Some options

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2007, 08:59 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some options

Im thinking of what would be the best move

I was thinking of a tsl decat downpipe, would the standard ecu be fine with this?

Then going for an ecu, something like the esl board or an apexi pfc as i like the features and the ability to store different maps and boost settings.

Which would be the best option? im not far off doing this so id like it to be the right choice

Thanks
Old 19 August 2007, 09:42 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The standard map on your ECU struggles to control the boost when removing the restriction that is the stock downpipe so a remap of some description would be advisable.

You could use a Dawes or similar manual boost controller set to stock boost levels to keep the boost in check.

Presuming your car is a phase 1 then you have a number of options all of which are very good
  • The ESL board at around GBP600
  • Apexi Power FC at around GBP850
  • Sigma ECU at around GBP1100
The ESL board will retain all the factory safety features such as active knock control and is a very good option for the early cars. I recently mapped an otherwise standard 95 RA to around 300bhp using this board Where is Charley Crocker when you need him

The APFC has better logging facilities and is somewhat easier to set-up if running different MAF's, injectors etc but doesn't have active knock control. You also get the Commander unit which is a hand held control unit that you can alter many settings with, years ago we had the pleasure of mapping with just this, a little long winded but quite do-able!

The Sigma again doesn't have active knock control as a rule but it does have very nice features like individual cylinder trims. You'll find that most Impreza's have slightly different AFR and timing requirements across the four cylinders and as a result you effectively have to detune 3 to reach the limitations of the individual cylinder, with trims for each cylinder they can all be optimsed. Launch control and ALS can also be included.

If mapped correctly all will provide very similar end results; we as tuners are restricted to the engine and it's ancillaries to produce the goods.
Old 19 August 2007, 11:21 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah she's a phase 1 might be a closed deck as i believe the phase 2's went open deck with the sti's being closed.

You have certainly given me something to think about, i do like the handheld commander but det control is more important to me.

So uprated pump, decat, sti8 ic and injectors all on the esl board sounds tempting

Thanks for the info, i'll get back once im in a better position to do so.