Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a Scoob without S/H Book?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2007, 10:19 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a Scoob without S/H Book?

Was about to do a deal with a V reg Mica Blue Scoob yesterday, when the guy told me that the Service Book had been lost, however, he DID have a shed full of reciepts for servicing and parts and bits and bobs, but not many from Subaru, mainly from Indie and the like.
The car is in great nick, and has had quite a bit of money spent on it, like a recent new clutch, radiator, MAF, Oxy sensor, New Alloys, but I was really put off by the lack of service book. Its had 5 owners.

I need peoples thoughts to make up my mind.

I was letting him have my BM 325SE on a Y plate, worth around 6k in a straight swap
Old 02 July 2007, 10:32 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

If its in good condition and it looks like its been looked after then I probably would. But I would have at least got it serviced as soon as I got the car home to be on the safe side.

Only problem you would have is when you come to sell it, as any potential buyer will be thinking the same as you do now, But if your going to keep it for a few years and you can build up a service history again you might be all right!!!!

At the end of the day its a £6k car, If you was buying a car for £30k then I would say walk away!!!!!!
Old 02 July 2007, 10:37 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I'd walk away!

I'd never buy a car without one, especially a high performance car, £6k sounds too much as well! You'll have the same trouble selling it on when the time comes.

There's plenty of cars out there with a service history, so why buy one without?
Old 02 July 2007, 11:10 AM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
I'd walk away!

I'd never buy a car without one, especially a high performance car, £6k sounds too much as well! You'll have the same trouble selling it on when the time comes.

There's plenty of cars out there with a service history, so why buy one without?
I don't see this as too much of an issue with what is by now a 10 year old car. Imports will rarely come with a service book either. By all means have the car inspected if you have any doubts and this is worth its weight in gold.

If there is no service book then that is also a great bargaining point too .

Why walk away from a good car? A book of receips is just as good in my eyes. This can also validate work done to the car in its life.

Regards
Old 02 July 2007, 11:15 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

A wad of recipts from an Indie is worth far more than a full Subaru service history to me. At least i know that no brain dead main dealer monkeys have worked on it !!
Old 02 July 2007, 11:30 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Thats 2 to 1!!! Ohhhhhhhh, I thought LOADS of people would put me off

I know what you mean though, a 10yr old motor having no history is not uncommon, but with the Scoob, its a slightly different issue.

Im thinking of selling the BM for 6k, and offering around 5.5k or even less! Then Ive got a little cash to play with should anything go wrong.

It has been looked after by the looks of things, and has a Clifford CAT1 and Blackjaxx on it too!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 02 July 2007, 11:30 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

A guy has just bought mine and like the disorganized pleb that i am mislaid the SH book - however i did have a stack of receipts/bills and invoices of services from day dot.
Old 02 July 2007, 11:36 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amahrap
A wad of recipts from an Indie is worth far more than a full Subaru service history to me. At least i know that no brain dead main dealer monkeys have worked on it !!

True, True but Ive always got for FSH with reciepts and the book. But yes, Ive seen some very dodgey work done by dealers, and indies are normally much better.
Old 02 July 2007, 11:38 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
A guy has just bought mine and like the disorganized pleb that i am mislaid the SH book - however i did have a stack of receipts/bills and invoices of services from day dot.
Arrghhh, but yours was WELL below book price wasnt it??? Thats fair doo's I suppose. I think a stamped book puts about £500 onto the price of a car (unless Im mistaken)

I am now thinking I should go and get it!! DOH!
Old 02 July 2007, 12:22 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

This is my old MK00 UK 2000 you viewed yesterday...
I was at Ben's house when you first come to view the car a couple of weeks ago mate... I come down with a mate in the Polo...
I told Ben I never had the book with it...
I know its a nice thing to have... but I wouldn't let it put you off buying the car mate... theres plenty of bills for servicing etc...

Everyone who knows me on here knows how well my cars are looked after/ pampered...
I know the car has changed abit since I've owned it... but all in all its still been serviced and looked after...

A link to what the car used to look like...

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-uk-turbo.html

And as it is now...

Subaru : 4x4 2000 TURBO Vreg

PS... If you do end up doing the deal with Ben...

I'll end up doing a px with your old BM plus some cash so Ben will have this:-

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-back-out.html

Only reason for me parting with my Type R is to fund my 1st house...

If you need to know anymore about the car just PM...

Owner wise...

1st owner was someone off here... who had the car on plate number N1 JLO

2nd owner was a lad from my work... He had it for 1 year, but decided he wanted to have a scheme car through work... ( Bentley ) Your can have any , skoda, vw, seat, audi etc off them... quite cheap aswell, nice thing having a new car every 6 months if thats what your into...

3rd owner... was me!!! I had it, put S555 OOB plate on it... had it 2 years, only reason I sold it was because I was offered a mates type R... ( LONG STORY TO IT, BUT I ENDED UP DOING A SWAP )

4th owner... Lad called James... didn't have it longer than 6 months...

5th owner... Ben...

Last edited by Scoobyslammed; 02 July 2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02 July 2007, 12:49 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

I wish I had the money to but a minter like that....I'm missing having a scoob plenty!
Old 02 July 2007, 12:51 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Well cheers for that. Ben did say that you were on here. I wasnt thinking anything was dodgey, and I told Ben that, I just have always gone for cars with a stamped book, and I sell my cars faster than Fords Of Winsford, so having the book would help.

It looks a lot lower when you had it?? Has the suspension changed???

And those wheels look nice too, like my Compromotives.

Is it worth putting the BM in Ben's name then May aswell stick it straight into your name
Old 02 July 2007, 12:57 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Stupid PC! Double posted deleted

Last edited by LIDDO; 02 July 2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02 July 2007, 01:13 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by LIDDO
Well cheers for that. Ben did say that you were on here. I wasnt thinking anything was dodgey, and I told Ben that, I just have always gone for cars with a stamped book, and I sell my cars faster than Fords Of Winsford, so having the book would help.

It looks a lot lower when you had it?? Has the suspension changed???

And those wheels look nice too, like my Compromotives.

Is it worth putting the BM in Ben's name then May aswell stick it straight into your name

I had AVO's on it back then... had to send them back twice for rebuilding, in the end got my money back and went back to standards...
Wheels were 18inch OZ Chrono's... when Ben had it, one wheel cracked ( faulty??? )
As these wheels were no longer made, the easiest thing to do was replace them...

The BMW doc's... sort that with Ben...
I need my car for another few weeks, gotta sort out the 2 stage boost, a map tweak, and fit the oil catcher tank...
So i'm busy on it at the mo...
He's having mine off me for 11K... So if we do do the deal on the BM, I need to sell the BM on again quick so I have my 11K to go towards the house...
I move in beginning of August!!!

I don't want the Type R to go as its a mega car, and well respected on here... but... 11K to be tied up in a car that doesn't get used everyday I can't justify... and with just buying my 1st house with my G/F, it would be stupid to keep it...
I will have another one someday...

You could always just come and buy the Type R off me...

Last edited by Scoobyslammed; 02 July 2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02 July 2007, 01:26 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyslammed
I will have another one someday...
I said I wouldnt, and now Im after another! DOH!

Well, the BM should sell on easily, I just really havent advertised it enough, as I cant be bothered with all the hassle that goes with it. Swapping is far much easier!

Oh! the brakes on the front, they look larger than normal, did you put them on?? Are they 6 pot calipers???

Cheers
Old 02 July 2007, 01:29 PM
fbladerrv900
Scooby Regular

Inytresting thread.
I bought my impreza with no S/H just had some paperwork like new battery new tyres/ the car was pretty cheap and in the back of my head i knew i should off walked away.
But touch wood 7 months later ive had no major problems like some of these guys on line have,
the fuel pump gave up the ghost after a few months but thats been it.
At the end of the day a car can have all the paperwork in the world, but it can still go wrong 5 miles down the road.
I was lucky i think....
any way best of luck with it the car looks preety speacial.
Old 02 July 2007, 01:37 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

I said I wouldnt, and now Im after another! DOH!

Well, the BM should sell on easily, I just really havent advertised it enough, as I cant be bothered with all the hassle that goes with it. Swapping is far much easier!

Oh! the brakes on the front, they look larger than normal, did you put them on?? Are they 6 pot calipers???

Cheers
Hope the BM will sell on again easy, has that problem been sorted with the light on the dash???
The Subaru 4 pots were standard on a MY00... The calipers just want painting again...
Old 02 July 2007, 01:40 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Arrghhh, but yours was WELL below book price wasnt it??? Thats fair doo's I suppose. I think a stamped book puts about £500 onto the price of a car (unless Im mistaken)

I am now thinking I should go and get it!! DOH!

I do have it somewhere and i will pass it on (when i damn well find it)

The car was being sold at that price regardless of the SH.

And i'm missing it already, it was a great car
Old 02 July 2007, 01:45 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You could always call the Subaru garage who serviced it and/or is on the receipts and get more info.

In answer to your question, yes i would if completely happy.
Old 02 July 2007, 01:53 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

You may aswell phone Ben back now...lol

At the end of the day you know the history of the car...
Its had alot of bits changed... ie, MAF, Oxygen sensor etc... cambelt etc has been done, regular oil changes etc...
Also, it had the gearbox rebuild due to losing 5th gear... it had 4th and 5th done, reverse, and there was something up with the diff when closer inspected...
Its had sensible mods done...
It drives nice with no noises...

What are you playing at... all it wants is a good days valet and it'll be as good as new...
And if you clean under the arches you might find that I painted the underside... for the extra mint look...
Old 02 July 2007, 02:30 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

And if you clean under the arches you might find that I painted the underside... for the extra mint look...
LOL, he did say you'd done that (cant find the smileys to do the Cuckoo one )

Im sure I'll be polishing it when I get it home, and I might clean the Scoob too
Old 02 July 2007, 03:23 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

LOL, he did say you'd done that (cant find the smileys to do the Cuckoo one )

Im sure I'll be polishing it when I get it home, and I might clean the Scoob too
I dont have any smileys??? WHY???
Old 02 July 2007, 03:55 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

I dont have any smileys??? WHY???

I think we need to coff up some cash, and become a "proper" member or something?

The deed is done anyway, Im meeting Ben tonight. Hope it doesnt rain..........AGAIN!
Old 02 July 2007, 05:54 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

i bought mine without s/h, mine's an import
i think i have a pretty good idea of what to check and look out for so after going over it and seeing receipts for work done since it was in the country i decided to go for it
taking it to the garage for work i've had done they've confirmed it's fine and have built up a good history of all the work done since i've owned it
i think it's as much a comfort blanket to have the service book, there's nothing to stop you getting a mate at the garage to stamp it without doing any work is there..............