Sponsored by:

Radar detectors: which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 01:44 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Search is down, so I thought I'd ask: which radar detector or detectors are any good? Do those Snooper devices work OK?

I'm looking for something to give decent warning of GATSO, mini GATSO, mobile traps and SPEC type. Obviously can't do anything about laser etc ....

Any experiences welcome.

Old 03 January 2002, 01:49 PM
GAZZ SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have a look at the Blue I it works on GPS
Also the geodesy
http://www.networxautomotive.com/bluei.html

or discussion about Geodesy
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=62245

Hope this helps

Gazza
Old 03 January 2002, 02:28 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Brickboy,
Origin BlueI and Geodessy (spelling) will detect the fixed type cameras as long as its in the database (GPS device).

For mobile cameras you would need a radar detector which also detects laser as well. I believe the Bell ones come recommended on this board but can't remember the model. I have/did use, a Snooper 815, drives me mad, all that beeping......

As for laser, you could get one of those jammers which tell you when it has detected a laser signal and automatically jams it so "they" can't get a speed reading.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

Link above for a bit more info.

H
Old 03 January 2002, 02:48 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I use a Bell 990i, which has been replaced with the Bell 550. They are the best you can get much better than Snooper models. Radar detectors can not detect SPECS system, only the GPS systems can do this. The GPS systems will not show any hand held devices such as laser or mini-gatso as they only have records of fixed sites. If a laser is fired at you you do not have a chance of detecting it before it hits you. Your only hope is that the radar detector picks up a laser when fired at another veichle giving you chance to slow down. I find that I am much more aware of my speed now I have a detector, probably due to the fact that I know laser can still get me.
Old 03 January 2002, 02:51 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

I bought a Bel Euro 550 after my, erm, speeding incident... I love it to bits, best £400 I've spent imho... go get one!
Old 03 January 2002, 03:29 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cool

HHxx is 100% correct.

For full protection you need,
1. Geodesy/Origin Blue, for fixed cameras. Radar detectors pick them up too.
2. Radar detector for mini or mobile gatsos which work on Ku band. (Bel Euro 550 available from Networx Automotive for 320GBP inc VAT and delivery, on mention of the Scoobynet group buy which I believe is still on. Tel 01555666444) Best detector for the money IMHO and I have one .
3. Laser Jammer, to stop the police from getting a reading of your speed when they use laser traps.

With all these you should be right

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Edited to say that radar detectors also pick up fixed cameras.

[Edited by WREXY - 03/01/2002 15:33:10]
Old 03 January 2002, 03:42 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

yeh, get all of them

but...

use a laser jammer at your peril, you can be done for perverting the cause of justice if caught and that is serious stuff!

M
Old 03 January 2002, 03:48 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Brickboy
I'm selling a Detector e-mail me and i will give you the details.

Zippy
Old 03 January 2002, 04:57 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for replies so far -- good stuff!
Old 03 January 2002, 05:32 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Matt

When using a laser jammer, then technically I think you can potentially done for 'obstructing an officer in the course of his duty' as opposed to perverting the course of justice which is a damn sight more serious

However, they still have to prove that you were using at the time which is extremly hard to do.....

Chris
Old 03 January 2002, 05:45 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

The best detector on the market is the Valentine 1. It is unfortunately very dear at around £600 and has the disadvantage of being designed for LHD cars hence the display points away from you slightly.
In reality it is not a problem but if your that bothered for about £30 extra you can get a remote unit that places the display anywhere you want in the car.
It monitors all frequencies including K,Ku,Ka and X bands as well as laser. You can however switch off the redundant frequencies if you wish (I have).
It's the only one on the market that I know of that has a counter and direction indicator to tell you how many sources of which band are targeting your car and which direction they are coming from.
It also has a detector at the front and rear of the unit.
Of course for Specs and Truvelo you wold still need a GPS detector (Morpheous/BlueI) but then they won't get mobile Gatso's.
For all round protection you need GPS for Specs, Radar detector for Gatso's, Laser jammer for speed guns and a grenade launcher for Vascar. I haven't got the grenade launcher yet .
Best of luck!

Neil.
Old 03 January 2002, 05:50 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I have a Bel Euro 550, which I got BEFORE my speeding conviction
Its good, and has saved me loadsa times, but it is so annoying sometimes!! Thats how I got busted, I turned it off going past some shops, and whamo, motherfudgers got me!!

So be aware, they are very good, but can be well annoying.

You can certainly speed more, and now Ive had a speeding conviction, I go out of my way to speed as much as possible, sort of get my moneys worth for the fine