ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

UK STI Beats M3 - I hate EVO Mag !!

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2001, 08:42 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

One of the best Christmas presents hit the mat about 15 minutes ago - EVO Mag.

Dont want to totally spoil the article for people reading it, but the topic says it all. Just as I was questioning my love of the M3, this hits the mat.

"If an M3 can question your need to buy a 911, then this questions your need to buy an M3"

Last night I sent an email to a board member questioning the M3, and its length of time on my driveway. I renewed my SIDC membership less than 12 hours ago as well. Is someone saying something to me ?

Jonathan

Yes Spudgun looks like the games have commenced

[Edited by Chins - 12/31/2001 8:43:39 AM]
Old 31 December 2001, 09:07 AM
RogerE
Scooby Regular

Wink

But the real question is: have you placed an order for the STI 7 yet?

RogerE
Old 31 December 2001, 12:08 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Knowing Jonathan he placed an order on the very first rumour. Mind you I think he has a permanent deposit left at Adamas just in case... don't you Jonathan? Or do they just ring u and give u first refusal. Got to be their best customer.
Old 31 December 2001, 12:41 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Fu*k I get my evo only on the 15th (it takes time to get to Israel)
maybe you can just write down what they said about the STI?
Old 31 December 2001, 12:59 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Talking

ROFLMAO

err...what d'ya plan to do with the m3?
what spec, colour etc is it?
hang on a sec....youve hardly had it a month or so this is exactly what i was saying about spending a fortune on a posh car and then not keeping it
mind u matey, you wont lose much on it.

how much u selling it for?
Old 31 December 2001, 01:00 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Chins you are a journo`s best buddy without a doubt.
Listen mate if it says so it must be ok.
Like I said before you bought the wrong colour with the wrong gearbox thats all
Go back to Subaru mate I think you`ll be happy there for another month or so when you can buy say a TVR or something.
PS how did it actually BEAT IT??????
Cos it was lighter,cheaper,not so bright?????

Magazine that I read says the Evo7 is a better car than STI7
**** which one should I buy
Old 31 December 2001, 01:31 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Arron

I'd have to agree I am a journalists best buddy . Thing is the only one I really listen to is EVO. Some of that respect comes from being involved in the STI vs EVO article a couple of years back.

Your right on the SMG front I should of listened to you. Still like the colour though. EVO dont really dislike the M3 at all. They conclude that its too polished, and that it misses that 10% of something that makes you really enjoy it. Their only real negative is "too big and bulky to excel when the going gets bumpy-twisty" something I agree with.

Elondan

As you cant get the article heres some other info. Maybe someone with a scanner can help. UK STI is pitched against M3 SMG, 911 Carrera, Works Mini Cooper, Civic Type R, Turbo Technics Lotus Elise.

The one car that really didnt do well was the Civic Type R. Seems a little flawed according to them. Mention a lot of Scooby owners buying them.

The scores at the end were

Civic 4 stars
Mini 4 stars
911 4 1/2 stars
M3 4 1/2 stars
Elise 5 stars
STI 5 stars

A few quotes to keep you going untill the 15th

"The Impreza's awesome pace and all weather ability make it one of the fastest cars money can buy"

"The king is not dead. Just when we began to worry that they'd lost the plot, Subarus engineers come up with the seriously fast, seriously fun STI Type UK"

"The STI is so fast on such a wide range of roads, you cant help thinking it shouldnt be allowed"

"Its not as manic as an EVO VII, and its all the better for it"

Roger, Stuart and Spudgun

No order placed for the STI yet. First special in two years Ive not ordered. Thought I was going to get away with owning this one, but not so sure now. Have to be one of Adams best customers though. Not even talked to anyone about getting shot of the M3 yet, but as its SMG, 19" wheels, HK it should find a customer somewhere. An RS4 is still not out of the question though.

Its just nice to see the Scooby back with 5 stars, should beat the EVO VII on the road as well as on the WRC circuit. Looks like the price of the STI has caught Mitsubishi on the back foot. Adams still have no details on the EVO VII - launch date or price.

Jonathan
Old 31 December 2001, 01:33 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

The M3 is a fantastic car and should not in any way be compared to a Scoob. You don't see optional driving gloves and cardigan's in the IM brochure.
Old 31 December 2001, 01:38 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Thank you Jonathan,
Did they say anything about the differences between the UK TYPE (5 stars) and the Japanese which got only 4.5 stars when compared to the Evo VII a while back?
Old 31 December 2001, 04:08 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Hold on a minute, it's only a couple of months ago that EVO where slagging off the STi, saying it was to uncompromising for british roads. They rated it third behind the P1 and RB5 with the UK300 bringing up the rear. As far as I am aware nothing has been done to the suspension or gearbox for the UK model.

So sticking a bigger spoiler and reducing the power has suddenly made it into a better car.

Paul
Old 31 December 2001, 04:36 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Old 31 December 2001, 06:24 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chins i own an Evo7 and i have also driven the Sti7 ( jap spec ) and it is the same old story that has gone before, yes they are both fantasic cars but the sti is very easy to drive fast and thats it, very little feedback from pedal or steering 4000+ before anything happens from under the bonnet, yes it is a quick and comfortable car but understeer is also still apparent, the evo is all-round cleaner-cut much much more feedback and more responsive and holds a much better line, if you want the ultimate then its the Evo if you ain`t so confident in your ability then its the Sti as it is less "Manic/Guilt-edged"""" and goes a little futher on a full tank! lol,,, if you want range then you should not be on this board.
Can of Worms i know!!!!!
J
Old 31 December 2001, 06:56 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Question

jasonb
now youve owned the evo7 for a while, do you still like it?
yours is a grey import? do you get it serviced by mitsubishi?
done any mods?
would like to hear your views on the car, now youve had it a while(compared to me and chins anyway )
Old 31 December 2001, 07:13 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

hmmm - something tells me IM are giving away some tasty trinkets to journalists this christmas ;-)
maybe it was a particularly nice rally jacket or free trip to somewhere warm?
If you did the C4 driven (sh*te TV program btw) thing of asking prospective owners to stand next to the car they would like most I don't think many would stand in front of the STI in preference to the M3 !
Paul W

Old 31 December 2001, 07:29 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

This is getting like a stuck record(remember them)

IF the UKSTI was 30 grand then it could be compared to an M3(32-33 grand on import). When the comparison articles were written, that's what everyone thought the price point would be.

The M3 is an incredible car. It beats the scoob on looks, percivied build quality, the interior, ride quality, depreciation and image. At a 3K price difference the M3 Vs STI is a no brainer, M3 everytime.

However, the UK Sti is 25 grand. that's 8 grand LESS than an M3. The cars in it's price point are S3, VW Golf 4 motion, Jag X type, BMW 330d, specced up ford mondeo, and the odd Audi and Rover.

What wins it NOW for the STI is that you get a car that will match an M3 on performance, handling and fun to drivablility, a car which costs 22% LESS. The EVO 7, fantastic car as it is, is STILL 4-5 Grand MORE.

Is the Evo 7 worth 4-5 grand more, on the face of it, no.
Is the M3 worth 8 grand more(14 grand if uk sourced), on the face of it no it's not. That's why I think(not seen the article) EVO gave it the extra 1/2 star. For sheer value for money the UK STI is onto a winner.

Subaru have IMHO pulled a blinder by pricing the STI where it is. Being picky I would have priced the WRX at 17 grand(Where it'd clean up against the hot hatches) and the STI at 23 grand.
Old 31 December 2001, 07:38 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Question

what happens to the uk sti in a years time when the facelifted model is brought in?
apparently just about every panel will be changed, so (hopefully) it will look a lot better.
so if the uk sti costs 25k now, just how much will it be worth when a far better looking version is released just a year later? what will THAT do to residuals?
would it be better to wait a year and see how the new sti gets on, and see what improvement prodrive will offer to the stying of the bug eye?
i for one dont want to get my fingers burnt anymore. for example, who here wants a uk300 anymore? 25k or more, and have they sold 'em all?
i'm trying to be cautious from now on, its just too expensive getting it wrong
Old 31 December 2001, 07:42 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

GTR I agree with you Re: The facelift. I'm waiting for the facelifted model. HOWEVER, who's to say they won't bring out a facelifted STI until a year or so later
2003 is'nt it due out?? That's not a lot of time if it's going to be the MY03. I reckon Oct 2003 will be the first batch of the new facelifted models.
Old 31 December 2001, 09:03 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

I'm with Paul:

"Hold on a minute, it's only a couple of months ago that EVO where slagging off the STi, saying it was to uncompromising for british roads. They rated it third behind the P1 and RB5 with the UK300 bringing up the rear. As far as I am aware nothing has been done to the suspension or gearbox for the UK model."

Can anyone find out if the UK sti has had its chassis changed in some way????? Whats the deal here?
Old 31 December 2001, 09:13 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Question

if theres a new model in say, under 18 months, would it be better to let P1 prices fall a bit more, get a used P1, keep it fairly standard for 18 months, then if yer want a uk sti, get the better looking on in 2003?
ooh, my minds working overtime now.
b0ll0x, looks like my resolution about not blowing money on bl00dy motors is out the bleedin window before 2002 even starts!
Old 01 January 2002, 09:54 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great post Neil.
Old 01 January 2002, 10:04 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Cheers Arron
Old 01 January 2002, 10:46 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Some interesting points raised.

Paulmon/Jeremy

The STI still got 4 1/2 stars in the last EVO mag review.

"The area most in need of attention is the engine"

We know the car had to be remapped for Europe, and maybe some of the low down torque has been addressed ? With regards to the suspension. I'd guess that if I was handing a press car to EVO I'd make it spot on. The new shape is apparently needs its geometry to be spot on - even more so than the old shape. The STI tested, might of had some suspension tweaks as well - Prodrive springs ?

PWebb

Well the test was just dont before Crimbo. I too would love to see what was left in their rooms at the launch hotel.

Neil

Have to agree in large with your post. Few point though

Even people importing M3 are only saving a 3-4 grand, and thats with options. You also need to take into account that the wait is a year as well !!.

I still feel even with the difference in price, you can compare the two cars. There are buyers out there looking for a real drivers car, that will look at both. I'm sat here with an M3 looking at the STI Cost wise the major factor in any car purchase is the depreciation. The M3 does cost 15k more, but ultimatley will lose about the same as the STI. So the difference is just the extra interest you pay on the money borrowed.

Spudgun

I'd agree that if a facelift is around the corner, then residuals will be affected. But which way ?. How do you know if the new car will look better ? When will we see it ? Have we seen any official word on this yet, or is it just an Autocar article - they have written some crap before.

As for me, I'm no closer to making my mind up. I always felt my UK300 was a bit like the new Mini, a great car waiting for more power. As an all round package it was a better day to day car than the P1 or anything before it. One of my main concerns with the new STI is on the power front. Is it really that much quicker than my old UK300 with PPP. I certainly feel that it will need a PPP.

Took the M3 for a blast yesterday, and it does take your breath away on full throttle. The sound, speed of the gearchanges and sheer pace. Part of me thinks I must be mad thinking about the new STI. I'd like to see Xenons/HID's, Half Leather, 18" wheels, PPP and a decent stereo on the STI. Trouble is thats an expensive car, with lots of potential to depreciate at a P1 rate.

Jonathan
Old 02 January 2002, 08:45 AM
RogerE
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jonathan

Why don't you admit it, you know you want one, even if it is for only for a few months.

Roger
Old 02 January 2002, 04:31 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Spudgun mine is a Ralliart car so its official with full 3yr unlimited milage etc, i get i serviced at a local Mits dealer.
I have taken off the cat and put on an HKS superflow filter which makes a good bit of difference and well worth it, i am going back to Ralliart to get the superdrager and the boost cranked to 1.3bar.
The car is just superb in every department !!!!!!!!!!
Do you own one if so what are your thoughts???
J
Old 02 January 2002, 06:21 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink