Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Option to change up a year or two...

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2007, 11:56 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Option to change up a year or two...

Hi,

I am currently the owner of a bog standard 05 STi with PPP. I have recently been offered the chance to exchange my car plus a small amount of cash for an 06 STi however I am not 100% sure if the move is all that worthwhile.

I have started to grow fond of the 2.5 STi's and like the look (especially given the 2008 model is dire) however I am quite happy with my 05 STi at the moment, especially with the PPP I am having allot of fun.

So wanted to know the pro's/con's from anyone who has moved up a model from a Blobeye to a Hawkeye:

Is it worth it?
Are they easy to extract more power from?
Burble - does it exist on the STi's (for me this is the distinctive scooby sound and the hawkeye has to be a UK spec, not into JDM's at the moment)?

And anything else you think will add to this topic!

Thanks in advance,

Fz
Old 22 August 2007, 12:51 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

I am currently weighing up a similar situation, basically I'm looking for either a 55 plate blobeye STi PPP or a hawkeye STi without the PPP.

From what I've read so far the hawkeye is more easy to live with day to day and some say its less raw than the blobeye. Power wise it seems the hawkeye has a better base to work off than the blob, with power being easily accessable from either a PPP pack or custom remap.

The burble situation seems to be rectified by adding a turbo/catback exhaust system on the hawkeye, a few people have talked of this recently.

As for it being worth the change, I guess you would have the most upto date STi, it would be under dealer warranty for quite a while and it is possibly better looking than the blobeye, well the front end is, not sure about the rest.

Both superb motors and you can't go wrong with either by the sounds.

G
Old 22 August 2007, 01:09 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.

Aye, I actually prefer the blobeye, it has a much more aggressive look and certainly feels aggressive when pushed about.

I am hoping to test drive the Hawkeye soon so I should be able to make my mind up (or try as I am very undecisve about these things!). I agree though, the hawkeye is a newer car, better perks in terms of warranty however I plan to do some major upgrades to my car anyway, just not sure if I should save the cash and get the hawkeye as a starting base.

Any more opinions?
Old 22 August 2007, 09:31 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

As others have mentioned already a PPP'd hawkeye is a faster and better motor than a PPP'd blobeye although the PPP may not be the best or most cost effective way of getting more power out of the hawkeye but you keep your warranty that way. PPP has its pros and cons. However, if you are planning to do some major upgrades then maybe it is not the best idea to get a hawkeye as if you are changing major components on the car and something goes wrong I am sure Subaru won't want to touch it under warranty. Looking at things that way it maybe best if you kept your PPP'd blobeye and plough some cash into that to make it even more of a beast.

G
Old 22 August 2007, 01:14 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, I have decided to stick to my blobeye for now and turn it into a beast! Once the 07 plate's drop in price I will most likely upgrade to one of those or if funds permit, search for a RB320.

First things first is to get it into a tuner, have seen a few packages e.g. Powerstation, TSL but not sure if there are other options out there? I want something similar to what TSL/Powerstation offer i.e. an upgrade kit to increase the bhp and torque.

Cheers,

Fz
Old 22 August 2007, 01:45 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I've read that the hawkeyes should lOOk to change engine components 350 upwards. Whereas there's plenty of blobeyes running 400+ on standard internals.

I would wait until the new model comes out, the hawkeyes will probably come down more in price.
Old 22 August 2007, 08:16 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I've read that the hawkeyes should lOOk to change engine components 350 upwards. Whereas there's plenty of blobeyes running 400+ on standard internals.

I would wait until the new model comes out, the hawkeyes will probably come down more in price.
Nice spec you got there mate, will make a good reference point for me! (my car is in WR-Blue, does that mean I lose bhp? :P )