Sponsored by:

What would a remap of my MY05 STi PPP achieve

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2007, 12:24 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would a remap of my MY05 STi PPP achieve

Simple question really as above. What can I expect from a remap only or is this not possible. I have read that people believe the PPP is a safe remap suggesting a lot more can be achieved from it but I don't know what is involved
As this car is likely to be the most powerful car I will ever own, even if I buy a porsche next year, I thought I might go all out and push it up towards the 330 - 350 bhp mark
I assume that this will invalidate the cars warranty also

Anyway some good advice and suggestions would be welcome. Budget is not really an issue but I am not out to spend thousands on the car, few hundred quid max

So what's possible people?
Old 01 August 2007, 12:29 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

uprate the spark plugs and mayby a green air filter then get yourself booked in with bob rawle.you will be driving home with not only a big grin but 330-340 bhp
Old 01 August 2007, 12:33 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Think it might cost a bit more than a few hundred quid.

What exhaust bits does the PPP Dti have BTW ?
Old 01 August 2007, 12:47 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

It has the standard PPP fitment exhaust I think
How much are we looking at then, I know the remap will be a few hundred so how much is a set of plugs and air filter going to be?
Old 01 August 2007, 12:51 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

around 80 odd quid for the few bits but unless you can get a deal for the remap your talking around 600 quid.
Old 01 August 2007, 12:54 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Something in line with this.

If its PPP then you already have the sports cat DP and decat rear.

Sub £500 will get you plugs and a remap from Mocom Racing where I am off to tomorrow

https://www.scoobynet.com/scooby.php?profileid=5
Old 01 August 2007, 02:04 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Something in line with this.

If its PPP then you already have the sports cat DP and decat rear.

Sub £500 will get you plugs and a remap from Mocom Racing where I am off to tomorrow

https://www.scoobynet.com/scooby.php?profileid=5
Good luck with the bank balance Stu

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2007, 02:15 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Mine should be exactly the same Spec as yourself (same year too) All in one go I changed the Centre section to a 3" Decat and got a Remap as got 340/312 just like that. Didn't have to change anything else but did check up on that I had the Prodrive fuel pump to coupe, which yours should have one going by the year but do check!

Alexppp
Old 01 August 2007, 02:20 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alexppp
Mine should be exactly the same Spec as yourself (same year too) All in one go I changed the Centre section to a 3" Decat and got a Remap as got 340/312 just like that. Didn't have to change anything else but did check up on that I had the Prodrive fuel pump to coupe, which yours should have one going by the year but do check!

Alexppp
Alex if you don't mind me asking what did that set you back? Just a centre section and remap right? 340bhp you must have been pleased with that
Does the car respond better now as in not as abrupt as the PPP remap?
Old 01 August 2007, 02:29 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate, I didn't get it that long ago but I think it was about £680 that was everything. The centre section was about £110 but they sourced it for me as I couldn't be bothered. Power Engineering in Uxbridge did the job and am told it's the place where Prodrive do a lot of their testing. TBH it drives the same until boost and thats where I knew my money had gone and O'boy was it worth it. I would say it's more punchy now but in agood way. Better MPG too

I've been speaking with one of the Guys on here (Gaz) and I've jus started to put in some NF Fuel which should see me another 4-5Bhp (I think) so very happy, just waiting to book in for my Type 25 Suspension

Hope that helps

Alexppp
Old 01 August 2007, 03:36 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, when you say better fuel consumption what are you getting now? I only get 20mpg regular as clockwork, was told they would do closer to 23mpg once through 10k but no change and covered 12.5k now
Old 01 August 2007, 03:50 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Nice one Alex. You got sorted in the end.

I've also found better MPG.

265bhp: 220 p/tank
330bhp: 240 light - light
392bhp: 275-280 light - light.

Lee, colder plugs: NGK7's will be about £50. Green or similar Filter about £40 and remap £400-600.

If you've got some more money to spend on power, then ported/gen2 headers for around £400 will increase spool and torque.

I would spend the above £1k, then lOOk at some whiteline bits & PD springs: ALK, ARB & a 4wGeom for about £600. Then some pads, hoses, fluid for around £400.

You'll have yourself about a 340/340 machine that is a blast to drive, goes, stops & corners. For around £2-2.5k.

Forgot, yours is black, so with the lighter paint & other black options you'll be about 350.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 01 August 2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Yours is black!!!
Old 01 August 2007, 03:58 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

No worries Pal,

Last time I worked it out, I think I was getting about 23mpg give or take 1mpg Sometimes it's hard to tell bit If I've gone through a ragging session then and then drive nicely for the rest of the tank then I will get 210-215 out of a tank but driven nicely for a whole tank would see about 225 I would say. Before I was struggling to fill her up near the 200 mark. TBH you are only saving a couple of £ here and there and I haven't noticed it only the extra power. You do however get used to it like most things after a while but still fun & Scary in the bends ?? I'm still learning how to drive the thing.

Alexppp
Old 01 August 2007, 04:22 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, Gaz that must be a very quick car you have there especially since it's black as well amazing how the fuel consumption has risen with the power gains, makes you wonder how much effort Subaru put in to maximising this in the first place eh!

Alex sounds like you're enjoying the new power there and watch those corners I'm not bothered about the fuel usage I just find it amazing that everyone gets improvements as they up the power I would expect less as a general rule.

Will have a think about these changes and keep the ideas coming if you have something more to add.
Didn't realise it was so cheap to gain these sort of power increases. Less than £1000 for 40bhp on a car that is already fecking quick...brilliant
Old 01 August 2007, 06:02 PM
G17 NAT
Scooby Regular

May i hijack this thread ??

I have a JDM STI 54 plate - would that need a fuel pump also ??
I've heard that sometimes the jap stuff comes with uprated bits ??
Sod's law that won't be one of them !!

Thanks and sorry for the Hijack

Last edited by G17 NAT; 01 August 2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: I'm a pleb.
Old 02 August 2007, 11:44 AM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

I'm not too sure about the a JDM as they have so many other bits different (better) bits. I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you a run down on what they should come with. Or if you can't wait I'll try and have a little search and see what I find.

Alexppp
Old 02 August 2007, 12:11 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Now I'm the Jacker of the thread! (sorry)

Gaz, any Idea one MPG increase I should get with the NF boster 3ml per L running at 340bhp. Or just wondering if it worth it? as its not mapped in. Just have trying to convince the other half why I should be buying it. Not that it matters what she says

Alex
Old 02 August 2007, 02:20 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G17 NAT

David at API is an expert on re-mapping JDM Sti's. Bought mine from him with c340/340 and that was just with filter and re-map. Drop him a line.
Old 02 August 2007, 02:49 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Interesting stuff here, I have the same a MY05 STI PPP and was considering a re-map also. I phoned up powerstation and I think they said £550 just for a re-map, cus it has to be registered on the system for the first time, and then subsequent re-maps would be alot cheaper..

So with the plugs and filter I reckon your looking at around £650-£700.

How much gains can you expect though realisticly without changing exhaust bits, assuming we all have the standard quoted 301bhp? Around 320-330bhp??
Old 02 August 2007, 05:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Now I'm the Jacker of the thread! (sorry)

Gaz, any Idea one MPG increase I should get with the NF boster 3ml per L running at 340bhp. Or just wondering if it worth it? as its not mapped in. Just have trying to convince the other half why I should be buying it. Not that it matters what she says

Alex
Don't think you get any increased MPG. The NF is a safety margin for the car, or cheap power & additional safety if mapped.

Just say that "you're putting it in to be safe. Because if the car goes pop after you've done the mods, you'll only blame me."
Old 02 August 2007, 05:08 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G17 NAT

Most the mappers suggest replacing the fuel pump prior to the map. It's only about £75 delivered. Better to be safe and all that.
Old 02 August 2007, 09:09 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jubhi
Interesting stuff here, I have the same a MY05 STI PPP and was considering a re-map also. I phoned up powerstation and I think they said £550 just for a re-map, cus it has to be registered on the system for the first time, and then subsequent re-maps would be alot cheaper..

How much gains can you expect though realisticly without changing exhaust bits, assuming we all have the standard quoted 301bhp? Around 320-330bhp??
good thread here https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...wle-remap.html bit of a mixed bag with figures, but yup you'll be looking at 320+ and a whole lot nicer car to drive
Old 02 August 2007, 10:54 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Bob Rawle suggested the following for my Spec C which I duly did

Decat exhaust (went to RCM)
Induction kit (went to RCM)
Uprated fuel pump (Walbro)
Uprated actuator (went to Turbo Dynamics)
3 port boost solenoid
Bob Rawle remap!

Bhp & torque should be way higher than standard; don't know for sure though as not had her on a rolling road.

TX.

Hi there,

I'm not too sure about the a JDM as they have so many other bits different (better) bits. I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you a run down on what they should come with. Or if you can't wait I'll try and have a little search and see what I find.

Alexppp
Old 03 August 2007, 12:28 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jubhi

with the prodrive exhaust and running 98/99 ron fuel a good uk spec car should remap too around 330 bhp or so,mine was mapped for 97 ron fuel and it was RR'ed at 319.if i had better fuel available local to me i would have used it.......anyway,i would'nt bother changing the prodrive exhaust unless your planning more mod's in future"turbo etc" as yes the prodrive system can be better'ed with a 3" turbo back system but it will flow well enough for these target figures.....just remember once mapped for 99 ron fuel the car will need it all the time,if its not available you just have to be happy with keeping it in low rev's and off boost.
also,its not just about the higher target figure's if done right the car will have a better power delivery and be a lot nicer to drive.not so on and off and will feel less breathless than the ppp'ed sti.
Old 03 August 2007, 11:55 AM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Don't think you get any increased MPG. The NF is a safety margin for the car, or cheap power & additional safety if mapped.

Just say that "you're putting it in to be safe. Because if the car goes pop after you've done the mods, you'll only blame me."
What is the additional "safety" once mapped using NF once mapped??

I will have to retrac my statement of better MPG and just say that it's a bit too Technical and she wouldn't understand. I'll throw in some words like 'Boost Controll' and 'Transmission loss %'. That'll keep her sweet

Alex
Old 03 August 2007, 12:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I will have to retrac my statement of better MPG and just say that it's a bit too Technical and she wouldn't understand. I'll throw in some words like 'Boost Controll' and 'Transmission loss %'. That'll keep her sweet

Alex
Just re-read my post, i think it should end at cheap power. Must've been a brain-fart.

Lucky you coming out with boost control. When i start making stories up i use words like "widgets" and made up words. At which point i'm busted. Never was a good liar...
Old 03 August 2007, 12:14 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Alex
you could use nf for safety from knock/det but i would'nt bother unless your planning a track day.stick to the fuel the cars been mapped with and you should have no problems.also if you use nf while getting your car remaped you have to keep using it.
the mapper will make the best map to suit the car and the fuel being used,yes there are safety margin's but the ecu won't have much leway to advance timing ect if you increase the fuel's ron hence no point adding nf.
Old 03 August 2007, 04:32 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bpm1588
with the prodrive exhaust and running 98/99 ron fuel a good uk spec car should remap too around 330 bhp or so,mine was mapped for 97 ron fuel and it was RR'ed at 319.if i had better fuel available local to me i would have used it.......anyway,i would'nt bother changing the prodrive exhaust unless your planning more mod's in future"turbo etc" as yes the prodrive system can be better'ed with a 3" turbo back system but it will flow well enough for these target figures.....just remember once mapped for 99 ron fuel the car will need it all the time,if its not available you just have to be happy with keeping it in low rev's and off boost.
also,its not just about the higher target figure's if done right the car will have a better power delivery and be a lot nicer to drive.not so on and off and will feel less breathless than the ppp'ed sti.
Thanks for this mate, I am seriously considering going for this as all I've heard is postive stuff. I better start saving some money .

Where abouts is Bob Rawle located then?
Old 03 August 2007, 07:26 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Where abouts is Bob Rawle located then?
In Swindon. Worth the drive IMO.
If you are up north, then Andy Forrest is also a good bet