things that need to be checked?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2000, 01:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Afternoon all,
I'd posted a thread on 22b about stuffing an STi engine in the black beast to give it a bit more oomph, and someone said that there is a whole list of things that should be checked on a car of my vintage (think it was quatro/branco) (MY94) before anything else. They've not posted this list of things to me, so I'm a bit in the dark. Anyone care to enlighten me.

I'm pretty sure we're talking cam belts and the like, but I want to make sure. Especially as I'm probably, nay, will be, going on track next year.

any takers?
Old 05 December 2000, 07:54 PM
S
Scooby Regular

Why not just chip your 94WRX in for an sti 5 dr. A lot less hassle, as there are a few nice 5dr sti's in topmarques at the moment for the £13/14k mark.

probably harder to sell a vehicle that doesn't have the correct engine for whatever reason.

thanks

S
Old 06 December 2000, 01:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

good point. would make a lot of sense.

I am planning on keeping the beast for a while yet, and don't really intend to sell it.

Plus there are the two other factors which are, lack of cash for the STi wagon, and the cost of insurance. It's bad enough trying to get insured on the WRX Wagon, don't even want to consider what the STi wagon would cost to ensure.
Old 06 December 2000, 05:56 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Cool

Markus,

Insuring a WRX is bad, Insuring an STI is bad, try speaking to the insurance company about insuring a WRX with an STI engine in it.

They will all be having Christmas holidays on you for the next few years.

Basicaly they frown upon mods, but they know what they are, if you say its got an STi engine they will want engineers reports etc etc and still load the premium, before you start to tune the STI engine, all that hassle for and extra 40 odd BHP, when you can link, ecu, chip and all maner of other odds & sods and get more than 280 BHP.

Personaly I would go the Brakes & breathing route i.e. get a decent sized exhaust not that pea shooter you are currently running [tounge in cheek] before anything else.

laters