Sponsored by:

Been Busy Today

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2007, 10:24 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been Busy Today

Spent quite abit of time fitting my new dials today.

Its a triple gauge pod for the dash top replacing the clock and tat tray. I got it off Gauge Place through ebay, nick5hock they call the guy. First pod sent was slightly damaged but I rang him up and he sent me another out that day on the trust I returned the origanal. I bought the 60mm Autogauge Carbon Gold kit with Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and Boost..

Well, as I said, fitted it all in today and the bits supplied are really usefull, the number 3 cylinder adaptor for the oil temperature and the pressure switch relocator made the install really easy and fast. The hardest part was the electronic boost gauge.

Down sides to the kit was, there is no brackets supplied with the gauges so I siliconed them into the pod and the is no clips for the pod so yes, you've guessed it, I siliconed that in also lol.

The gauges do the opening sweep on switch on, have peak value memory, press the button and the peak value is shown and the all have alarm buzzers and flash when a danger level is reach, oil temp and boost is high level and oil pressure is low level.

All in all, pretty cool, I love them, just like Defi gauges but £400-£500 cheaper.

If you thinking off Defi Gauges but cant stump up the money, these are very good value for money.

Here the link to the guy:

GAUGEPLACE SUBARU GOLD TRIPLE 60mm GAUGE PKGE (CARBON) on eBay, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (item 280132636487 end time 17-Oct-07 14:45:00 BST)

And here some pici's for you to look at

Alright Eh?
Old 30 August 2007, 10:47 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Northern Nick

Down sides to the kit was, there is no brackets supplied with the gauges so I siliconed them into the pod
Wrap electrical tape around the body of the gauges, leaving about a 1-2mm gap from the bezel on the gauge, holds them in nicely. Have to wrap the tape round a couple of times though I think.

Gauges look good
Old 30 August 2007, 10:56 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

To late for the suggestions I've got about 5mm of windscreen bond holding them in, they aint going anywhere but if I'd thought of that, i'd have done it it.

Cheers though
Old 30 August 2007, 10:59 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good! Planning to use these gauges myself.

Is it easy to remove the clock assembly from the dash? I've had a quick look and it seems to want to just pull off but was sticking at the front so I stopped before I broke something.
Old 31 August 2007, 09:57 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

how hard was it to fit the sensors for the gauges and running them up to the dash??
Old 31 August 2007, 10:07 AM
nash_wrx
Scooby Regular

Top mod mate, have used nick 5hock before he is very good and very quick too

Last edited by nash_wrx; 31 August 2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: err
Old 01 September 2007, 12:13 AM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I'm not getting notifications for some reason, Thanks for the comments.

Tim
Yes the clock just pulls out, mine also stuck at the front but I just gently pulled and rocket it and it just flew out with a bang, nothing broke and it is just clip in. So becarefull and just keep pulling at it (sounds a bit rude that )

Chris
If you buy the kit, either the gold or the other one that come with the adaptors, it makes it really easy to fit. For the oil temp sender, you need to remove the TMIC and pipe to turbo, which I'd guess comes off with the tmic on most cars anyway, the blanking bung is just down in there. You will need a Hex bit on an extension bar to get it out with removing anything else but its really easier if you have one. Screw the adaptor into this place and screw the temp sensor into the adaptor. The Oil Pressure is a case of removing the existing light switch, which you have to remove the alternator to this, fitting the adptor that comes with the kit and relocating the "block" neatly behind the alternator with the origanal oil light switch and the new oil pressure sending fitted into it. There are plenty of grommets in the bulkhead to run the wires through so no worries there.

From start to finish, with baby duties & decent breaks inbetween, it took me about 5 hours to do this, it took about an hour to install and route the oil temp/oil pressure sensors & wires, about 40mins to mount & route the boost sensor, tube and wires and about an hour to mount the pod and wire in the the live for the gauges (they only need one positive and one negative, they just daisy chain/link up to each other after that.) So I guess 2-3hrs realistically.

Well worth taking you time over though as there nothing worse than wires everywhere under the bonnet imo. Keep it tidy, looks far better

All the above is based on a MY02 STi, other vehicles may differ but I'd guess all sensor locations will be the same.

Last edited by Northern Nick; 01 September 2007 at 08:09 AM.