Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Clampdown on modified exhausts (EU directive)...

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2007, 12:48 AM
RallyInfo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clampdown on modified exhausts (EU directive)...

What does this mean for us all?...

"Boy racers have until next July to get rid of modified exhaust pipes on their cars, under an EU directive on noise pollution.

The law which comes into effect next year will ban the exhausts as part of a range of measures aimed at reducing noise emissions.

But it's not yet clear how the government will enforce the rule, or whether drivers could face fines for having enlarged exhaust pipes"

Clampdown on modified exhausts - Politics - Ireland - Breaking News - Belfast Telegraph
Old 06 September 2007, 01:28 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

It means that if your car is loud or distinctively loud - as most Imprezas are, then expect the law to try to chomp on your ****.

I think it's newer car owners who are most "at risk" as ISTR the V5 now states the noise level of the car. Though noise measurement is fraught and only really comparable in the same place, using the same equipment with the same guidelines.

As to what they can do about it.... Section 59 notices, maybe, though usually, that requires some form of "driving like an ****". Pulls and producers, "defect" notices requiring an MOT sign off.

Not wishing to parody "Not the 9 o'clock news" but it may well come down to "having a loud exhaust in a built up area" is a bad idea.

J.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:37 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also talk of toughening up the punishment for driving an "un-roadworthy car" which would mean after 3 offences you'ed loose your license..

So technically you could get 3 defect notices and boom license gone...

Interesting eh?
Old 06 September 2007, 08:39 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I have a NInja Backbox and wouldn't expect to get fined.

However, some cars are stupidly loud and SHOULD be removed forthwith IMO
Old 06 September 2007, 08:40 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Section 59 covers anything now as it's the opinion of the officer ,my mate nearly got 1 for his exhaust last week as the officer didn't like the noise.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:50 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

its a rule obviously designed in good faith as i agree, some cars and bikes out there are too loud. I had a bike race past me on sunday and nearly split my eardrum the exhaust was so sharp.

The problem is the police will interprete it as being any car with an aftermarket exhaust which is a shame
Old 06 September 2007, 09:00 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

I hate stupidly loud cars but some times I feel its a saftey issue on bikes as its better that you notice them.. but some people do take the ****!
Old 06 September 2007, 09:02 AM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

There are ways and means of having loud exhausts and not annoying everyone on the planet!

Sensible driving late at night and down side streets helps! Also, most exhausts will accept a 'bung'!! Makes a huge difference on my Vortex. Makes the car quiet enough to not annoy the neighbours early in the morning!! Then when I get out onto the main road, I pull the bung out and everybody's happy!!

Amyway, don't you think the EU should perhaps be worrying about some of the slightly more important issues!! Bloody do-gooding politicaly correct numpties if you ask me!!
Old 06 September 2007, 09:11 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Excellent news if this comes into play, I seriously hate loud exhausts, very disrupting and inconsiderate.

I know a lot of Impreza drivers have very loud exhausts, but as mentioned the considerate ones use bungs and drive considerately, but there are a large amount of idiots who think they are impressing someone by revving their car a lot as they go past, people actually believe other people are going "wow, his exhausts loud", when actually they are thinking for the most part "stop being a w*nker!!".

This will hopefully hit the chav factor hardest and mean less problems with car noise for a lot of people who dont necessarily want to hear a loud exhaust.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:23 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I am in 2 minds on this one.
I dont particularly like the overly loud ones, but do love the dull burble of the boxer engine.

One of the reasons I have not rushed into a new exhaust for mine. I just want something SO subtle.
Aaah well, I will watch and wait now
Old 06 September 2007, 09:25 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

If you want a nice noice but as un-offensive as possible just got for a straight through system with HUGGGE silencers, that way you get minimal restriction and a gorgeous subtle exhaust note.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:27 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

adjustable bungs like the aston v8 vantage would be nice as there is a 206 near me with THE loudest exhust on the planet and he leaves it warming up when he leaves the hotel near me at 11-00pm to 1-00am in the morning. One time i jumped under my bed yelling earthquake. Removable bungs is a nice idea, but no-one would use them tbh
Old 06 September 2007, 09:42 AM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

someone invent a motorised exhaust bung - james bond stylee - exhaust loud, exhaust quiet(er) at the flick of a switch :-)
Old 06 September 2007, 10:00 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Active exhausts
Old 06 September 2007, 10:00 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L33_WRX
someone invent a motorised exhaust bung - james bond stylee - exhaust loud, exhaust quiet(er) at the flick of a switch :-)
There is one. The sport pack on the Carrara does this. Drops a plate/opens a vent in the exhaust which makes it louder at the touch of a button! (Also sets gearbox to mental mode and ride quality to 'skateboard' but hey sounds good!)

I deliberated ages on an exhaust for mine as i didn't want an anti social one. When it is fitted, it probably will be as i got a centre section and de-cat to go with it. Trouble is, it is being mapped for more power and to do it right the exhaust needs to be swapped out.

I also have a race can on the bike but, it is very marginal on noise limits and i'm getting the sound deadening material re-packed next week to keep it as quiet as possible without losing the performance.

As others have said you can be loud but considerate and people will think it sounds lovely, act like a pleb and they'll just think you are a chav.

5t.
Old 06 September 2007, 10:24 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

the paperwork for my car has the exhaust noise listed in it for stationary and moving at x rpm. I changed my backbox to a PE T75 and had to get my car retested and the modified noise limits added to my paperwork.

It is a pain in the **** but at least I know and the police know that my car is within the specified noise limits, even though it is loudish, not as loud as those NUR Spec bean can thinks it sounds fantastic. I have never had a problem with the police over my exhaust. I drove past a police roadside check yesterday and teh copper didn't bat an eyelid.
Old 06 September 2007, 10:29 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

ok, what exhaust brands are considered loud/quiet?

Ive got a Magnex system that has a nice burble but doesn't seem too loud to me.

Wayne.
Old 06 September 2007, 10:31 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by [Davey]
If you want a nice noice but as un-offensive as possible just got for a straight through system with HUGGGE silencers, that way you get minimal restriction and a gorgeous subtle exhaust note.
If it is any help, I went for a scooby sport decat downpipe along with a Prodrive PPP resonated mid pipe and a PE T75 backbox, it sounds fantastic and is not offensive at all, you keep the boxer rumble and also benefit from a non offensive sports exhaust. I also changed the manifold to a Gruppe S v2 and matching up pipe. I am very happy with the noise level my car makes as I also hate the 4 or 5 inch backboxes that some scooby drivers think look and sound cool. I also have a fully decated car that doesn't sound decatted so don't get problems from the police. I can also site in the hisgh street on tick over without shaking the shop windows.
Old 06 September 2007, 10:34 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

ooops!! May have to send my Roger Clark team ice system back in that case.
Old 06 September 2007, 11:45 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive system (PPP) was designed to meet the relevent noise regs and holds certification to that effect (I am led to believe!) Having said that, I removed the resonator section but I'm glad I kept it (behind the shed, of course!) Mybe Mike Wood could confirm?

JohnD
Old 06 September 2007, 12:00 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
So technically you could get 3 defect notices and boom license gone...

Interesting eh?
Would certainly cut down on illegal plates.

This country does my nut in sometimes. Too many do-gooders in power. You can't do anything nowadays.

With just a little tweak to the proposal, everyone would be happy:

"Noisey exhausts are illegal on 206, Corsa, 106, Saxo's and motorbikes. All subaru's are exempt from this due to making such a nice noise".

Last edited by GazTheHat; 06 September 2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:15 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Actually its been illegal for a long time (since 1993) to change any emissions (noise or pollutant) related item for anything other than either a 'chinese copy' (essentially the same part from different manufacturer) or a tested as being capable (eg PPP) part. This has been part of the UK construction and use regs since about 1995 as the EU law passed in 1993 made it a requirement for all nations to put it into national laws - although strangely never incorporated into the UK MOT, most people (even the police) are completely unaware of this!

So to summarise, in the UK its been illegal (strictly) since 1995 to fit any exhaust thats not either a 'pattern copy' or been tested.

So when Milsport tell you about their 100% road legal sports cats, they clearly don't know their bums from their elbows......

From House of Commons Hansard Written Answers - 10th Jan 2007

Mr. Drew: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what measures he has put in place to ensure that car owners do not alter exhaust or silencer systems after an MOT test to ensure that those systems do not break noise regulations. [114124]

Dr. Ladyman: Enforcement of the Road Traffic Regulations is primarily a matter for the police, although the Vehicle Operator and Standards Agency support this process through a programme of roadside inspections.

An objective assessment of the noise levels of individual vehicles during a roadside inspection is problematic due to interference from other noise sources, and static testing does not necessarily give a good representation of the level of noise with the vehicle in motion. However the Department is considering letting further research into the feasibility of a simple and robust test that might be used in these circumstances.

Mr. Drew: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will further tighten regulations 54 and 97 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 to ensure that exhaust and silencer systems remain in good working order and do not make excessive noise. [114125]

Dr. Ladyman: The Department currently has no plans to tighten the regulations referred to, although this position is kept under review. Regulation 54 already requires exhaust systems to be maintained in good and efficient working order and prohibits modification to increase the level of noise emissions. The regulations as they stand are therefore adequate for dealing with noisy vehicles.

Regulation 54 - "every exhaust system and silencer must be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not after the date of manufacture or be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases".

Regulation 97 makes it an offence "to use a vehicle in such a manner as to cause any excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care by the driver". Enforcement of these requirements is by the police and in the case of maintenance, at MOT.

(thanks to 10/10 on the foz forum)

Simon
Old 06 September 2007, 12:16 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Prodrive exhausts are technically illegal. They are added as an aftermarket item, even if fitted when PPP is applied. They are louder than standard, and therefore not allowed.

A bloke from Scotland was prosecuted for having a PPP exhaust, Prodrive were going to attend the court case to help defend, but in the end just paid his ticket for him. That is not going to help if you get Section 59 or whatever it is though...

Coppers can now do what they want. If they don't like it in their opinion, then your stuffed...you don't even have the right of appeal.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:25 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave East
most exhausts will accept a 'bung'!! Makes a huge difference on my Vortex. Makes the car quiet enough to not annoy the neighbours early in the morning!! Then when I get out onto the main road, I pull the bung out and everybody's happy!!
Mine's too loud without the bung, very rarely take it out except to go to car meets.

Even gets commented on with the bung in!

TyneTeesScoobies :: View topic - Blue Classic K555***
Old 06 September 2007, 12:32 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

The argument used to be to put the BS kite mark on but Police didn't want to go checking to see if the system was legal or not, hence to focus on bikes as it is much easier to see if the exhaust is stamped with a kite mark or not, removable bungs and baffles aside.

Regulations like this have been much better enforced in other countries, that is why there isn't a huge car tuning scene in.. France for example. However, bit open on the "altered to make more noise" versus "altered to improve performance with the knock on effect it has increased noise" be an interesting argument.

5t.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:51 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Drive to Germany... Get TUV test and paperwork, drive home?

Failing that, move to Germany. I'd rather live and work in a country that has sensible rules that are enforced rather than the "bag of ****e" that we currently seem to be poking around.

J.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
However, bit open on the "altered to make more noise" versus "altered to improve performance with the knock on effect it has increased noise" be an interesting argument.

5t.
Not really. The argument will be over before it starts. The officer will say that in his opinion its too loud, and that under Section 59 he has the power to impound the car as he is sure that another officer will have noticed this in the past and warned you.

No right to appeal, £180 to collect your car from the pound the next day. Your expense to get home and to the pound. Coppers laughing at your when they drive past you on your long walk home. That is what they do here.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:57 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The new PPP exhausts from MY06 have been approved to European standards and can no longer be deemed illegal under the new regulations.
Old 06 September 2007, 01:01 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

That is good to hear Beastie, and I believe that was Prodrive's argument. I think they were tripped up on the fact that the car, as new, was not supplied with a PPP kit (even though it was ordered at the time of purchase). As such, the standard system was removed by the dealer, and the new louder exhaust fitted. Even though the new system meets noise limits, the fact was that a quieter system had been present, therefore the fine stood.

I am ready to be corrected though
Old 06 September 2007, 01:10 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Drive to Germany... Get TUV test and paperwork, drive home?

Failing that, move to Germany. I'd rather live and work in a country that has sensible rules that are enforced rather than the "bag of ****e" that we currently seem to be poking around.

J.
You don't want to live here! you can't get a decent curry

Quick Reply: Clampdown on modified exhausts (EU directive)...