ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

8 days of ownership & then problem

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2001, 02:29 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Appreciate any help as to where I stand with a dealer.

Purchased a scooby (STi) but after 8 days it stalled & now wont start again. According to Power Engineering the engine dont sound very good & sounds like a conrod or similar has gone. Telephoned the dealer & they are not open now until after new year but have said that the warranty should sort it out.

If the dealer starts getting funny (like saying he does not want to fix it due to cost of fixing) does anyone know if I could do anything ? Am I covered by any legal things that would warrant the dealer to fix the problem as I have only had the car for 8 days ?

Hopefully the dealer will sort out the problem but would like to know if anyone else has been in this position before.

Thanks.
Andy.

Old 31 December 2001, 03:43 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy, i assume you are talking about a new car?. if you get any problems all you have to do is say that "it is not of merchantable quality" under "The Sale of Goods Act" as ammended by "The Consumer Protection Act" contact the local (to the dealer) Trading Standards Office, return the car and ask for your money back in full. Trading standards should and almost certainly will do the rest. I doubt very much if it will come to that though, as any reputable dealer will sort it out.
Old 31 December 2001, 04:25 PM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs up

Yep get onto Trading Stanrdards about it
Old 31 December 2001, 04:49 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Not sure if the new law is in yet. It might be tomorrow. When my UK300 had paint problems within the same timeframe I looked into rejecting the car. Talked to Trading Standards. There is a ruling against us motorists. You have to give the dealer a chance to fix the problem first. Trading Standards whilst totally agreeing with my point said this sort of problem should be fixed with the lemon law coming in in 2002.

Jonathan
Old 31 December 2001, 04:54 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

a lot of solicitors will give a free or cheap half hour chat,I done this after probs with a car i had(not a scoob)

i had already spoke to the manager once,i left feeling he hadnt taken me serious,went back armed with info from the solicitor and it was a whole different ball game,well worth a tenner and a half hour!

steve
Old 31 December 2001, 05:03 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the replies peeps. Forearmed etc.

Have a Happy New Year
Old 31 December 2001, 05:40 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Trading Standards will only advise you of your rights and the best course of action. they will not usually intervene on your behalf unless the dealer has committed an offence, ie misdescribed the car for example. My advice would be to talk to the dealer on Wednesday morning and give them a chance to sort it out, you might be pleasantly surprised

Les
Old 31 December 2001, 06:05 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

I bought an ex-demo P1 which i had for a few months and snapped a con-rod at about 110mph the dealer told me that the thing was covered, as it needed nearly a complete engine i said i did not what the car back full stop, the dealer spoke to s-uk and they gave me a very good deal on a brand new one.
J