Prodrive suspension or 17" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2000, 05:15 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

I'm currently about to order my new Impreza, and I've decided to get an old Turbo, instead of the new WRX.

On my list of options are:

Prodrive Suspension
Prodrive Performance Pack
and Quickshift.

I would also like to add 17" wheels, but funds won't quite stretch that far. This is even more of a problem as it will be a company car, and I can't add them afterwards.

I trying to get an opinion as to which option would be more beneficial, the suspension or the wheels?

All opinions gratefully received.

Andy.
Old 07 December 2000, 05:25 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

I've read on this board that 17in wheels make no difference whatsoever to handling. Yet I've also read on this board that Prodrive say that 17in wheels are the best improvement you can make to handling.

Take your pick...
Old 07 December 2000, 05:27 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Changing to 17" wheels & tyres will make more of a diffence to the car than changing suspension.

Mike
Old 07 December 2000, 06:01 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

What sort of difference Mike?
Old 07 December 2000, 06:19 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Bagpuss,

I'd go for the 17's first definately imho but don't take it from me....

If you read most of the motoring articles on the RB5 they always praised it for being the best handling of the bunch (cue evo article of different imprezas on test)...this car had the same suspension as normal models the only difference being the 17's. The lower profile makes the limits much higher and makes the car less prone to understeer due to reduced tirewall flex etc... but it will also give you a great deal more confidence in the car.

The suspension can be too hard at times, particularly over bad roads and the fact the cars lower reduces it's ability in certain conditions. Also the prodrive suspension takes a good 10,000 miles to settle down from my experience. I run this suspension on my car and it is excellent on track or when pushing very hard, it always remains composed and controlled no matter what you throw at it, however when you're not driving 100% it makes the car feel a little quirky at times as it's not so happy settling into corners when only loaded up lightly, there seems to be a lot of resistance so you really need to throw the car at a corner to get the best from it....obviously this sort of driving isn't your average daily routine (well it probably is for most )

HTH
Nito
Old 07 December 2000, 11:33 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with the wheels option - it makes a massive difference!

I drove a standard car and RB5 back-to-back and the difference was _huge_: they seemed like totally different cars - hence I bought the RB5.

Of course, if you can stretch to the PPP too...
Old 08 December 2000, 08:33 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I would (and did!) go for 17" wheels, if nothing else because they make the car look so much better - the standard MY00 wheels are awful IMO!!

I have 17" wheels, and have had the 'prodrive' geometry setting done (£80), and a strut brace fitted (£30). When the subaru technician frove my car, he was adamant that I must have had the suspension uprated as it gripped and handled so much better!
Old 08 December 2000, 08:56 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Gary were did you get the Prodrive geometer settings done as I can see you are from the North West. As for the original post I have 17" wheels and Prodrive springs and shocks and yes the ride can be harsh and the car can feel unsettled if you are not pushing on, go for the wheels.

Darren.
Old 08 December 2000, 10:20 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

on a slightly different note, what could you realistically expect in BHP increase on a standard UK MY99 with the prodrive PP ??
I would of done a search if it was still available.
phill
Old 08 December 2000, 01:59 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by phill chinn:
<B>on a slightly different note, what could you realistically expect in BHP increase on a standard UK MY99 with the prodrive PP ??
I would of done a search if it was still available.
phill [/quote]

BHP figures are only about 10-15%, torque increases by c20%. But the difference seems much larger on the road. A PPP car pulls so much stronger, and can keep up with an STi in a straight line

Drive one.

Darren - Gepmetry done at ABP (Jct 16 M6)
Old 08 December 2000, 02:22 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've got an MY99 with the Prodrive handling pack and standard 16" wheels.

Reduced body roll and less bog-down on acceleration & dive on braking, make for a better ride as far as I'm concerned. Yet it's still comfortable thanks to the higher tyre sidewalls...

If I could afford it, I'd still get 17" as well, mind you!

Old 09 December 2000, 01:22 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Bagpuss - I've got, or tried, most popular upgrades on my MY00 UK car. (It's a company car, too.)

First question. Do you indend to do track days? If yes, get the Full Monty brake upgrade from Prodrive (keeps your warranty intact, but needs 17in wheels) or get the AP 16in kit - cheaper (retains standard wheels) and absolutely excellent. You'll fade before your brakes do. This is what I've got, from Scoobymania. Then get some slicks - part used 16in are cheap and plentyful (£40 a corner) but 17in slicks you might have to buy new (Michelins £160 each).

If you don't intend going on track, then life is much cheaper but please get the brakes upgraded anyway. I'd go for Prodrive DS2000 pads and discs, but using the standard calipers. On the road, you're unlikely to need more. From your Subaru dealer.

Next up is the Prodrive Performance Pack. I found getting specific information about this upgrade quite hard to obtain from local dealers. Prodrive are either very modest or their marketing is crap. Whatever, phone IM, see who's got a PPP demonstrator car, and drive it back to back with a standard model. I guarantee you'll be blown away. The performance difference is STAGGERING, and the noise over 3000 rpm fabulous. Please believe me. Run it on SUL with Millers Octane Plus and P1s/Evos won't give you any trouble. I can't praise this performance upgrade enough; worth every penny and keeps your warranty 100% intact.

Prodrive suspension. Desirable, but the standard kit on MY99/00 models isn't at all bad. I've got the Prodrive struts and springs but I'm not sure they're worth the cost. Before you jump, take your car to Power Station and have them set up the geometry properly, dialling out the bump steer and setting everything up as it should have been before it left the factory. Only £120. If you're still not happy, Prodrive is probably the best place to start with. Don't get talked into anti-lift kits or uprated rolls bars until you're really sure that you know what they're doing and that you need them.

Quickshift? Complete waste of money. Likewise for a stut-brace.

Finally, the best handling performance up-grade you can possibly make is tyres. You can spend thousands on tweaking the suspension/geometry but it means nothing if your tyres are sh1te. I've tried a lot of good rubber and am still amazed by the wet grip of my Bridgestone SO-2 PPs. Forget bigger wheels, lower profiles and fancy geometry settings - just fit a set of these tyres. Fantastic.

Summary: upgrade brakes according to need, then get the SO2 PPs, top it off with Prodrive's PPP. Subaru heaven.

Hoppy