Sponsored by:

Clutch sent for skimming ???

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2007, 09:27 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch sent for skimming ???

Had to send the old mans 54 plate WRX in for its 40k service tother week and raised another issue while there. The clutch has been slipping badly (3rd gear going into boost especially) and is supposed to last 75k. Now I know what youre thinking, shouldnt dump the clutch and thrash it so much. The car is a daily driver and has never seen 6krpm or had the clutch dumped as we have track cars for that sort of crap. The car is always driven sensibly.

So Subaru have said that its unlikely that it would be replaced for free even though they said it should last 75k if driven correctly, which it is. It went in yesterday for the clutch work to see if it had been boyraced and whether we will have to pay. My old man rang up later to see what the crack was and they said the clutch had been sent away for skimming and thats it. I dont know much about scooby engines and its workings and Ive not heard of this term before, but I do know a lot about other engines.
Can someone explain please?

cheers
Old 06 July 2007, 09:40 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Flywheel skimming possibly
Old 06 July 2007, 09:46 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

As above.

Remember clutches don't have to boyracered to kill them.....Using it to hold the car on hills or slipping it too much in slow traffic will kill it very quickly indeed.
Old 06 July 2007, 10:16 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

As I said, its driven sensibly. The clutch isnt slipped or ridden and is used properly. Which is why I cant understand its early wearing.

they said it wouldnt be replaced free if it had been boyraced. I think in their experience the should be able to tell by now. silly narnas.
Old 06 July 2007, 10:35 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The Subaru clutch is pretty small for the torque that goes through it 230mm on yours, bear in mind that Ford went to 240mm on late 1.6 CVH engines. Although it can grip fine, its heat capacity is marginal and as such any slipping and its faces overheat very quickly and wear faster, even just reversing up a steep drive can have them smelling. The fact the Flywheel needs refacing would also indicate overheating although that could be after its started slipping due to being worn out.

A failure at 40K, I would write to Subaru UK asking for at least a contribution to this 'premature' failure.

Simon
Old 07 July 2007, 08:13 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Not only is the clutch relatively small for the amount of torque it is handling, both first and reverse gears are relatively tall compared to other cars, and this requires you to slip the clutch more just driving normally

Echoing what rookie said, my drive isn't that steep, but the clutch on my Legacy always smells when I've reversed up it
Old 07 July 2007, 10:27 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

What usage does the car get? I'd expect the clutch to last 75000 miles if it was a motorway muncher, but if it's just used around town, then 40-50K is acceptable.

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2007, 01:32 PM
MikeyTang
Scooby Regular

Mine lasted abt 40k on an 03 sti. It slipped during a mapping session with Bob Rawle. He was very surprised it only lasted 40k. Had the car from new and its never been abused. No steep drive or riding clutch during traffic.
Old 07 July 2007, 01:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't know ... something is very wrong hereabouts.

My Clutch is now on 80,000 miles ... used around town mainly.

Now, either I have a remarkable Impreza that never wears out or I do something different to others on here who claim to be 'ever so gentle' with their vehicles

I can only put it down to the fact that I know how to drive properly - I use engine braking instead of brakes - I engage the clutch smoothly under as few revs as possible - I drive below 3000 RPM for 95% of the time - I service the car sensibly - I keep it pretty much as the Subaru Designers presented it to me as the very best their £££££££££ Millions could offer.

In answer to your question - the Flywheel has been sent away for skimming, not the Clutch. This is because it is pitted/burned/contaminated.

You do not need to know about Subaru engines to understand how a clutch works ..... it's pretty much standard across all makes and countries
Old 07 July 2007, 04:01 PM
MikeyTang
Scooby Regular

you really dont miss an opportunity do you
Old 07 July 2007, 04:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyTang
you really dont miss an opportunity do you
Nope