seen the car as those photos were from 2004.
The photos show that date as they never reset the time on the camera.

There is a folder full of documentation on the car, I have done a check online and all comes back ok, The only reason the V5 isnt there is because of the plate change. There is some service history with the motor, but i am going to get a complete overhaul, belts etc as my old man is a mechanic I have viewed the car, driven the car all at the blokes house. Its a tidy motor, and the exact of what im after.

Does anyone know this car? ( in the first link )
Old 25 September 2007, 10:31 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fact that it's a bugeye would put me off

Is the 5 previous owners part correct? If it is then, I personally would be a little concerned, especially as you say it comes with some service history.
Old 25 September 2007, 11:31 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Hope all goes well for you mate but any car that has had the seats, door cards, clocks etc all changed over for whatver reason would start alarm bells ringing with me , fair enough its an sti replica but would you honestly just start swapping seats, door cards, clocks etc on a car which is not that old ??

five owners is a few too many for me as well, but again really do hope it all works out well for you, lets know how you get on ??

cheers