Can we start paying for Scoobynet?

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2000, 03:28 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Yorkshireman volunteering to pay

Scoobynet seems to be getting painfully slow, even when I access it over an ISDN line. Scoobynet's coffers are surely only so deep, with revenue purely from advertising. This must mean that investment is severly limited.

Question is, if we started charging nominal monthly subscription (perhaps including the 'scoobynews' idea) could 'we' invest more, and make it more user friendly - might also clear some of the crap off

Just thinking out loud - but anyone got any comments?
Old 09 December 2000, 03:33 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Welshman also willing to pay. Agree it would probably get rid of some of the crap that appears on here a lot of the time, although I am sure a lot of people would disagree with this.

Chip.
Old 09 December 2000, 04:19 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Smile

Gary

if Royal Mail wasn't that expensive!!!!

On a more serious note even a Scooby would loose out in a value for money contest against the Scoobynet. So IMHO a monthly subscription fee is more than appropriate.

Cheers

Mike
Old 09 December 2000, 04:38 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Wink

well... that's what they did on the US BBS...

took up a "collection" all volunteer based... and got enough $ to get a new server....

???

just a thought...
if so... I'm in...

j.
Old 09 December 2000, 05:45 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

As I understand it there is a new server in the pipeline, and there's no problem with band-width, at present.

Before the death of the original Scoobynet there was a similar thread which showed that a vast majority of people were quite happy to pay. If this were/was necessary I'm sure Simon would let us know.

However, with regard to eliminating the undesirables, I don't think that it would have any effect as, with a few exceptions, some of the biggest muppets seem to have some of the largest number of postings. I'm pretty sure that they would pay, even if was just so they could continue to turn threads into speculation about their enormous dicks. Or was that ********?
Old 09 December 2000, 05:46 PM
CB1
Scooby Regular

4yr old PC, 56K modem.

Almost as fast as my STI.

sorry, but no complaints from me. And it makes a change not to have to pay for something for a change.

CB
Old 09 December 2000, 05:46 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Count me in. Happy to give a few quid.
Old 09 December 2000, 05:47 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

I think subscribing is a great idea - we could have the Search function back then?

Matt.
Old 09 December 2000, 05:56 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scoobynet getting slow?

Are you serious?

Have you compared this site to others of similar ilk? Didnt think so. Scoobynet is one of the fastest sites I have ever seen. It doesnt matter what you view it from either, modem, isdn, adsl; its all comparative.

And no, I would't pay for it, i think that is a silly idea. Sorry to urinate on the pyrotechnics.

Cem
Old 09 December 2000, 06:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

More than happy to pay if that is what it takes (although I don't think it is necessary) - as long as we don't turn this into some kind of elitest board which spends the entire time discussing the pros and cons of uprated fuel pumps etc. It also depends on your definition of crap doesn't it? Remember this is an open community, we come here because we share a common interest, but it is also a place to relax and chat with your mates.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 09 December 2000).]
Old 09 December 2000, 07:43 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All

Thanks for this.

However...

As many of you are aware, I am COMPLETELY against charging for the use of scoobynet. To date I have managed to stick to ALL of the key principles I decided on when I took over scoobynet...

1) NOTHING will be done / changed unless it has a clear benefit to the scoobynet *community*.
2) ScoobyNet will stay Free to use
3) Make ScoobyNet financially viable

The truth is, we DO need a new server and this is in-hand. But as a few people have said, scoobynet is still very fast indeed, especially considering the hammering it takes day and night.

New servers, huge bandwidth (which is planned to be doubled in the next couple of months) is expensive and needs funding...

Whilst I am not willing to charge for the use of scoobynet (as there is no benefit to the community (not a clear one anyway)), I *am* willing to add additionaly services and charge for *them*.

These include...

ScoobyNews (CD Magazine)
ScoobyGear (Clothing)
ScoobyNet Stickers
YourUserName@scoobynet.co.uk email addresses(coming soon)

All of these take extra work, but are part of the commitment I made to make scoobynet viable.

(I really should take my hat off to Phil at this point for keeping it all going for as long as he did)

I am (as always) open to suggestions for other *additional* features / services which we can make available to you.

I am also talking to my accountants about what would be involved in offering shares in scoobynet for sale to members (nothing decided, but just a thought).

All the best

Simon

PS THANK YOU!

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 09 December 2000).]
Old 09 December 2000, 08:39 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Simon,

I know you have it planned but on-line shopping will have the cash flowing.

Got to try out the new egg card.

Lee
Old 09 December 2000, 08:42 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Scoobynet slow!
This is by far the fastest site i visit and have never found it slow,2 year old pc ,56k down bt line threads download instantly.
paul
Old 09 December 2000, 08:56 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Scoobynet is not slow, even on my old P100 laptop and modem at home.

I Suggest anyone who finds it slow should prehaps free up some space on thier hard disk and also delete the temopary files that your browser creates. You may have a full IE/Netscape temp directory so each time you access scoobynet your PC HD is working overtime.

Old 09 December 2000, 10:06 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

SDB
No we thank YOU M8

BTW if anybody thinks charging would stop me and my fellow Muppeteers posting - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 09 December 2000, 10:07 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

.............excellent i've buggered up the width which will REALLY pi55 everyone off....
Old 09 December 2000, 10:24 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
P100 laptop, 33.6k modem, copper wire phone line. Can't even get cable as I'm in a private road which no-one wants to dig up.

Slow over ISDN? You should stop drinking so much coffee!

BJH
Old 09 December 2000, 11:08 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

If anybody thinks charging would stop me and my fellow Muppeteers posting - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Dave, they'd not seen you bill, but I thought they were going to charge you to breath not to post.

Then realised they'd get more income by getting people to pay for you not to

BTW Just got the phone bill 300 quid is someone telling us something?

Did you go for the BT option if so whats with the restriction on ISPs. Sorry... thats almost an invitation for a serious response

Bn
Old 09 December 2000, 11:27 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

As many of you are aware, I am COMPLETELY against charging for the use of scoobynet.

Si
Ok that's commendable, but before registering I EXPECTED to be charged! How about a one off £2.50 registration fee once you get on line retailing up and running?

4,000 X 2.5 would buy some extra bandwidth?

I would also like to see the search facility restored and am one of the minority that feel Scoobynet has slowed recently. Got timed out on Friday, that was at work not on the antique I'm running today.

Let me know the price of the shares, are we to become another Freeserve

Bn

Old 10 December 2000, 02:49 AM
McMiata Man
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

There is a general slowing down on the net caused by more and more folk getting in on the act. I know that people with Freeserve are having a hell of a time trying to connect at the moment. So, I would suggest that if Scoobynet is slow for you, then it could be the fault of your server and not Scoobynet. I never have a problem with the speed (56k mod) connected to NTL.

As for paying, might work but I think you'll find that someone else will start a BBS which is free and you'll have a big divide going on.

Just my thoughts.

David.
Old 10 December 2000, 03:18 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Me neither Dave

Old 10 December 2000, 08:52 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Smile

Banshi
£300 phone bill - you too eh??

Paying me not to post - now that's an idea....where's my spare profiles

PS - looking at the Freeserve unlimited use for £12.99 p.m. deal (as I am on Freeserve) - so does that mean they will have to rename it NearlyFreeserve??

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 10 December 2000).]
Old 10 December 2000, 09:10 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I am on the AOL unlimited package. £15 per month, includes all phone charges everything - and good service. (used to be on freeserve, even less reliable than a ford )
Old 10 December 2000, 09:55 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Smile

Following may help if anyone thinking about reducing 'phone bills. I had a business line dedicated to fax and net. Last 3 month bill was £215 with £46.35 fixed charge. Sod this I thought and investigated various freetime deals (like AOL mentioned above). I switched business line to residential and took up BT's free after 6 and weekend net calls on "Surf Together" deal at £14.99 which includes the line rental (and includes very awful tax). I also had to find a participating ISP and ended up with PlusNet who charge £5.99 per month. My PC skills are limited so a pat on the back to PlusNet (www.plus.net.uk) who actually have a technical support service that you can reach fairly quickly. I reckon this should halve my phone bill. Sorry I know this is kids stuff to most of you IT guys and gals but may be of use to fellow PC muppets. David
Old 10 December 2000, 10:23 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Consider my self lucky, NTL cable £5 per month for second line, totaly free internet calls and service, never had an engaged tone.

Lee
Old 10 December 2000, 04:05 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Logiclee me neither cut of can be a pain in the bot sometimes though.

Simon
Old 10 December 2000, 08:04 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

There seems to have been a spate of replies recently regarding peoples willingness to pay pay pay for the exclusivity that this would offer the payees for such services. Paying for quality is never to onerous, look at the Scoobynet clothing offered or the much vaunted scoobynet CD both apparently excellent value. But, I strongly feel that to offer to introduce charges for what is a particularly quick service anyway (despite the lack of the search facility at the moment) would reduce the fantastic service that scoobynet offers from a valid forum of all things scooby to a sad group of individuals contemplating their own navels. It would lack the oxygen supplied by new members
Thankfully the moderators seem to be of a similar opinion.
Sorry Rant over. I'll get my flameproof coat now thanks

MY00 DBM