Sponsored by:

Went for a ride in the new age STi

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2000, 07:33 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Michael our local ex rally driver took us out for a little run in the new STi. That guy can drive! I think we were the first to take the car out apart from the delivery driver. Plastic covers on seats.. Didn't have that new car smell which was strange since our sti6 still smells lovely

Anyway my impressions/ramblings :

Looked silly - LIGHTS! and the rear spoiler wasn't much cop either. Nice wheels/brakes though. I have seen the normal WRX in the flesh and to be honest the STi was not a huge improvement.

Inside - Nice, but very similar to the old, much better doors (open/closes more like a proper car even with the window down)

Ride - Cool, again felt like the sti 5/6 2 door (nice and bouncy without being trashy) probably because the suspension is bilsten again. Very different to the old 4 doors. The suspension sat high, quite a lot higher that our sti6typer, but seemed just as hard.

Performance - dunno, car was not run in yet. Engine seemed pretty much the same, same lugging at low revs and sounded just any other sti. Gears felt very notchy but were very close together - felt nothing like our box. No body roll at all, which was a big improvement on the 4 door and corned very neutrally.

All in all, I'm happy I didnt wait for the new STi, but then again I'm sure I would be very happy with it. Handling is still incredible and it has kept its true form. Watch out for the 2 door version if they make one...