Old 07 July 2007, 07:17 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Short shifter/Quick shift

Seen this one, reduces by 60%

yet some others only say 30%

is there a difference ?

do they really make the shift nice and quick ?

easy enough to fit ?
Old 07 July 2007, 08:51 AM
s60r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,

i looked into this in detail. the shift you posted is literally just a shorter stem, i cant comment on what they are like as i opted fot the sti quickshift offered by subaru dealers. this is the whole mechanism inc the stabilising bar and linkage. yes its 250£ ish fitted but i have it and my neighbour doesnt and it is very noticeable in comparison. altho once fitted you wont appreciate the difference, if you revert back to a standard you think "this is too long".

i have a newage and i still appreciated the difference, if you have any previous model the change will be huge.

the shift above is diy and a 10 min job done from inside car. the other requires access from below the car aswell - may affect your choice?

good luck.
Old 07 July 2007, 09:27 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about the GFB quickshift from Revolution for my car. Is the standard Subaru one any better? £250 seems cheap for a main stealer and there is not much difference in cost with this.
Old 07 July 2007, 09:31 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
Seen this one, reduces by 60%

yet some others only say 30%

is there a difference ?

do they really make the shift nice and quick ?

easy enough to fit ?
i had a very cheapy ebay one on my old classic and that was great, easy to fit (plenty of fitting guides on here) and made a noticeable difference

this from what i gather is the daddy of quickshifts though and when i've got the pennies will be on the shopping list!rallynuts.com : GFB Short Shift Kit Subaru Impreza
Old 07 July 2007, 10:24 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, i couldnt part with £250 for the job,im not too bothered by it but just thought about it, the cheapy ebay one i suppose is a step closer and maybe it wil make me one day upgrade to the £250 ones

cheers all............
Old 07 July 2007, 10:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If it's on a classic, you can get it to feel a whole lot better by removing the old gearknob, then fitting a Momo round one, as low down as poss.

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2007, 10:41 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Look in the Subaru range and see if any of the cars have a quicker shift then you already have. The probability is that it will be a straight replacement and cheaper to buy direct rather than mucking about with after market stuff. That is certainly the case with BMW's.

Trending Topics

Old 10 July 2007, 11:20 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers guys.

found this pic,

guy not sure if its for a classic,but thinks it will fit as it has a prodrive adapter at the front.........

all new to me...........

looks alot different to above,this an underneath unbolt/rebolt jobby ?
Old 10 July 2007, 11:22 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Is the 1st pic i posted just the gear **** shaft ?????,shorter than the standard,in height ?
Old 11 July 2007, 09:59 AM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

Rig - what car have you got?

As a first step on my WRX Blob I switched the stock leather **** for a Momo Sphere which I could fit as low down as the current shaft would allow (right down to the lip) as it doesn't have a thread inside (you use a rubber adaptor and screws to fix). This made a little bit of difference as the **** is quite a bit shorter than the standard - I think this is a good way around sawing a couple of inches from the shaft.

The only way you can better this is getting a short shifter or taking your current one out, cutting some of the lower half shaft out and welding (not my bag - prefer £150 on a B&M)
Old 11 July 2007, 10:05 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Got a GFB one fitted to my 6 speed 03STi. Sorry to say I'm not entirely convinced. I find the effort to move the lever a little unnatural (perhaps I should eat more shredded wheat). I started off with a 30mm throw (it can be adjusted even shorter) but have now moved it to about 45mm to reduce necessary effort. Also the lever now has a notchy feel as the original lever had a rubber bush and the GFB one used hard plastic bushes. Have to make an effort to be precise with hand movement to get a slick gearchange.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:10 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D1CCY
Got a GFB one fitted to my 6 speed 03STi. Sorry to say I'm not entirely convinced. I find the effort to move the lever a little unnatural (perhaps I should eat more shredded wheat). I started off with a 30mm throw (it can be adjusted even shorter) but have now moved it to about 45mm to reduce necessary effort. Also the lever now has a notchy feel as the original lever had a rubber bush and the GFB one used hard plastic bushes. Have to make an effort to be precise with hand movement to get a slick gearchange.
So you wouldn't recommend? I was thinking of getting this fitted next month. I got used to the short, "tight" gear box in my 350z and moving to the scoob find it too easy to miss 3rd when driving hard... I thought this would help.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:33 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

With hindsight I don't think I'd have done it. Some might prefer it and some not, it might be a matter of taste (not quite the right word but you get my drift).

I'd suggest you find someone who has had it done and try before you buy, coming right down to 30mm in one go is quite a shock - believe me. If you come to Elvington for any events you could have a feel of mine (DOH).

Last edited by D1CCY; 11 July 2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Doh - Realised how last sentence looks
Old 11 July 2007, 07:23 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

I have been asked loads of time's if we can supply short shifter for newage sti's and at the mo we can't because I only have a wrx and they are only 5 speed and you don't need to press it down / or pull it up to put it in reverse..

If someone can supply me either a aftermarket short shifter or a oem short shifter for a newage sti ( 6 speed) to develop one , I will glady make them a freebee up for exchange in testing for me ,

Let me know - i'll keep a eye on the thread , I was gonna post a new thread but I thought I'd hijack

Cheers chris
Old 11 July 2007, 07:39 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

chris,the 2nd pic i posted up, is that a proper quick shift kit for a classic ?

not really sure what im looking at etc/how thy work,presume they have a shorter gear stick shaft and shorter linkage to the gearbox ????

cheers
Old 11 July 2007, 07:42 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

It looks like a newage 5 speed to me
Old 11 July 2007, 07:43 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

All that is meant to be different it the shaft is shorter
Old 11 July 2007, 08:23 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

o.k,cheers.
he did say he bought a prodrive adapter that can be seen at the front to make it fit a classic

cheers anyhoo
Old 11 July 2007, 08:29 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

I maybe wrong as im not 100% sure how the 6 speed works
Old 11 July 2007, 08:34 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would fitting these possibly knacker the synchros quicker as you're getting in to gear fractionally quicker?
Old 11 July 2007, 08:43 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

What a small world.

i was just about to post a thread about the GFB short shifter. And if anybody has fitted one? the write-up about them sounds good, but do they work as well as they say they do?

milsport and rallynuts do them for £140 all in.
Old 11 July 2007, 09:36 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

the 2nd pic i posted,whys it got all the gubbins with it if its just a shorter gear **** shaft thats required ??
Old 12 July 2007, 08:42 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

No they're not just a shorter shaft. The ball pivot at the bottom is fixed and the rod to the gearbox is attached to the shaft. These kits raise the attachment of the rod to the shaft so the rod to the box moves further relative to the gearstick movement. Downside is some loss of mechanical advantage and more effort is required - hence my minor gripes above. The GFB kits make this pivot point adjustable with an alloy collar and grub screw on the shaft. On my 6 speed I found 30mm throw uncomfortable and have lowered the pivot point so I get about 45mm throw and I prefer this.
Old 12 July 2007, 09:24 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
If it's on a classic, you can get it to feel a whole lot better by removing the old gearknob, then fitting a Momo round one, as low down as poss.

Alcazar

This is very true. The round silver Momo/Subaru **** makes gear changing much more precise than the slim leather standard one. Cheaper than a quickshift too.
Old 12 July 2007, 10:47 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive 5 spd qshift assemblyfrom my old 03 wagon just had a shorter gear stick. The bushes may well have been different but I couldn't tell.
I presume that the whole assembly is supplied, rather than just the stick to avoid gear change problems with it being fitted to cars with a few miles on them and having worn changer bushes & links.

nick
Old 13 December 2008, 06:07 PM
Paucatuman
Scooby Regular

I sooo glad I've found this thread. I have only just got my 1st Scooby - AWD Turbo MY00 - and one of my first impressions is that the gearstick seems very long and 'yes' the travel is very long.
Short term, to prevent the 'spending lots straight away' syndrome, I think I will be solving the situation with some help from my hacksaw.
Old 13 December 2008, 10:30 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar
Hehe exactly what I did, I purchased the Richbrook Titanium gearknob and short shaft sleave.

Then I got a drill and bored out about another 10 mm from inside the gearknob to make it sit lower down (it secures to the shaft using 3 hex bolts). Then I carefully got the original leather gator and slipped it over the short shaft - looks like a factory fit and the throw has been reduced loads now.
Old 13 December 2008, 11:34 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rig

I've got a genuine Bugeye Prodrive 5 speed short shifter somewhere in the garage

Class

Shaun
Old 14 December 2008, 01:11 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The ones pictured above appear to be for 5 speed MY93-98.

Here is my own design of short shift that we have done since around 2002. These are for all 5 speed MY99 >. Until now they were made as oneoffs. The block which connects to the linkage can move up and down the gear lever to adjust the throw. It is located by a grub screw. The pinions are nylon bushed. £70 each and made from light weight aluminium which is then anodized.