Proof Of Alarm System???

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2000, 03:33 AM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hia

ive just insured my new Terzo, and the insurance company are asking for either proof of fitment of a CAT 1 alarm, or a signed deceleration from myself stating that the car has one fitted.The second option i do not like, as insurance companies seem to have a nasty habit of trying to wriggle out of claims etc.

So the question been , wheres the best place to get conformation of the alarm been fitted??...i rang my local Cobra dealership, but they are wanting to strip the car down before issuing any certificates

( oh, and ive already contacted the previous owner, who hasnt a clue where the certificate is for it )
Old 03 December 2000, 02:47 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Is it a factory fit alarm, if yes why not pop into your local scooby dealership and see what they can do.

Si
Old 03 December 2000, 03:39 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Dick,

As the Terzo was based on the MY98 like my old one, I presume it came without the factory fit alarm, but it's best to check.

However, on the basis that he had it fitted, the previous owner must know where he had the alarm installed, even if he doesn't know where the original certificate is. If you contact the fitters they should be able to provide you with either a copy of the certificate, or a letter confirming the installation.

Josh
Old 03 December 2000, 04:16 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Funnily enough I was having a stereo installed at my local audio/security shop and the same thing happened a guy walk in a said he had swopped insurance companies and they want to see his VSIB installation certificate. the told him to leave the car with them and they would check out the install and provide hime with a new certificate. I think they told him a tenner for a new one to cover admin.

Seemed a common problem to them .

Go back to the original installers as previously suggested.

cheers

chrisp
Old 03 December 2000, 05:07 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well said that man

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 03 December 2000).]
Old 03 December 2000, 05:09 PM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

Hi Dick
I had the same problem when insuring my P1.
All I sent to them was a photocopy of the relavent pages from the owners manual.

Nige K
Old 03 December 2000, 06:25 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I used to work for Clifford Electronics training installers thorugh out the UK on security fitting.
Most Incar security installers can provide you with a certificate or a written letter stating information on the install.
The reason they strip down your car is so that they can get the serial number off the unit which is quite good proof that you have one.
Also they can check on the install, you would be suprised what i have seen under dashboards.
I have just striped down mmy99 to check on the install becuase most of them are dock fits,, which most installers dont like and rush the job as there down at the docks in all sorts of weather.
But I'm glad to report a very good install.

Dave.
Old 04 December 2000, 12:27 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

MY Scooby came with a Certificate of installation for the Cobra Imob Unit.

IF you have an aftermarket job then an autorised reseller will do an inspection and issue a certificate but itll cost ya.

IF it was a Standard option a scooby garrage may help, but again I doubt they will do it for free unless you got the car from them.

Most Insurance companies dont have a good databse of special models which is probly the makers fault rather than thier own. Also some Special models are not Factory, but Dealer making it hard to prove that they have had the bits fitted.

You cant blame the Insuranc companies for wanting proof.

Anyway My insurance is £450 full comp + BizMiles Left on the road.
Old 04 December 2000, 12:37 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

GranTurismo.
You must be about 400 years old with 370 years NCB......
Old 04 December 2000, 08:47 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

This all seems like buffoonery to me!
Didn't the Terzo come originally with a Thatcham rated alarm?
If this is the case, there should be no need for the insurance company to ask for the certification, should there?
When I bought my Terzo, I did get the certificate but was then "asked" to install a third immobiliser by a company which the insurance company suggested.
And this year, with all these lovely security gadgets in place my insurance went down by 48%.
Oh, no ... sorry! It went up. I'm now back in the thousand pound a year bracket. Not that I'm bitter
Old 04 December 2000, 12:55 PM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks guys

i`ll give the original dealer who supplied the car a ring tomorrow, see what they come up with.

Old 04 December 2000, 01:30 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Dick

Ask IM customer services to send you a letter confirming that your reg no. was fitted with X alartm system.

Worked for me with DirectLine.

Cheers!
Old 04 December 2000, 09:26 PM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

errr, not wanting to sound daft, but what does " IM " mean???

i actually contacted the original supplier of the car today, and they said that they would most probably be able to get proof of fitment for me, but that i should ring them back at the end of the week

Hence i`ve tonight posted my " Letter Of Declaration" back to the insurance company, and will have to forward the relevant paper work onto them once i receive it from the Dealership....hopefully!

Thing that bugs me, is that they`ve insured a car that they basically know nothing about, the cars fitted with a CAT 1 as standard, and yet they don`t know it???? ...total shambles i.m.o.

Thx anyway guys
Old 04 December 2000, 11:13 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

"IM" is international motors, aka Subaru UK. They are the official imports of UK spec Subarus.

I had a 1998 'S' reg UK spec impreza and it didnt come with a cat 1 alarm. The MY99 impreza did as standard. I am not sure about the Terzo as it was a special edition and they may have fitted an alarm to it but probably not as it was a special edition MY98. Personally, I had a cat 1 fitted to my UK scooby. Most cars of that age seem to have had a cobra or a clifford fitted.

cheers

chris