Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contracting in Switzerland: Scooby Insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2000, 02:51 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gone and got myself a nice little six month contract in Neuchatel. I've been offered a rental car but sadly I doubt it'll be as nice as my Scoob.

As far as I know, I could drive my own car over there for up to a year before being forced to re-register but what is the deal with insurance?

So far I have found out that I could get a Green Card for 3 months from my current insurer (Privilege) but technically this is only really valid if I come back home every 4 weeks or so. Beyond three months, they tell me I'd need to cancel and take out a new 'Swiss' policy. Sounds like a recipie for going straight to the bottom of the NCD ladder and I imagine that this might end up costing more that hiring a Fiat Multipla or whatever on a weekly basis!

Has anyone got any experience of this?

Any help much appreciated.

PS. I saw three new WRX's in Neuchatel/Sion at the weekend and they aint too bad.

[This message has been edited by Stephen Read (edited 06 December 2000).]
Old 06 December 2000, 04:03 PM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Norwich Union do a policy available thru brokers (not NU Direct) called (I think) Club Insurance.

This covers you year round in all EC countries and a few others - I can't remember if Switzerland is one of the others, but it could well be.

It might be a little more expensive than normal UK cover, but it could well work out cheaper than reinsuring abroad.

I use the same policy to cover my Subaru while it's in Ireland for extended periods.

Hope that helps
Alastair
Old 06 December 2000, 04:34 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

"I saw three new WRXs and they aint too bad"

This from a self-confessed Fiat Multipla driver??!!

(sorry had to be said)

Old 06 December 2000, 05:59 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Nice one Airmiles, but you can rest easy. I am not actually a Multipla driver (yet anyway) but I was in one for the first time at the weekend and it was quite a good laugh on the inside apart from being hilarious on the outside. I might just go for one if they do them in matt black with black-tinted glass, black wheels and a free pair of shades.

AlastairB, Thanks. I'll give a broker a call tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Stephen Read (edited 06 December 2000).]
Old 06 December 2000, 06:55 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Hi Stephen,

Your contract's not with Silicon Graphics is it ?

I worked for them in Neuchatel for 4 yrs. I lived in the town centre, conveniently opposite the Garbo nightclub and behind McDonalds (that is preferable to the town's Fondue!)

Great place.

Privilege covered me when I took my Daimler over there. Don't remember a clause for returning.. The car would be over there for 3-4 months at a time.

Do some more research.
Old 06 December 2000, 06:58 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Oh.. and don't forget things are expensive over there (so what may seem like a tidy contract rate, may not be !)

At least that's what I told them, and then promptly took 99% of my money back to Blighty.
Old 06 December 2000, 08:50 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Stephen,
Ask the National Farmers Union about their insurance cover.

This is what their policy says about driving abroad.

"Your NFU Mutual car insurance privides you with the same level of cover at home AND abroad, for unlimited temporary visits, to all the countries indicated below."

Switzerland is listed along with just about every other European country.

Might be worth a phone call.
Old 06 December 2000, 09:11 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

I think in most cases insurers restrict the number of consequtive days that they cover in Europe.

I know there are a couple of insurers that can provide an annual Green Card.

If you'd like to have a chat...give me a call on Friday (I'm away all Thursday )...and I'll do a little research for you.

What car do you drive? If it is a standard scoob I probably won't be able to sort the whole thing for you...but I'm sure I will be able to point you in the right direction. If it is an Sti, WRX, P1, RB5 etc I might have a bit more of a chance...

Give me a shout on Friday

Tom
Old 07 December 2000, 12:17 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

There's a fair few contractors at my company from the UK - several had policies which covered them for extended periods. However, one had to change insurers to get around the 3 month limitation they had.

As for it being expensive in Switzerland - hhmmmm, damned cheaper than London! After 5 years in Sydney I looked at going back to UK (London) or Switzerland. Analysis of salary/living costs showed standard-of-living is much better here (not such good shopping, clubbing or pubbing though)

Richard
Old 07 December 2000, 02:19 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys!

I tried a local broker who gave me a quote from Norwich Union. (I have not signed up yet though).

It started off at almost double my existing Privilege policy - albeit with only a £250 excess. The guy was aware that they appear competetive on our cars esp. for those with full NCDs.

With Norwich I would get 'unlimited' cover in Switzerland (without needing a green card as such) and pan-European breakdown cover providing that I return to the UK periodically. However, he believed that as this restriction this cannot effectively be verified/challenged it is almost meaningless in practice.

Given that I am effectively giving up my London address, he suggested that I use another 'valid' UK address such as my parental home in Scotland. This almost halved the policy! Naturally, it would be wise to notify DVLA of this change and make it 'official'.

PS. I'll be working for Quantum Peripherals (in Finance) and although Neuchatel is a relatively small/quiet place, you can rent a nice appartment with a view of the lake for under £500/month and SUL is only about 60p/litre!