Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Info on Clutch Judder

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2000, 12:00 AM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY00 - 8000 miles, I've had clutch judder since about 5k, only when the car is cold. What's worse is under load - ie. in long traffic jams, the clutch makes a whining/humming sound as drive is engaged, which only goes away if the car is not driven for several hours. This can also be accompanied by a burning smell :-(

Lancaster Pangbourne are putting a claim in for a replacement, but as the car came from Holland I'm not confident.

Following these threads with interest...
Old 06 December 2000, 12:08 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hollywood: who supplied the car? If Gertjan van der Velde, he has been known to kick Subaru NL's behind to get things approved...

I get light clutch judder occasionally when cold and, more strangely, when wet.

Any ideas if the wet is just coincidental?
Old 06 December 2000, 12:14 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

My MY98 is having a new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel at a total cost of £550 for parts alone, the clutch was due for replacing after 53k but had been juddering since 43k. The dealership told me that the problem was due to the flywheel and that there was also a modified pressure plate available for 235+VAT. Lets see what happens with the new clutch and if it goes wrong if they put the new pressure plate in which by the sounds of things is a P1 standard item.

Darren.
Old 06 December 2000, 12:26 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

MY00, was fine up until about 2 weeks ago (other than first gear being a sod in the cold) but since 4.5k things have been getting worse with lots of judderring around town until the car warms up. My clutch appears to have light and heavy days as well, yesterday being one of the latter. In for its 7.5k service on Saturday so will ask for that to be checked out.
Old 06 December 2000, 12:32 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Darren,

Is your clutch being replaced on warranty or out of your own pocket?

I had heard that IM wont entertain clutch replacements after a certain mileage.

Edit bit:

My MY98 has been juddering for ages. Maybe as much as a year. I took it to my supplying dealership (B&C) who said they would dismantle everything to inspect it, but if IM dont accept the claim, it would be at my cost. Knowing what both parties can be like for warranty claims, I declined and have 'put up with it' ever since, using the "Apply handbrake, slip clutch" technique when it gets too much to handle (usually damp mornings) This continues, even if warm. I recently asked an extremely helpful/friendly local dealer about applying again for a new clutch, only to be told that IM reject anything over a certain mileage.

Any comments?

[This message has been edited by DavidLewis (edited 06 December 2000).]
Old 06 December 2000, 12:36 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

chiark,

I have both clutch problems - The juddering unitl warmed up I will now definitely take up with my dealer.

This clutch peddal getting heavier thing - I've come to the conclusion this is a cylinder (master or slave - I dunno which) which is sticking. I've also had the opposite problem - pedal suddenly gone floppy, which would seem to confirm my theory

Problem may be due to muck in system or poor manufacturing tolerances.

But I cannot get my dealer to take an interest in the problem, because it is only intermittant and of course they cannot replicate it.

I find that an instant cure (to the heavy pedal) is to push the pedal to the floor and then release it very quickly. This seems to clear things.

Let me know if you have any luck to this problem.

JD
Old 06 December 2000, 12:39 AM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

Chiark - it was indeed Mr v d Velde. I've been talking with Dazzler who had the same problem, and Gertjan got his claim through eventually.

I'm going to wait and see what Lancaster come back with and take it from there - I don't really want to shell out £900 before I have to.
Old 06 December 2000, 12:42 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Question

Chris L

Was your 'judder' just when cold or also when warm?

Also, did the amount of 'judder' vary from day-to-day?

Phil (MY00 with some 'judder' when cold)
Old 06 December 2000, 12:45 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dave the cost of the parts is coming out of my pocket and the labor is being covered due to the short motor being replaced for piston slap.

Darren.

[This message has been edited by Darren Thompson (edited 06 December 2000).]
Old 06 December 2000, 12:59 AM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Guys,

please see the thread in the Drivetrain section.

Thanks

Sonu
Old 06 December 2000, 01:26 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi,

Cheam also replaced my clutch under warranty a couple of weeks back. I'm not sure what they fitted, but it is FAB in comparison with the last one... low bite point, smooth take-up, and much better 'grip'.

Not an exageration to say that it has transformed the feel of the car.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 06 December 2000, 01:32 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Hmmm....interesting read that and thanks for the info Chris. BTW, what are you doing in a serious forum .

I Stancer....Mines an MY94 which has clutch judder, I think I'd be pi55ing in a tornado trying to get a recall on that. You never know though
Old 06 December 2000, 01:36 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gerg

I do cross to other forums sometimes

Chris
Old 06 December 2000, 01:55 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Is Judder just a UK car based thing or any Jap imports suffered the same fate

Simon
PS Gerg Swings both ways does our Chris
Old 06 December 2000, 08:44 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I have been told they are now fitting the WRX flywheel to correct the problem. I get mine next week.

Otis.
Old 06 December 2000, 09:02 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Er thanks Simon - careful this is a serious thread (for a change)

I don't know whether this is just a UK problem, but it does look at long last that we have a cure for the problem, rather than just temp solution of replacing the clutch and hoping that the problem goes away.

Chris
Old 06 December 2000, 09:07 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Red face

Interesting - I have a sub-standard P1, sorry, Version V STi and I get clutch judder from cold - so fitting of STI/WRX/P1 parts doesn't sound like a solution to me.

R
Old 06 December 2000, 09:09 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

they put the P1 clutch housng on mine about a month and a half ago...this was after fitting 2 clutches in 2 consequtive days!!

it does work and is far better than before

Old 06 December 2000, 09:19 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

My clutch judders a fair bit - usually when I'm creeping along in commuter traffic. I find I have to constantly compensate by blipping the throttle a couple of hundred revs to catch the biting point and stop the juddering. Is that the symptoms you're all on about?
Old 06 December 2000, 09:25 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

This could be something. I was driving in a traffic jam on the A43 on Monday after a blast down the M1.

My clutch pedal got progressively stiffer and stiffer, until I needed to push hard to operate it. Pressure is building up somewhere.

Question is, does anyone else experience this, and is there a simple fix like a pressure relief valve?
Old 06 December 2000, 09:52 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have a MY00 with 7200 miles on the clock and it occasionally suffers from slight clutch judder first thing in the morning.

Talking about stiff clutches sometimes mine is light and smooth and other times it requires more effort to push it down. When the clutch is stiffer gear changes are much harder to perform smoothly.

Strange but not bad enough to take it back to the dealer and complain. If it does ever need changing can I take it back to any dealer or do I have to take it to the dealer I bought the car from?? The only reason I ask is that I have lost all faith in the dealer I bought the car from and wouldn't let them check the tyre pressure let alone change the clutch
Old 06 December 2000, 12:00 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

OK - not strictly the right forum, but I guess it will get a wider audience here.

Took my car (MY00 UK) in for its 15K mile service today. I had reported clutch judder at 7500 and it wasn't getting any better. After a test drive, my dealer (Cheam Motors) have agreed and submitted a warranty claim to Subaru UK to change the clutch and fly wheel.

Cheam reckon that they have now identifed what is causing the clutch judder. It would appear to be to do with the clutch housing case and the amount of pressure sustained inside this (forgive me if the technical details aren't fully correct - this is 2nd hand info from the dealer and I'm trying to remember as much as possible).

What they and Subaru are now going to be recommending is that when the clutch is replaced in these circumstances, the clutch housing from the P1 should be used (this is of higher quality and can therefore withstand more pressure). My car is due to be the guinea pig for this in the next couple of weeks, so I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris
Old 06 December 2000, 12:03 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

BTW if you would like some more techincal details, the best person to speak to would be Andrew at Cheam Motors (020 8394 2262)

Cheers

Chris
Old 06 December 2000, 12:14 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

and one other thing..

Vote of thanks to Cheam Motors who did all the work today, got the car back to me by 5:30, sorted out the tracking and fixed a couple of other minor problems along with doing the £15K service for £191 (incl VAT, all materials, oil and SIDC discount).

Cheers guys

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 06 December 2000).]
Old 06 December 2000, 12:20 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If it works , It ought to be a reecall isue as all cars seem to suffer to some extent . Or am I Pi**ing in the wind ?

I'll get me hanky
Old 06 December 2000, 12:23 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Question

Who knows? This is all I've been told so far. I don't think it is any great secret, but I suspect that they will only change cars that have the problem rather than do a full recall.

Chris
Old 06 December 2000, 01:09 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Boys, I don't think this clutch judder is just a UK thing my car is german MY00 and I get slight judder if I have been driving slowely for while, does it get worse, is it worth reporting to my dealer?

Steve
Old 06 December 2000, 02:51 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Me too.

MY00 9,900 miles, 8 months old.

Been experiencing cold morning clutch judder (until car has warmed up) for a couple of months now.

Questions:
1. Does it get worse?
2. At what mileage do IM stop entertaining warranties?
3. What is it doing to my car? (ie - shortens life of clutch, vibration weakens other drivetrain components etc etc)

Ta

Rich
Old 06 December 2000, 02:57 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

answer as follows from 1 to 3:-
1:-yes
2:-60,000
3:-I do not know
sorry...My techie background on cars is not that good!!
Old 06 December 2000, 03:09 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

The warranty on the clutch is not 60000 miles or the flywheel as for stress on the car it will be the engine mounts the transmission in general and the clutch.

Darren.

Quick Reply: New Info on Clutch Judder