Sponsored by:

Lower petrol prices

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2007, 12:46 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower petrol prices

Just received this email, anyone else got it yet? If it's SIAL, tough, I can't find the search facility!

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced
with paying £1 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain
day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place
not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't whimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have
been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..
THREE HUNDRED MILLIONPEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE
It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso
Old 12 July 2007, 12:51 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

AFAIK if the government reduced the tax on fuel we would see a better result, my partner works in a garage and there profit is less than a penny a lt in petrol.

Mac
Old 12 July 2007, 12:52 PM
daniel p smith
Scooby Regular

isn't shell bigger than both of these
Old 12 July 2007, 12:54 PM
daniel p smith
Scooby Regular

bluenose is right i deliver fuel for a living and very few garages actually make money on fuel they usually brake even on it they make money from the shops
Old 12 July 2007, 12:55 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Silly idea, so much is tax that its laughable to blame anyone but the gov't (whichever colour) for the price we pay, and don't forget that last time the price of crude went up (when Gordon threatened a windfall tax on the oil companies increased profits) the treasury raked in an EXTRA £2B in VAT on that increased price.

Simon
Old 12 July 2007, 12:58 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

But the OP probably works for Shell.

@bluenosewrx: If people weren't visiting the garages to buy petrol then they would also not be buying sweets, papers, BBQ sets, and the weeks shopping, that's what would hurt.

What we need is a list of the 299,999,999 other people so we can make sure we don't waste one of our e-mails on someone who has already received it

Old 12 July 2007, 01:23 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

This email is well old. Petrol garages themselves might not make a fortune but when you see that Shells profits were something like £17BILLION in one year you kinda understand just how much money they are making. They could half the price of fuel and still be pimp daddies. And they'd make a lot more customers too.
Old 12 July 2007, 01:27 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daniel p smith
bluenose is right i deliver fuel for a living and very few garages actually make money on fuel they usually brake even on it they make money from the shops
I dont think they are targeting the garage operator, it's the oil company they're after with this campaign. Esso and Shell do make huge profits, even more recently with the high price per barrel.

The problem is (as has already been pointed out) oil price changes have a relatively marginal impact in the UK on pump prices, because we pay so much tax. In countries where tax is low, oil price changes have a much bigger impact (in % terms) on petrol prices.

So all in all this is a fairly daft plan, for the UK anyway.
Old 12 July 2007, 01:52 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Hmm because all the places they want you to buy from instead have their own refinaries etc

These chain emails sent in the name of a good cause are as useless as the ones where Bill Gates or AOL will send you money if you send them on etc...

I think it's kind of sweet that people still believe in them and send them on... The originators sole objective of a chain email that does the rounds and comes back to him a few weeks later is achieved
Old 12 July 2007, 01:58 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Welcome to teh internets (c) 1998
Old 12 July 2007, 02:02 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol!
Old 12 July 2007, 02:14 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Paul3446;7103380]We are hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced
with paying £1 a ltr.
QUOTE]

Where I am normal unleaded is already 102.9. Has been for some time.
Old 12 July 2007, 02:20 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

[QUOTE=bish667;7103674]
Originally Posted by Paul3446
We are hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced
with paying £1 a ltr.
QUOTE]

Where I am normal unleaded is already 102.9. Has been for some time.
I paid that much in Wester Ross back in Feb for unbranded local post office petrol Lovely view while filling up though looking over to Priest Island
Old 12 July 2007, 05:16 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Blimey,

I got eye strain reading the replies after the very LARGE writing of the original post.
Old 12 July 2007, 05:56 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Please note all I did was cut and paste the email I received, they are not my quotes.

I paid 88.9 at Tesco yesterday, with a 5p off voucher!
Old 12 July 2007, 06:02 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

This needs to be political to work, get the Government you deserve !

Vote out a high taxation party, but who's going to lose the revenue ?

Grumpy Dunx
Old 12 July 2007, 06:28 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

petrol price is not the problem, its the tax on fuel , currently 75p in every pound taken.
in oman its 20p a litre because the govt has not put a tax on the fuel

Last edited by greenonedave; 12 July 2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12 July 2007, 08:31 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
This email is well old. Petrol garages themselves might not make a fortune but when you see that Shells profits were something like £17BILLION in one year you kinda understand just how much money they are making. They could half the price of fuel and still be pimp daddies. And they'd make a lot more customers too.
Agree with you in pricipal here,though i doubt the government would be to happy with that as there tax revenue would also half, sad but true.

Mac
Old 12 July 2007, 08:39 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Agree with you in pricipal here,though i doubt the government would be to happy with that as there tax revenue would also half, sad but true.

Mac