2.5 WRX-STI Type UK Limited

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2007, 10:04 PM
dave_100
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 WRX-STI Type UK Limited

Hi,

Bit new to the scooby thing and looking around at a few and came across one of these. Can anyone tell me the differences between this and say a regular STI and the GB270 that I am also looking at?

Cheers

dave
Old 24 August 2007, 10:08 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

The GB270 is based on a WRX with a Pro-drive performance pack. It is NOT an STi ! Hope to help.
Old 24 August 2007, 10:13 PM
dave_100
Scooby Newbie

Yeah saw from other posts that the GB is an uprated WRX, so how different are the WRXs and STIs? Chassis wise and power wise? I tested a non-PPP WRX and it was good but needed more power for me and slightly stiffer a ride.
Old 24 August 2007, 10:20 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

An STI is a different beast altogether. The best thing to do is to try one before you buy. In addition, I would recommend you try a JDM STi before you buy as they are meant to be substantially better to drive than the UK STI.

Sorry, you did ask for specifics, so I will try and help. I am however, stuck in the dark ages having an old classic.

The STI has a 6 speed box as opposed to the five speed on the WRX
The differentials are different, on newer UK STIs you can vary the amount of torque between the front and rear of the car - there is also an automatic mode
The STI can have oversteer, the WRX is always understeer (without modification)
STI will have much firmer suspension
I think the STI has an intercooler spray to help with charge temps on hot days
Some cosmetic differences, better lights I think (HID)

JDM is another step up. Much better turbo, better steering feel other bits and bobs.

Last edited by Luminous; 24 August 2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 25 August 2007, 12:56 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

I've come from a Civic Type R to an 07 plate STi, had a dabble in a WRX and my Type R was faster in a straight line obviously a different story through the bends though.

I think its fair to say that for a true Impreza experience it has to be STi all the way or get something like a GB270 and then add brakes and springs etc

G
Old 25 August 2007, 10:20 AM
dave_100
Scooby Newbie

The GB270, according to my dealer, has prodrive springs and is lower than the STI????
Old 25 August 2007, 01:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

yup, the GB270 does have prodrive springs and sits a lot lower than a standard WRX. However, you can of course put prodrive springs onto an STi

The STi (non prodrive springs) does sit lower than a WRX (non prodrive springs). I don't know if the GB270 actually sits lower than an STi, but I would not be surprised to find out that it did.

It may also be fair to point out that a lot of people have found the standard Subaru dampers to be unreliable and fail quite quickly. Some have had failures (replaced under warranty) as often as 5k miles. A lot of people opt for different suspension anyway.

My advice is to start with the right car, and tweak it to suit your taste. If you are wanting the full hardcore high performance (ride compromised) experience then you really need to try a JDM STi Spec C. If money is no object then the T25 is the one to test drive. Both can be found at Litchfield Imports, and I do believe they allow test drives.

I believe the performance of the Impreza models goes like this, fastest on top
Litchfield T25 (based on JDM STI Spec C)
JDM STI Spec C
JDM STI
RB320
UK STI PPP
UK STI
GB270
UK WRX PPP
UK WRX

The GB270 will probably handle better than the UK STIs given it has the prodrive springs as standard. UK STIs do have A-DCCD though, so they are a better starting point. You can add those Prodrive springs onto any Impreza of course.

There is also a Litchfield T20 that fits in somewhere near the top, not sure where.

All of the above cars are available with some form of warranty. UK cars will have dealer warranty, Litchfield cars have warranty from Litchfield themselves.

Last edited by Luminous; 25 August 2007 at 01:42 PM.