Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help getting a car started,any Cambridge Scooby folk about?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2007, 12:10 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help getting a car started,any Cambridge Scooby folk about?

Hi guys

Finlay got round to trying to get my wee Rover 200 going, the car has been off the road for a good year and like a plonker I have only run it once in that time.

I have connected a newly charged battery and have electrics, car doesn't start though surprise surprise!
When I turn the ignition the oil light stays on and the battery light stays on, again no surprise really.
What I need to know now is how to go from here, I have electrics but the battery light is on, the car doesn't even try to start, could this be the immobilizer?, I would have thought if the key fob stopped the alarm then it would disable the immobilizer, I'm guessing its to do with the fact the car hasn't been running, but what should I be checking first? I guess it could be a whole number of things, but it doesn't even try to turnover and the bat light stays on, so I'm guessing it must be electrical?.

If I sound a bit thick its because I am..basically , I know some of the basics about cars but never tried to get one going before.
What I could do with is a bit of help if honest, is there anybody in Cambridge that could give us a hand? there be a couple of pints in it or a few quid.

No **** taking please I'll just tell you to **** off as I'm not in the mood to tolerate narrow minded, arrogant, windup merchant feckwhits.

Cheers for any help
Old 02 September 2007, 12:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If the car doesnt turn over then its either your immobiliser or the starter motor/solenoid has seized. You need to see if you are gettting 12volts to the starter motor.

Andy
Old 02 September 2007, 08:34 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

When you turn the ignition on, do you hear a whine from the fuel pump?

if the fuel pump dosent energise, it wont send an ok signal to the ecu, and there will be no spark delivered.

Does the engine turn over? if it dosent turn over, then you need to sort that first...

if it turns over , apply the following method

Suck... do you have air entering the engine... is the airfilter clean and unrestricted.. do you have fuel being delivered into the engine

Squeeze.... do you have compression on the engine on all 4 cyls

Bang.... do you have ignition / spark (electrics / immobilizer/ plugs)

Blow... do you have exhaust exiting the engine. lambda sensor not kaput etc

hope this helps

mart
Old 02 September 2007, 08:47 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

take the exciter wire off the starter and clean it. very common on rovers as its at the front of the box just behind the grill and collectc all the dirt.
Old 02 September 2007, 09:03 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that guys, the engine doesn't turnover at all, no noise, nothing, had to leave it for today anyway going to have another look in the week if ever get any time after work

I did think starter motor but thought there would be some sort of noise from the ignition, it maybe the immobiliser, I hope not as I cant find the code, if the fob turned off the alarm would it not have disabled the immobiliser? solenoid etc is a good idea, the engine bay is a bit on the messy side probably all sorts of gunk blocking connections.

Cheers again guys I'll post any results I get
Old 02 September 2007, 09:20 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

would it be an idea to change the oil and filter before you start it, also maybe,turning over the engine with out the plugs in by hand or spanner on the fly wheel just to make sure everythings nots seized up.
Obviously without the ignition turned on.
Old 02 September 2007, 11:46 PM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Bump it! I've never failed to get a car to start by working up a sweat and shoving the thing down a hill, getting a mate to ride the clutch. My old man's LDV van often comes in handy for doing same task- big rubber bumpers.