Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STi 2006/7 PPP (320 PS) Anyone got one?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2007, 05:07 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi 2006/7 PPP (320 PS) Anyone got one?

Hi

Anyone on here got a 2006/7 STi PPP with 320 PS?

Out of interest, what was added/changed from the standard STi?

Any help would be nice, thinking of acquiring one and it would be great to get some feedback on your experiences, and wether you think it was worth it!

Thnks!

Last edited by Janspeed; 09 August 2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: nada!
Old 09 August 2007, 06:09 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Oh and were you satisfied with the work done?

Old 09 August 2007, 09:17 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Had it fitted from new so no comparisons.

I believe the changes are ECU, fuel pump and rear silencer.

I do experience problems driving it smoothly but not sure if it relates to PPP or not. There are two problems:

Sometimes when lifting off gently, I find it keeps accelerating when I wouldn't expect it to – I put this down to just catching the turbo as it is spooling up so, as I am lifting off the throttle, the turbo is providing more power.

Second problem seems to be just that I am being bounced around a lot (probably the RE070s) and find it difficult to keep a steady foot on the loud pedal.

Both problems could be due to the power curve of the ECU or the drive by wire throttle or a combination of both.

Don’t tend to notice these things unless I have someone in the car and I am trying to keep it smooth.

Basically, loads of power but definitely a different delivery compared to my Classic WRX which had similar performance so it’s not as if I am not used to that sort of power.

No complaints about the work.

Last edited by GeeDee; 15 August 2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09 August 2007, 09:37 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gdavey

I do experience problems driving it smoothly but not sure if it relates to PPP or not. There are two problems:

Sometimes when lifting off gently, I find it keeps accelerating when I wouldn't expect it to – I put this down to just catching the turbo as it is spooling up so as I am lifting off the throttle the turbo is providing more power.

Second problem seems to be just that I am being bounced around a lot (probably the RE070s) and find it difficult to keep a steady foot on the loud pedal.

Both problems could be due to the power curve of the ECU or the drive by wire throttle or a combination of both.

Don’t tend to notice these things unless I have someone in the car and I am trying to keep it smooth.

Basically, loads of power but definitely a different delivery compared to my Classic WRX which had similar performance so it’s not as if I am not used to that sort of power.

Overall sounds good, but do you LOVE it?
Old 10 August 2007, 10:10 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the PPP fitted to my car after delivery. Very quick now, almost have to have it pointed straight before applying full power as the power shifts around in the drivetrain so much.
I then opted for the Prodrive springs and 18" PFF7 tyre and wheel package to sort the ride which i found unacceptable on the back roads where i live. The bumps in the road meant you were steering all over the place as you could not hold the wheel steady enough with the quicker rack. The springs and wheels have pretty much sorted this problem out and my wife an now just about drink a cup of coffee in the car which was impossible before.
Finally added a quickshift on the gearbox for aded gratification with the six speeds. Overall very happy although the suspension could be further improved. Prodrive are now bringing out a RB320 suspension package which i might try, alternativeley may go the AST route eventually. I must add that the standard springs and RE070 tyres were perfect for the motorway and track work, and on extreme cornering the car had controllable oversteer tendencies which was nice to have. With the PPP you tend to use less power as there is so much and it would be easier to make a high power mistake on a twisty back road.
Old 10 August 2007, 02:44 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
I had the PPP fitted to my car after delivery. Very quick now, almost have to have it pointed straight before applying full power as the power shifts around in the drivetrain so much.
I then opted for the Prodrive springs and 18" PFF7 tyre and wheel package to sort the ride which i found unacceptable on the back roads where i live. The bumps in the road meant you were steering all over the place as you could not hold the wheel steady enough with the quicker rack. The springs and wheels have pretty much sorted this problem out and my wife an now just about drink a cup of coffee in the car which was impossible before.
Finally added a quickshift on the gearbox for aded gratification with the six speeds. Overall very happy although the suspension could be further improved. Prodrive are now bringing out a RB320 suspension package which i might try, alternativeley may go the AST route eventually. I must add that the standard springs and RE070 tyres were perfect for the motorway and track work, and on extreme cornering the car had controllable oversteer tendencies which was nice to have. With the PPP you tend to use less power as there is so much and it would be easier to make a high power mistake on a twisty back road.
So the 18" rims sorted the ride problems?
Old 10 August 2007, 03:06 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thats what I found when I switched the stock springs and 17" RE070's to Tein Springs and 18" Eagle F1XL tyres... ride was much improved.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 10 August 2007, 03:40 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Janspeed, I would say that singly the Prodrive springs will sort the ride problem. The 18" wheels and tyres are probably not necessary but do make the ride a little more compliant again. The 18 wheel/tyre package are not as rigid as the RE070 package and have more give - i.e. tyre flex but make the car more suitable for fast road. Also with the 18s i am running 235/40s which are wider than the RE070s.
Grants experience echos mine. and we go some!
Old 10 August 2007, 04:04 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Janspeed, I would say that singly the Prodrive springs will sort the ride problem. The 18" wheels and tyres are probably not necessary but do make the ride a little more compliant again. The 18 wheel/tyre package are not as rigid as the RE070 package and have more give - i.e. tyre flex but make the car more suitable for fast road. Also with the 18s i am running 235/40s which are wider than the RE070s.
Excellent! The vendor had mentioned something briefly the 18" rims.

Old 11 August 2007, 10:16 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Any particular version of Prodrive springs, or is there only one kind?
Old 12 August 2007, 02:20 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gdavey

Sometimes when lifting off gently, I find it keeps accelerating when I wouldn't expect it to – I put this down to just catching the turbo as it is spooling up so as I am lifting off the throttle the turbo is providing more power.

Any pictures?

From any of you lucky owners?
Old 13 August 2007, 03:31 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

There are two kits now, 1) prodrive springs 2) RB320 Springs & Dampers. I havent tried the latter.

Last edited by Beastie; 13 August 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 13 August 2007, 09:20 PM
Leebo77
Scooby Regular

RB320 suspension is well sorted.

Overall I'm hugely impressed.
Old 14 August 2007, 06:38 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

There are two kits now, 1) prodrive springs 2) RB320 Springs & Dampers. I havent tried the latter.
Damn the car rox!

Is that front lip standard, or an add on?

Ta
Old 14 August 2007, 06:46 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Looking good there Beastie!!

Its looking like I'm about to get exactly the same motor, can't wait!!

G
Old 14 August 2007, 07:21 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

The front lip is the scott lowe splitter colour coded. This is the third attempt as the first got damaged by a stone from a lorry, the second by a deep pothole and now we are on number 3 hopefully more lucky this time

The gloopy stuff at the side of the bumper is some defendall which has now been replaced.

Last edited by Beastie; 14 August 2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 14 August 2007, 08:10 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

How much was the scott lowe splitter painted and fitted if you don't mind me asking, looks pretty tidy. I'd either opt for that or a carbon fibre number.

G
Old 14 August 2007, 09:33 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Smile

well you can get the HT autos one in the group buy for £100 and i paid £75 for repair and painting so i guess painting only would be about £50.
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...group-buy.html
The Scott Lowe costs £150 TRU V-lip spoiler (MY06- fitment) with an extra £82 for painting but it cracks easily being fibre glass.
Old 15 August 2007, 04:06 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

The front lip is the scott lowe splitter colour coded. This is the third attempt as the first got damaged by a stone from a lorry, the second by a deep pothole and now we are on number 3 hopefully more lucky this time

The gloopy stuff at the side of the bumper is some defendall which has now been replaced.
Looks good!
Old 15 August 2007, 10:07 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Thanks.
Old 15 August 2007, 10:38 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Thanks.