ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Remap question

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 09:08 PM
mike.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap question

I have just got my my00 remapped with an ecutek map, it was ppp'd before hand, plus its got a K&N panel filter an decat 3inch system, before it was mapped it 243bhp, got it mapped an was told it was mapped for mid-range, yeah the mid-range is alot better it just short of 280ftlb of torque, but top end is only 255bhp, does this sound right, like i said it is alot better than it was, but could they of got more out of it ie bhp an keep the torque the same or is it one or the other?

Plus is it is normal for the ecu to adjust, for example when you change fuel an get flat spots, i havent changed fuel that was an example of what has happened, the flat spots dont happen all the time, an only on the motorway but only done 250 miles since it was mapped, im going back tomorrow to get it on the rollers again to see everything is ok.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:21 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

270 or 280bhp might be expected with decat and remap, but there's rollers and there's rollers. It's more important how it feels on the road.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:26 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Agree with Andy dont get too caught up with numbers. Time after time you see people who love the feel of the car then get really disappointed when it fails to make the expected numbers on rolling road days and hastily draw up a new "mods" list.................

Mappers have safety in mind as well don't forget. Lat thing you want is it to go bang the first time you put your foot down in anger.

Bad batch of fuel perhaps? Has it had a recent service (plugs/ fuel filter?)
Old 24 August 2007, 08:06 AM
mike.
Scooby Regular

i have had new sparks in an a service before it was mapped, not a fuel filter though, will see how it goes today then maybe getting that changed if it carrys on, they have asked me to go back today to have it check over to make sure it is running right anyway, cheers guys.

Last edited by mike.; 24 August 2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 24 August 2007, 11:16 AM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike
I have just got my my00 remapped with an ecutek map, it was ppp'd before hand, plus its got a K&N panel filter an decat 3inch system, before it was mapped it 243bhp, got it mapped an was told it was mapped for mid-range, yeah the mid-range is alot better it just short of 280ftlb of torque, but top end is only 255bhp, does this sound right, like i said it is alot better than it was, but could they of got more out of it ie bhp an keep the torque the same or is it one or the other?
bhp = torque x rpm / 5252 so if it's been mapped to deliver peak torque in the lower-mid rev range with it then tailing off as rpm gets higher you won't see that big a peak bhp number. Doesn't mean the car isn't performing though .
E.g. look at a typical diesel engine - lots of low down torque but can't really rev too high (due to long compression stroke characteristics) so you see big torque numbers but relatively small bhp numbers. The reverse is true with the likes of a Honda V-tec engine. Not very much torque developed but they rev to the moon so can generate 200+bhp.
Obviously they drive and perform in completely different ways due to their characteristics.
Usually the mapper will ask what characteristics you're looking for or how and where you drive before setting your car up. As your car has been set up for midrange performance, the figures (which are a can of worms in themselves ) sound about right. Altering the ECU maps can alter how and where torque is produced so will affect the power curve (power delivery and peak power) accordingly.

As said above, numbers really aren't the whole story. It's more about how well the car goes on roads in the real world (IMHO ) so the $64K question is - do you like it?

Plus is it is normal for the ecu to adjust, for example when you change fuel an get flat spots, i havent changed fuel that was an example of what has happened, the flat spots dont happen all the time, an only on the motorway but only done 250 miles since it was mapped, im going back tomorrow to get it on the rollers again to see everything is ok.
ECU can retard ignition if its sensing knock so bad fuel can have an effect. Also though, the car won't necessarily respond in the same way as it used to after a remap so it could be due to how and where the car is now building boost and delivering its new performance. Might take a few miles to get used to the new set up. Worth checking with your mapper though just in case there's a wee issue .

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Stewart.
Old 24 August 2007, 12:01 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=SKS;7205575]
E.g. look at a typical diesel engine - lots of low down torque but can't really rev too high (due to long compression stroke characteristics) so you see big torque numbers but relatively small bhp numbers. [QUOTE]

Actaully they can't rev because the amount of time taken to inject the fuel (remember injection = ignition so you can't start earlier) means once the crank is passed about 30deg ATDC there is no point injecting more fuel, even at 1,850 bar you can only get a finite amount of fuel in in that time!

Simon
Old 24 August 2007, 03:42 PM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
Actaully they can't rev because the amount of time taken to inject the fuel (remember injection = ignition so you can't start earlier) means once the crank is passed about 30deg ATDC there is no point injecting more fuel, even at 1,850 bar you can only get a finite amount of fuel in in that time!
Ahh, right (to the sound of £0.01 dropping) that makes sense 'cause diesels compress their air first and inject fuel into the hot compressed air to get their 'bang' - cheers for putting me right Simon .

S.
Old 24 August 2007, 05:48 PM
mike.
Scooby Regular

As said above, numbers really aren't the whole story. It's more about how well the car goes on roads in the real world (IMHO ) so the $64K question is - do you like it?
yeah i love it , its a different car an the pick up is so much better, makes over taking so much easier to. thanks for all the advice guys cheers
Old 24 August 2007, 06:49 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

As long as it runs better and sound like it should, to the mapper really, then its good. You have a fast road car with manners now on it. Had mine into Zen earlier this week, re map of Tek 2. As it was done before I fitted other bits and pieces, (turbo & IC etc). Not big hp, but manners. Its sounds and runs so much better, like being back when I first got All over again.
As was said earlier, start chasing the big BHp numbers, you might start introducing new problems to your beloved car.
Happy driving,and enjoy 3 & 4 gears all over again.

And put some pictures of your car on.